• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shuebruk and/or Schlossberg

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nirdop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Shuebruk and/or Schlossberg Reply with quote

What are the main differences between these 2 studies, which do you perfer and why, and where can I find them to buy? (That sounds like an essay question or something )
terpfan0512
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shuebruk Lip Trainers and The Shuebruk Tongue Trainers and the Schlossberg Daily Drills are available through Hickeys Music. Go towww.hickeys.com
E_Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Shuebruk Lip Trainers about every day for the past 6 months or so. Following Shuebruk's pedagogy has added a couple more notes to my usable high range and has generally whipped me into better shape (I think). I started doing them in the middle of a really bad chop relapse, and I think they've helped me build back into a more well-rounded way of playing.

From what I've seen of the two, Shuebruk's book is more organized to my liking. Very good for self-guided practice. Very concise book.

What Shuebruk lacks is being a complete method book. There aren't really any etudes or other technical sections as would be found in Schlossberg. So, it would need pairing with an etude/technical book of some sort.

Also, Shuebruk's book can be found through Pops Mclaughlin's website for free: https://bbtrumpet.com/blogs/Uncategorized/the-pops-mclaughlin-trumpet-foundation-page

UMI Silver Flair | Fullerton Olds Studio
King Legend 2070
1921 Conn 80A
Trumpeter, Pianist, Drummer
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of Shuebruk, I'm assuming you are referring to his Lip Trainers and Tongue Trainers as those are the books most often associated with Shuebruk these days, but he wrote other books, including "Daily Technical Exercises," which are quite good).

The Lip Trainers and Tongue Trainers were originally publishes as booklets, with "Graded" clearly in the title. That's important, as it is one of the things that distinguishes those books from Schlossberg's "Daily Drills and Technical Studies": They are progressive in nature, whereas Schlossberg is a loose thematic collection of exercises.

In the case of Shuebruk, you get advice regarding how to practice the exercises. That can be quite useful for students, but sometimes the reminders are useful to reflect on regardless of how advanced you are.

I'm biased toward Schossberg -- and Chris Gekker's "Slow Practice," which offers some nice variations on a few of the classic Schlossberg exercises -- as I have been playing from it since fourth grade, but I have come to appreciate Schuebruk as an adult. For instance, I think that "Attack" study #2 on page 20, and those on pages 30-31 of Lip Trainers are among the most useful studies I have come across.

You really can't go wrong either way so long as you practice the material intelligently, purposefully and diligently.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franquin, Bodet and Sheubruk (and others) devoted some of their exercise stuff to the initial attack (“emission” in the French methods). Wynton, Håkan, Charlie Porter and Peter Bond (and others) also talk about this in various clips you can find on YouTube.

I wouldn’t think of Sheubruk and Schlossberg as different worlds or different schools. If the very beginning of the first note of any Schlossberg exercise is less than free and resonant then you’re going spend more effort than necessary trying to find freedom and resonance on everything after the initial attack. Better to stop fighting your way through phrases and give yourself a lovely, free beginning to work from.

Then the issue becomes repeatability. Can you start a note with the same freedom and resonance every time?

But wait, there’s more! Thibaud remarked there are a thousand ways to start a note on violin. There are a thousand ways humans can begin a sentence. How many subtly different ways can you start a note? Can you repeat those different articulations at will? Sheubruk outlines a few of the thousand ways and gives you an outline for how to practice them.

Then the issue becomes how to end a note.

Have fun developing your language.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: