• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

~100 year-old Besson Bb/A Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a common belief in this place and it has expressed before, that instruments of earlier than 1960 are all plagued with sticky valves and questionable intonation.

I have seen members say openly that they will not play on vintage instruments and they claim that all vintage instruments have major issues that render them unplayable as a daily player.

This is totally wrong.

Why not have the issues fixed instead of beefing about it and then avoiding them.

Why did nobody tell Bix Dizzy Chet and Louis that the instruments they played on were not really very good and were unworthy of them.

They seemed to play well on them despite their ancient sticky valves.

Maybe in reality vintage instruments are good instruments and all they need is to be brought back to the quality they once were.

Instruments are machines not works of art, and machines can be rebuilt maintained serviced lubricated cleaned and have parts fabricated and replaced.

I do not accept at all any suggestion that some magical qualities live in what amounts to a bunch of brass pipes and this magic will be lost by being properly maintaining by a qualified pipe repairer.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this to all of you.

An instrument is a collection of brass pipes cleverly assembled.

The fact that you guys make astounding music that can make grown men weep is a testament not to some magical elves living within the pipes but to your skills as artists.

You take a humble tube and you make it magical.

To me this is the magic and if you want to see a real life magician just look in the mirror.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet my Olds Recording makes me happy playing it in a way that no other trumpet ever did. The magic may be all in my mind, but I still need the gear to make it happen.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very simple and I won't waste everyone's time by posting a ton of words to make a ten word point.

Refinishing will definitely change this collection of pipes, especially changing the finish. Which probably cannot be avoided since no one uses the old lacquer.

Repairing dents and changing the stress on portions of the horn by resoldering braces etc, will change the horn.

Refitting the pistons will change the horn. Some famously like the looser valves, as evidenced by the pro, Mendez?, who had the valves manufactured looser because he preferred it.

You might like the changes, you might not. If you like the horn as it plays now you should consider carefully if you want to change it.

Sorry for the long post.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
This is very simple and I won't waste everyone's time by posting a ton of words to make a ten word point.

Refinishing will definitely change this collection of pipes, especially changing the finish. Which probably cannot be avoided since no one uses the old lacquer.

Repairing dents and changing the stress on portions of the horn by resoldering braces etc, will change the horn.

Refitting the pistons will change the horn. Some famously like the looser valves, as evidenced by the pro, Mendez?, who had the valves manufactured looser because he preferred it.

You might like the changes, you might not. If you like the horn as it plays now you should consider carefully if you want to change it.

Sorry for the long post.

I couldn't agree more. Any cosmetic work will in all likelihood alter the way a horn performs. Add to that mechanical repairs or alterations and the changes will be at least as significant.

As for your "long post", (sarcasm alert), you could always break it up into 6 sequential smaller posts as has just been recently done. (See above).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: