• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breathing warm up ideas (before playing)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rburrows

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Breathing warm up ideas (before playing) Reply with quote

Fairly common for me is that a few minutes into a gig, I'll be playing maybe an A above the staff and feel like I'm about to pass out. After that, I'm fine for the rest of the night...1, 2 or 3 sets (these days mostly disco 10 piece). I'm guessing because I don't do a full warm up since it's awkward to play for 5-10 minutes in a bar or club. So last gig, before start time, I took a handful of very large breaths and I don't recall having this issue.

Are there any standard breathing warm ups before playing or have any of the method books addressed this? I've played through most of the main ones...Arban, Schlossberg, Clarke, etc. and i don't see this being addressed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Ralph
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ralph

the easy answer is yes, there's heaps - try looking up 'breathing gym' on youtube. That would keep most busy for a long long time. Just see what helps for you.

FWIW, I do a fair amount of breathing exercise as I walk the dogs in the early morning.

cheers

Andy
rburrows

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Thanks so much for telling me about this series. Truly appreciated!

Ralph
ddeacon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Wim Hof Method Reply with quote

Hi Ralph,

Check out the Wim Hof Method. It’s an app you can download from the App Store. It’s a little out there but it brings you to that light-headed feeling as a part of the method. Could be worth checking out to see if you can push the limit.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you just need to add a few A's above the staff before you start your gig...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: