• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

triple bag versus a single bag-Protec

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if a triple bag is a better way to go if you want to carry everything but probably not two or three horns that often.

Say one Bb, 4 mutes, trumpet stand, tape recorder, water bottle and those huge oversize music folders. Wouldn't a triple handle that better than a single?

The two cases I like are the Protec Xtreme and the Protec Triple. Maybe I can't get away from carrying the music separately.

Thanks for any input and private message me if you have gig bags you want to sell at a real good price.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Protec triple. I used to use it to carry trumpet, cornet, and some mutes. Here's my take on it:

My Getzen Eterna 800 cornet won't fit...the valves on that model are "too tall". (I used to use a Yamaha cornet but dealt "UP" and don't have much use at the moment for the Getzen).
Attempting to push certain mutes (like an adjustable cup mute) into the slot can result in deforming the sides of the 3rd trumpet holder.
The case protects well, but is really BIG and awkward to carry; tough to go through doorways with it slung over your shoulder.

I'm now using a "Torpedo Bag" with the extra accessory attachment. It holds my Bb plus a cleaning kit, extra mouthpiece, Wick adjustable cup mute, Jo-Ral bubble mute, Wick straight mute, K&M 5 leg stand, tuner, metronome, and a couple of other little 'bits n pieces'. It affords EXCELLENT protection for the trumpet, has backpack straps, and a flat "wrap-around" pocket for a music book or two (as long as they're not hardcover).

The Protec is now a "storage case". That means "the case is in storage" until I find another need for it.
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a single Durbin gig bag for my trumpet. It is so light and easy to handle it is a real joy to use. It will take an in-the-bell stand, plus mouthpieces, tuner, valve oil etc, but that is all. I use a satchel similar in size and shape to a laptop bag to carry everything else. Either bag can go on my back for long walks (who needs a dog!)

If you are only carrying one horn, and have more stuff then you can fit into a single case, then I suggest the single gig bag and another bag for stuff. Just make sure the satchel can go on your back or shoulder to leave a hand free.

For me, I would like another gig bag for my flugel. The gig bags are so light and compact it would be easy to carry trumpet and flugel in two separate gig bags in one hand, with the satchel for the heavy stuff.

Just be thankful you don't play tuba!
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Good input. I have problems with stuff on my shoulders and getting thru doorways as it is. So if that triple bag is like a dive bag, I can imagine the hassle.

Right now I'm using either a hard case or cheapie gigbag. And then I have an old Toshiba laptop bag for the music folder and mutes. I'll have to start carrying a flugel soon too.

I'm afraid someone will rip me off thinking there's a computer in there.
Carusofiedagain
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my BAM double trekking, but thats too big if you have sholder problems. My freind has a torpedo bag, and it is a very good bag. If your looking for cases, check out:
http://www.dillonmusic.com

"Do not be afraid to copy someones style, it is through this process that we begin to develop our own."~Phil Smith, New York Philharmonic principal trumpet
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been prety happy with the triple case from BrassBags. They're from the UK but I got one in Canada. It you're only carrying two horns there's room for mutes in the middle. The adjustable cup would be the way to go though. I've got a fixed cup Jo-Ral and it's a pretty tight fit. There's plenty of room in one of the pouches for oil, tuners, etc. A large music folder would stick out of the top though. The case is pretty small, no body every believes me when I tell them I've got two big horns, a picc, and a couple mutes in it.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Bach double case for a long time. Look in the Giardinelli catalogue. I saw a picture of it in there. Its not the best case but you can get a lot of stuff in there.

I used this case for about five years and never damaged a horn. The trumpet is hard to get in and out though.

I stopped using it because I got a Monette and I was scared to use that case.

Now looking back, It was kind of heavy. I think two trips to the car works better but if your in college and you have to walk everywhere maybe it's for you.
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two different bags. One is a Reunion Blues super large triple trumpet, and two is a protec contour single. The Reunion Blues is great for big band gigs. I put my Bb, Flugel and use the third section for all the mutes used for big band. There is also a side pocket for music. However, I don't play much big band anymore. My wife bought me a protec single for christmas. It is nice not to lug around all that other stuff around if I don't need it. I currently play at a church and 9 times out of 10 I only use a Bb and have my music memorized or play by ear. So it works for me.

[ This Message was edited by: Jon Arnold on 2004-01-03 10:41 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: