• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet or Cornet For My Son?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSkywalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Trumpet or Cornet For My Son? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just looking for some insight into the choice between a trumpet or cornet for my son (age 6). I have gotten feedback that I should look into getting him a cornet because it's size would be better suited for him. But I am of a mind to let him continue with the trumpet (which he loves). My fear is if he goes to a cornet, it would be hard to transition back to a trumpet. I plan on asking his teacher next week, but I like to get different opinions. Any advice on this would be appreciated, thank you!

More info: He's currently 7 lessons in.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Cornet or trumpet Reply with quote

I am biased and I prefer the sound of the cornet. Until I bought a professional trumpet didn't find the sound I wanted.
Have owned many horns, even the beat up cornets sounded good. The cornet has a more expressive sound to my ears.
The major difference I found is the trumpet projects more. When I practice at home, my wife and kids complain about the noise of the trumpet not the cornet.
Buy a used trumpet and a cornet. If he wants only the trumpet, tell him musicians need a back up horn.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend cornet. He is young, and it is easier to hold and “sound good on”, which would encourage further development.
Not to be confrontational, but what is up with the “he loves trumpet” observation, when he has only 7 lessons under his belt. He is just a kid! Opinions will change, in all likelihood.

Get a good student cornet, like a Yamaha or Getzen, and if/when he improves (through proper teaching), and shows a willingness to stick with it, then buy a trumpet. Cornets are much less expensive.

Brian
MSkywalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet or trumpet Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
I am biased and I prefer the sound of the cornet. Until I bought a professional trumpet didn't find the sound I wanted.
Have owned many horns, even the beat up cornets sounded good. The cornet has a more expressive sound to my ears.
The major difference I found is the trumpet projects more. When I practice at home, my wife and kids complain about the noise of the trumpet not the cornet.
Buy a used trumpet and a cornet. If he wants only the trumpet, tell him musicians need a back up horn.

Having both is a good suggestion, I will look into it...thank you!
MSkywalker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Starry wrote:
I recommend cornet. He is young, and it is easier to hold and “sound good on”, which would encourage further development.
Not to be confrontational, but what is up with the “he loves trumpet” observation, when he has only 7 lessons under his belt. He is just a kid! Opinions will change, in all likelihood.

Get a good student cornet, like a Yamaha or Getzen, and if/when he improves (through proper teaching), and shows a willingness to stick with it, then buy a trumpet. Cornets are much less expensive.

Brian

Hi Brian,

Yes, he does love the trumpet. He already owns one (he got it for Christmas last year). He wants to practice everyday and looks forward to his lessons...he's always enthusiastic about learning new songs and has so far learned 3. Not saying that he won't come to love other instruments in the future, but right now he loves his horn. Thank you for your feedback
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ten years i was the adult brass instructor for a large symphonic wind band. Most of the 50+ brass I started off on either cornet or trumpet with similar methods. Trumpet or cornet was decided by what instruments were available when each youngster started out.

The really surprising element was how each 'camp' developed and how distinct personality types changed to the instrument of their choice and inclination.

Trumpet players tended to be much more extrovert and 'louder' personalities.....cornet people tended to be much more musical and thjoughtful personalities. Interestingly there was no obvious distinction between grils and boys, they all just gravitated to their instruments of choice as their abilities developed and although I'm a cornet player I soon learned to be careful about any statement of qualities in either instrument and to just 'let nature take it's course'.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a good story Bob!
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet
MSkywalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
For ten years i was the adult brass instructor for a large symphonic wind band. Most of the 50+ brass I started off on either cornet or trumpet with similar methods. Trumpet or cornet was decided by what instruments were available when each youngster started out.

The really surprising element was how each 'camp' developed and how distinct personality types changed to the instrument of their choice and inclination.

Trumpet players tended to be much more extrovert and 'louder' personalities.....cornet people tended to be much more musical and thjoughtful personalities. Interestingly there was no obvious distinction between grils and boys, they all just gravitated to their instruments of choice as their abilities developed and although I'm a cornet player I soon learned to be careful about any statement of qualities in either instrument and to just 'let nature take it's course'.

I agree with delano, great story! And that makes a lot of sense...it will just work itself out eventually. Thank you and everyone for the valuable feedback!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your son is already on a trumpet and loves it ... let him have a go at it!

Eventually he will find out about cornets, and may / may not change his preferences. Note though, there are two rather distinct types of cornet setups:
A) deep-V mouthpiece, usually paired with a shepherd-crook cornet - more suited to brass band music;
B) U-shaped, shallower mouthpiece, usually paired with an American-style (no shepherd crook) cornet - these approach trumpets in projection and generally sit between the trumpet and shepherd-crook cornet in tone (closer to trumpets, though).
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, the boy is 6 (six!).
MSkywalker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Come on, the boy is 6 (six!).

What was this in response to?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught beginner band for almost 2 decades. Those lessons either started at 4th or 5th grade - the students were between 9 and 11. Many of my 9 year olds were pretty small. I would have had trouble dealing with a trumpet at 6 - probably even a cornet.

But, that's just my opinion and experience. 6 is a bit young, but whatever. I guess they're already playing, so that cat's out of the bag.

While there are differences between cornet and trumpet, and I appreciate Bob's story about personalities and choice, I'd just go with something that would be more manageable physically, which would be a cornet due to the shorter nature of the instrument. Actual trumpet players can quibble about the differences, but in the broad scheme of things - they're pretty much the same instrument.

- They have the same fingerings.
- The standard models are both pitched in Bb.
- They read the same music, have the same method books, techniques and pedagogy are the same.
- Until you get to higher level specialized ensembles, trumpets and cornet sit in the same section in band - completely intermixed and interchangeable.

I hope this clarifies things for the OP.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he has a trumpet now and likes it, then why get anything? Just let him keep doing what he's doing. Believe me, if he sticks with it, you'll have PLENTY of opportunity to buy more horns later!

keith
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet (in the US) seems to be the standard for school-aged players. Playing cornet will likely get various reactions from the other kids for being an 'odd ball' instrument.

If the child can handle the size & weight of a trumpet, then that would be my choice.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had my druthers, I'd start all kids on cornet for the reasons stated, a more compact design (hands closer to the body), a little easier to control physically, AND the tone tends to be a bit more mellow or rounded (less brackish).

The move to beginner trumpets has been primarlly economic driven - imagine telling a prospective parent that, "your chlld will start on this instrument, and will eventually want to switch to this other one" Why can't we just start on the other one.... Plus, music stores that provide those rentals and sales would have to stock and maintain more instruments - just not cost effective.

I personnly enjoyed the fact that I was "different" in band - having a cornet into my HS years... Then buying a trumpet was a huge thing.

Switching from one to the other will take little to no time.

If you have or can find a cornet that you can buy, i'd go for it.. but I htink you'll find that trumpets are much more available at your local music store - you'll have more choices at hand.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Trumpet Reply with quote

Mskywalker
I am curious what trumpet you bought for you son.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
MSkywalker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Mskywalker
I am curious what trumpet you bought for you son.

The trumpet was a Christmas gift from his aunt, a cheap Cecilio...appropriate for a 6 year old. Once he improves enough I will upgrade him, I have my eye on either a Yamaha YTR-2320 or a Bach TR300H2, in the next year or so.

____

To everyone who left a suggestion or thought: Thank you! I think for now I will leave him with the trumpet as he has done well with it so far, no need to rock the boat.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest this horn to start on:

CarolBrass CTR-2000H

These horns are very well made in Taiwan.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he is comfortable holding the trumpet then he should continue on trumpet. I remember when I started at age 10, the trumpet was manageable, but big. Watch him carefully to see if he is managing with it comfortably. If not he should switch since it might get him into bad habits later on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: