• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mute Bag

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm finally getting a lot of high-quality mutes, but a problem with storage has presented itself. I was originally using the second trumpet slot in my Conn case to keep my cup, straight and plunger, but I had to carry my harmon. In addition to this, the sides of the second trumpet slot were becoming distorted because they didn't quite fit properly and with my recent purchases, storage is becoming more and more ridiculous. So, the time has come for me to purchase a mute bag or anything that will help me out in this respect. I've seen a variety of styles, and the pro-tec seems to appeal to me the most, however from the picture it looks as if it lacks the needed space to hold a straight, cup, harmon, bucket and plunger mute. If someone could correct me about this or recommend something else it would help greatly - I'll need to make a purchase fairly soon!

Thanks
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH, Derek!

I have about a dozen mutes and have experimented with a variety of bags. I used the Pro-Tec mute bag for a while, but it was really too small.

What works best for me is a black backpack which holds 'em all plus my trumpet stands. I protect the mutes by keeping them in cloth shoe bags. (One is in a Crown Royal bag!)

I got the backpack at SportMart, I believe.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
4Him
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a ProTech trombone mute bag. It is bigger than the one they market for trumpet mutes. I love it. It has plenty of room for mutes, gig stands, water bottles, etc. It measures about 15"x8"x10". It has been an ideal solution for me.

Ken
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific mute bags - waste of time - a bag for suckers.
The people who want their mute bags to be specific mute bags are the same who will produce a Bach pencil.

Nobody I know uses a proper mute bag - we all have too many!

Somewhere on TH is a thread about the number of mutes that one carries with them. If you read that and then take a look at the average mute bag you will see that there is no chance in Hell that they will all fit in one of the mute bags you can buy.

When I purchased my Wiseman case it came with a matching mute bag. Fantastic - it could fit a straight, a cup and a harmon, with a possible plunger. I carry more than that by quite a bit! I now use it for keeping my piccolo and Eb mutes in. It then goes with my "mute bag" which is a small canvas bag that fits everything I need to carry with me within it.

My advice - find a decent sized bag, that is durable, that will fit all your kit in, that you can sling over your shoulder. Put all your mutes in it. Call it a mute bag. Save yourself a fortune when compared to the specific "mute bags" sold by music shops.
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Military Small Canvas Tool Bag. Big enough to fit all mutes and various other supplies (oil, rods, parts, etc) BUT, small enough to strap on your case.! Last forever!

Oh yea ... cover your mutes with something like Crown Royal bags to protect them inside the tool bag ..

http://www.armysurplusforless.com/productInfo.cfm?prodID=3112
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once did a gig with a guy who used a duffle bag. He carried all of his mutes, portable stand, extension cord, stand light, horn stand, and no telling what else. Needless to say, he was prepared for anything that came up.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMike, why don't you tells us how you really feel?

[ This Message was edited by: ConnMan on 2003-12-31 13:41 ]
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my mutes in my "gig" bag with mpc holders, stands, etc. I use the Altman (I think) I picked up at Chase Sanborn's site: http://www.chasesanborn.com They are very heavy polartec material, with a drawstring, and can replace your Crown Royal bags if you're on the wagon (or, want people to think you are ).

FWIWFM - Don
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnMan - with you name you sum up these specific mute bags - they are a con, man - oh such wit!!!

They give you a very similar looking bag to those you can buy for only a few pounds, slap the brand name on it and charge a fortune.
PJB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, use the Pro-Tec trombone mute bag (model M-401, $19.99 at Giardinelli). Like '4him', I also thought Pro-Tec's so-called "trumpet" bag was way too small. Further, I thought the price of $19.99 was reasonable and the bag has plenty of room for mutes, stands, tuners, and other paraphernalia. In other words, it meets the criteria 'trumpetmike' outlined in his post, including the shoulder strap. I doubt I could have saved a whole lot by buying a similar sized gym bag at Target or wherever. Anyway, I was already placing an order to Giardinelli so I went ahead and added the mute bag.

1974 Benge 3X Bb
1950 Olds Super
2002 Yamaha Xeno 8445GS C
2004 Kanstul ZKF 1525 Flugel
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who have no idea what a 'Crown Royal' bag is (I'm not the only one am I?!) how do you protect the mutes inside the bag? I now have too many mutes to fit in my case, so thanks for the advice re: specific mute bags. I don't want to dent my brand new cup mute, or any of my others for that matter.
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Crown Royal "bag" is the felt bag that comes with a bottle of Crown Royal liqueur.

Someone else (Don Herman?) mentioned the Altman individual felt mute bags that Chase Sanborn offers on his website. Each Altman bag is like a minature Crown Royal bag with a drawstring, and like the Crown Royal an Altman bag can double as a felt "mute".

If one were looking for premium protection for your metal mutes, then my guess is that one would have to buy a padded mute bag and an Altman bag for each metal mute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: