• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question for Buglers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given a new Getzen field trumpet with a Bb slide for Christmas. Is there any particular reason to have the G slide as well?

I've read that Bb has become the preferred key for Taps at Arlington National Cemetery. I've also read that G remains the "official" key for USMC funerals.

Any advice?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
tapsbugler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I was given a new Getzen field trumpet with a Bb slide for Christmas. Is there any particular reason to have the G slide as well? I've read that Bb has become the preferred key for Taps at Arlington National Cemetery. I've also read that G remains the "official" key for USMC funerals.<

Jim

Short answer-no, unless you perform with other G bugles.

The Getzen American Heritage Field Trumpet was designed after the Bach Strad Bugles used by the US Army at Arlington. After Getzen made the prototypes, they were informed that a G slide or crook would be needed to allow players who could not sound calls in B flat (concert) the ability to play calls in a lower key. This crook was a compromise to having the GAHFT completely made in G. Although that would have been a quality bugle it would have been just another "regulation" bugle. The fact that it plays in B flat and is made to high standards sets it apart from other bugles and makes it more appealing to trumpet players who are use to sounding calls on a B Flat trumpet or cornet.

There is no "official" key for Taps. The key depends on what instrument you sound the call. A "Regulation" G Field trumpet-G, A M1855 British Duty Bugle- B Flat, A CW officer's bugle-C. Buglers at Arlington sound the call in B Flat because they play on their B Flat trumpets or cornets. Logistically they do this because the same musician must play in the band then step out of formation to sound Taps. US Army buglers use the B Flat bugle at ceremonies at the Tomb and at Standard Honors funerals where there is no band. I hope this tradition would be carried on by the Air Force and Navy. The Marines send members from the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps to sound Taps at Standard Honors funerals at ANC. They use their G Bugles which they are accustomed to performing on. Since I have not heard them lately they may be using B Flats since DCI, I believe, has made the big move from G to B Flat.

Anyway, Use your new Getzen in good Health! I think you will agree it is quite a good horn!

Jari Villanueva

[ This Message was edited by: tapsbugler on 2003-12-30 19:39 ]
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like great horns, and I've been thinking about purchasing one. I can't find out how much they run for though...

Louie
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were buying a bugle I'd seriously look into the offerings at Selmer- Paris:

http://www.selmer.fr/html/english/cuivre/cuis/cui26/cui26.htm
http://www.selmer.fr/html/english/cuivre/cuis/cui25/cui25.htm
http://www.selmer.fr/html/english/cuivre/cuis/cui21/cui21.htm

They offer a range of great looking bugles.

Dave
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-12-30 23:58, loudog wrote:
These look like great horns, and I've been thinking about purchasing one. I can't find out how much they run for though...

Louie

Exactly! Does anyone have a street price on these Getzen bugles????

Dave M
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help. http://fieldtrumpet.com/OrderInfo.html

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jari,

Thanks for the extremely informative reply!

Interestingly, I was experimenting with various ways of holding my new Getzen and discovered that, even though I'm right handed, I'm a lot more adept with my left hand. Guess that's from all these years of holding a trumpet with my left and keying with my right.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
tapsbugler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>If I were buying a bugle I'd seriously look into the offerings at Selmer- Paris:
http://www.selmer.fr/html/english/cuivre/cuis/cui26/cui26.htm
http://www.selmer.fr/html/english/cuivre/cuis/cui25/cui25.htm
http://www.selmer.fr/html/english/cuivre/cuis/cui21/cui21.htm
They offer a range of great looking bugles<<

Dave

These are great horns in the French Clairon style. I did look into purchasing one. They are expensive-more than the Getzen and the model 520 and 530 is no longer available I was told by Semer. If you know of how I could get one, I'd appreciate the information

This is the info I got from France-
Models 520 & 530 do not exist anymore. The only Selmer bugle available on the catalog is the Pro line model.
Prices:
Unlacquered: 382
Gold lacquered: 397
Mat finished: 404
Silver plated: 453
Price include mouthpiece & cover.
Price is 100 for insured postage by Fedex ( usually takes 2 days )

The Getzen is more in the American style of field trumpets and at a less expensive price. The clairons are very nice (I love the big mellow sound!) and are more of the type used in the Civil War period although there are instances of it's use in the US Army following WWI.

Best Regards

Jari Villanueva
jvmusic@erols.com
Coltssop01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>The Marines send members from the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps to sound Taps at Standard Honors funerals at ANC. They use their G Bugles which they are accustomed to performing on. Since I have not heard them lately they may be using B Flats since DCI, I believe, has made the big move from G to B Flat.

The last time I saw the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps they were still using their two-valve bugles. I saw them about a year ago in Texas at the State Fair (I think, I was visiting a friend and was dragged there). I didn't ever see them in August at DCI.
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind the figures given at the site OCTA-C suggested are special
prices for BAA members. A couple of months ago, I got some quotes from
Marshall Music in Lincoln Park, MI and was given the following:

M2003 - $428.00
M2003-S - $485.00
M2003E - $520.00
M2003E-S - $558.00

These should be comparable to any other Getzen dealer. Seems like a pretty good reason to register with BAA.

Paul

[ This Message was edited by: trombapaul2 on 2004-01-03 14:01 ]
a-okay
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the Bach Strad Bugles - I have a rather rare one for sale on Ebay right now - if you'd like to take a look:

item #236954237

Happy New Year

[ This Message was edited by: a-okay on 2004-01-03 15:27 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapsbugler, I'll ask my connection at Conn-Selmer about the possibility of getting any of those older Selmer Paris bugles in the US. I'll send you a PM when I find out anything.

Dave
TPTXC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Marines send members from the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps to sound Taps at Standard Honors funerals at ANC. They use their G Bugles which they are accustomed to performing on. Since I have not heard them lately they may be using B Flats since DCI, I believe, has made the big move from G to B Flat."

I saw the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps this summer. It looked like they were playing standard Dynasty or Kanstul Soprano Bugles in G like all the Senior DCA Corps still use.
Curry 1 1/2BC
Curry 50m or 3c
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually play Taps in A based upon a recommendation by Tom Turner. Bb sounds a bit thin and A is mellower. Since neither the Corps nor the Army shows up for the funeral I figure that I am in charge of the key. Does anyone know if the ceremonial bugle is in Bb with and without the chip? Our post has one on order for months but so far no bugle.
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is interested, I played one of the new Getzen Bugles yesterday (owned by Jim Hatfield). What a great little horn (this one was in silver plate).

Light, responsive, played very open, high quality...very good impressions. Holding it right-handed worked best for me.

All the best.
Dano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
Glad to see some none Bugles Across America test results posted here!!
I have to admit, last May when I called the Getzen Company about the possibility of them creating a special instrument for honoring our Veterans, I really didn't think I would get much of a responce. Never imagined being so wrong!! Today Getzen American Heritage
Field Trumpets have gone out to buglers all over the country including Alaska and Hawaii!
A bugler in Saltford England by the name of Pete Latham is proud to be the first Brit to have purchased one! I have a table posted at http://www.fieldtrumpet.com showing some of the location they've gone to. Also have a feedback section there as well!
The Getzen site talks about several BAA members being part of the creation of the horn.
http://www.getzen.com

Those members would be;Tom Day BAA Founder, Ron Glazer, Jari Villanueva, Mark Elrod and myself. Also included would be all those who tested the horns and gave feed back before production began!

Taps can be sounded on any upper brass instrument. Through out history the key for the valveless instrument has varied. The invention of the valved instruments has just about altered this time honored tradition created during the Civil War. The poor quality valveless instruments we find on Ebay have also aided in the demise of the bugle!

Only one attempt at a high quality American made bugle has been made in the past. Back in the 1950's the United States Army Band requested 20-24 Bb Signal Trumpets from the Bach Company.
These were only availible to army buglers and are still used today around Arlington National Cemetery. None were made availible to the general public. The most famous use of this horn would be the JFK funeral! In recent years attempts to get Selmer to recreate these horns for public consumption have failed.

The Getzen American Heritage Field Trumpet has been created to fill this void!
It has been crafted by Getzen in a simular style as the Bach horn.

I don't think the army will retire their Bach horns, the horns themselves have as much tradition as Taps itself. Those of us who don't have access to the Bach and have started using the new AHFT have complete confidence that we have the absolute best possible piece of American made equipment in todays market place!

When you raise up an AHFT it's more than a horn. It's a symbol of a proud American tradition in honoring those who have served their country.

Dan Erikson
Wisconsin State Director
Bugles Across America http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org
Every Veteran should have a live bugler sounding Taps on their day of final honor!

[ This Message was edited by: Dano on 2004-01-11 13:49 ]
Horn of Praise
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

I appreciate your response. Like I said before...a great little horn...with a clear, brilliant sound. It is well made and well conceived.

All the best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: