• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Okay, so it's 2 A.M. where I am and I.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't figure out what song this is! I was walking to this kitchen to grab a Dr. Pepper and I started to hear this wonderful orchestration in my head, and in comes this neat little trumpet riff, the next measure a vocalist makes a statement and the trumpet then plays the statement back.

I know i've heard the song a billion times! I just can't for the life of me remember the lyrics or the name. So I grabbed my c trumept and recorded a little bit of what i'm remembering.

Go to http://www.freewebs.com/redwolf/ to hear the file. I had to make a free account somewhere so you guys don't east up all by bandwidth.

I appreciate whoever can tell me waht htis is. I apologise now for the sound quality and my intonation, but since it is 2 am I couldn't play very loudly without causing problems.

Thanks again!

Jon
DSanchee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that Let the Bright Seraphim? If so then you've probably heard Wynton playing it with Kathleen Battle. Hope this helps.

Derek
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DSanchee,
I appreciate the speedy response. It just downloaded a sound clip and you were right. Unfortunately what I heard in my head was a little different than the recording. I like the Marsalis recording, but does anyone know of any other folks that have recorded this? I remember the vocalist had a little nicer voice than Battle....

Jon
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are loads of recordings of this piece. From my own library I can find the following recordings;
Maurice Andre
Wynton
John Wallace
Crispian Steele-Perkins - twice.

I think I have a couple more, but couldn't see them immediately.

My favourite of these is Crispian playing with Jeni Burn singing. The combination of him playing an English slide trumpet and her voice is just heaven! You get a much better feeling of the interaction between the voice and the trumpet than when people are playing it on a piccolo (which often can't get the first note). The timbres are just fantastic.
The CD is called Let the Bright Seraphim, published by Carlton Classics - well worth getting hold of, some truly classy playing.
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fabulous suggestions on the recordings. I'll be sure to go out and purchase a few. Ya know you just never realise how bad you sound until you hear yourself on recording. 2am or not I'll be hitting the woodshed hard for this one.

Jon
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great piece to play. I have done it a number of times in the past couple of years (with another two already booked in for next year!) and it is always good fun, especially if the soprano has a sense of humour.
The last time I played it was for a good friend, who was playing the piano. His wife was singing (professional opera singer, ex Swingle singer - awesome voice!) and we just got into an ornamentation competition!
The first run-though ended because we were both helpless with laughter!!

By the time we got to the performance we had decided upon doing some more tasteful ornaments, but we couldn't look at each other when we did them - we knew what might come out!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: