• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Triple: TKT to TTK ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Memran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the beginning I was taught to triple with TKT and have been doing so for as long as I can remember, however with little success.
I find that on longer passages of triplet 16ths, it sounds almost as two straight 32nds and a 16th.
Someone suggested trying TTK (as I found out later is the method in Arban and many others.), however I am finding it extremely difficult to do - stuck in the old habit I guess...
Is this change actually worth doing of should I continue to work on TKT until I get it clean?
Thanks
Ralph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTK is the classic teaching and the method described in Arbans. That's how I learned it. I tried TKT and just couldn't get it to sound like triplets.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to work on the K, then build up the TTK, but primarily the K. This (in my opinion and experience) tends to be the problem with the multiple tongue. When the K is working well both TTK and TKT should be working well.

If you can alternate between TTK or TKT you are well prepared for anything which might come yor way.

If you can put either T or K in any order you can cope with any piece that comes up, wherever the accent may be in the piece.

Do a search on TH and you will find loads of suggestions as to how to improve multiple tongue techniques.
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My triple practice includes doing speed drills with just the t and then the k. Try doing 8 triplets with t then 8 with k. Start on g and alternate moving up and down a half step. Start this exercise slow and work your way up.

After doing this, go to the Arbans and work on the triplet exercises. Start slow and build over time. It will be difficult to change but well worth the effort.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question seems to come up frequently. In my experience, the traditional approach espoused by Arban and others of tu-tu-ku (TTK) is the preferred and best method to use. As a small point, I might mention that it's important NOT to pronounce the syllable too far back in the mouth or throat.
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have to consider that you continue this format. TKT or TTK. And if we put it in a longer string, we will see that it is almost the same. We see the TKT version inside the TTK version and vice versa.

TKT TKT TKT TKT TKT TKT TKT
TT KT TKT TKT TKT TKT TK

So you can see it's more of a mental factor because your tongue will be doing the same thing, it's how your brain interprets the tonguing. Therefore, it is basically the same physically and the only difference is how well each version works for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice both.
bigbrowncow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're just going to have to start slow - possibly slower than your current single tonguing, and build up the speed. It does come with time.

You can also practice this away from the instrument, although you might get some funny looks walking down the street whispering TuTuKuTuTuKuTuTuKu...

Steve
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that for some people, multiple tonguing seems to catch on better if you start at whatever speed is comfortable -- fast, slow, or in between -- and work outwards from there. It allows you to get the pattern moving without over-analyzing it. Once you can get TTK or TKT going consistently at a comfortable speed, work faster and slower as necessary from that point.

I think it goes without saying that the metronome is your friend...
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memran, Welcome to TH.

I agree with NE as far as practicing both. It is also something you can practice away from the horn as has been stated.

When I was going through a change in tonguing position I did a lot of practice when I was driving. (without the horn)

Best of luck,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Ralph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NE,

When would you use TKT over TTK when playing triplets? Maybe when playing only one triplet figure rather than in a succession of many triplets?

Over the past (almost) year, Ive always found your comments to be right on the money.
Memran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies

I do believe its coming now! I can TTK 8th triplets at about 120, as long as the run is not too long. After a longer run I slip back into TKT - quite frustrating, but at least progress is being made I don't think I am going fast enough yet for any rhythmic inconsistencies to show up, but it somehow feels as though it would be easier to go faster even though at this stage I can't (if you understand that).

I agree I will need to work on my K more. Playing slowly (since I can't go fast yet) shows that my K is much weaker than I thought it was. Starting the notes with K alone makes me sound like I have picked up my trumpet for the first time ever, yet the K in TKT or indeed TTK sounds almost convincing.

Still, as long as progress is being made I'm happy!
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with NE,

Practice both. I believe you need to master both to be successful at Scherezade.

I like "TKT" for the middle section of Honneger Intrada.

I wonder what "ta, ta, ka" thinks? Does "ta, ta, ka" ......"ta, ka, ta?"

romey
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph --

There are three kinds of situations when I use TKT instead of TTK. First, for me (probably because I started with TTK) TKT is a little slower. So I use TKT in situations that are prone to rush, or are not quite fast enough to triple tongue TTK, or benefit from a little more definition, particularly on the last note of the triplet. Second, there are situations where there is a pickup to the triplet -- the most obvious example of this is in Scheherazade. Rather than tongue it K/TTK/T K/TTK/T etc., which means starting with a K syllable, it's easier for me to use T/TKT/T T/TKT/T. (T/TTK/T T/TTK/T isn't an acceptable solution for me because it would mean putting three Ts in a row.) I hope that's clear -- if you know the lick I mean, you'll understand what I'm talking about. The final situation is similar to what romey mentions in the Honegger. I've gone back and forth on that particular piece, but it general I tend to feel more secure making leaps after a T articulation. So if I had to play something like CCC/G----- I might be inclined to use TKT/TAAAA.

One could probably argue that the best thing to do would be to practice K articulations to the point where they're as secure as T articulations. I suppose that would be possible, but I'm not sure it would be the best use of my time. Maybe if I did that I wouldn't have to play Nutcracker any more...

(Actually, that reminds me of a third possibility, which I use in the Chocolate solo in Nutcracker: TKT KTK. I use that very occasionally when I want a very even sound with no emphasis on the start of each triplet -- tktktk vs. TtkTtk or TktTkt. You can never have too many choices!)

By the way, although I've used Ts and Ks, I actually tend to think Ds and Gs most of the time. I find it helps me to focus on the sound rather than the tongue, which for me is the key. A lot of times when people have trouble with multiple tonguing it is because they are going Tuh... Tuh... Kuh... rather than dAAAdAAAgAAA.

[ This Message was edited by: Nonsense Eliminator on 2003-12-31 14:23 ]
Ralph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the piece although I've never played it. Your explaination (along with Romey's) makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: