• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Airy sound and lousy attacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-03-06 04:06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, when I'm using SC, I get this airy sound sometimes. I've found that it seems to go off when I do a bit of a smile while still puckering. When I use SC, I bring in my corners in order to relax them. This makes a sort of cushion. Could this be the reason why I get an airy sound: that my lips protrude into the mpc?

Another issue is that I find it difficult to tongue thru the teeth, the tongue seems to be restricted.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-03-06 04:43
please hear this http://www.nicolashuang.com/1.wav

and do tell me if there's anything wrong with it, thanks

[ This Message was edited by: nicolashuang on 2003-03-07 04:55 ]

Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-03-07 18:20
Hi

SC really doesn't suggest "bringing in the corners" as much as relaxing the corners. Also try keeping the lips from protruding into the mpc by concentrating on vertical compression in the center only...........remember relaxed corners. The lips should resist the air stream rather than collapse into the cup. The tip of the tongue needs to stay in light contact with the back of the bottom lip. Some fuzziness in the sound might occur at first, but should clear up eventually as the lips and tongue get used to this new setting. Good Luck. Dave C.

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-03-16 06:39
I don't know why I can't seem to play by buzzing into the mpc on the trumpet, when I use enough tension or compression to prevent my embouchure from changing when I blow, the air doesen't seem to be able to come out and it results in a very tight, non trumpet sound. I'll find myself using too much tension from the face also when I do that. Could this be due to my thick lips? Is it okay to place the mpc on purely on the red part of the lip because it is so thick?

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-03-16 11:40
Nicolas, You always want a clean, clear focused sound from SC even when starting. I know of only one SC exercise that allows for a "non-trumpet" sound and that is an advanced compression routine in the upper register. And, Jerry is leary of that exercise for most players because it often promotes an incorrect "whistling" embouchure. In the meantime, I would suggest a lot of spit buzzing in order to bring the facial muscles into correct play. Spit buzzing will give you the needed balance between compression and relaxation in order to get you well started. Carry that feel over into your first trumpet exercises. Make sure you get a good, clean trumpet sound with brilliance.

<<Is it okay to place the mpc on purely on the red part of the lip because it is so thick? >>

Depending on the player, it is OK to set on the red of the lower lip. I don't know if Jerry has found players that could set on the red upper as well so I'll have to leave you up in the air on that one. But remember, lips have to compress BACK against the tongue. For pedal tones, the upper lip collapses into the mouthpiece while the lower lip "collapses" outside the mouthpiece. While in the normal playing range, never allow the lips to collapse forward.

Best regards, Kyle

histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-03-16 11:51
I guess I must be missing something, the great sound that should be present even when starting SC has evaded me for quite some time. Don't misunderstand this as being a negative post, it's just that the last 2 years have really been a struggle.

Bruce

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-03-16 18:35
Bruce, I don't think people will consider yours a negative post, at least I hope not. If there weren't issues that need clarification and friends that need some assistance then we wouldn't have this great forum.

I'm sorry to say that I can't lend any breakthrough help to your situation, at least not without seeing or hearing you. But I can tell you that if you've been struggling with poor sound for any length of time, let alone 2 years, something major is not going correctly. Don't get dispirited; as most of us on this forum will tell you, it's easy to misinterpret and start heading down lots of non-SC alleys. And, the deeper the non-SC habits before you start then the harder the conversion will likely be. Considering the time you've already spent, I thnk it's safe to say that a SC guru is gong to need to see you personally in order to analyze your situation. Personally, I would strongly recommend in-person lessons with Mr. C. Or, if that's not feasible, then phone lessons with him might be the best answer. Best regards, Kyle

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-03-18 07:57
tptguy: when I spit buzz does should I spit buzz a high note or a low one, and loudly or softly?

When I spit buzz and then bring the trumpet into place while continuing to spit buzz I still get the same sound except it is amplified. Could it be because of too much compression?

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-03-18 10:32
<<when I spit buzz does should I spit buzz a high note or a low one, and loudly or softly? >>

To get started, most players need to get a lower note and that's fine. But, as you develop, the notes should start going higher. Do half scales then full scales, arpeggios, etc. Mezzo forte is a good sound level.

<<When I spit buzz and then bring the trumpet into place while continuing to spit buzz I still get the same sound except it is amplified. Could it be because of too much compression?>>

Experiment a little. What do you need to do to retain the feel and general technique of the spit buzz yet produce a good, open, clear, brilliant, focused pitch that is well in tune? Without seeing or hearing you, that would be my best advice - experiment a little, but don't wander far.

Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: