• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wondering why we’re having the problems of today?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Wondering why we’re having the problems of today? Reply with quote

Here’s a good reason. Just received this from the parent of a lesson student, beginner (edited to insure further anonymity):

This is what the student’s parent wrote:
“Well it seems he’s not too keen on the idea anymore. He likes the class and has fun, but he doesn’t seem to like to practice or carry the trumpet around. I’m going to continue encouraging him. Maybe he’ll want to do twice a month. He’s a bit of a quitter when it comes to stuff he’s not enjoying. He wants to do athletics next year and enjoys learning in class. I appreciate your time and I’ll let you know if he changes his mind.”

This is how I feel about it, I did not share this with the parent:
I KNOW parenting is not easy, especially with today’s challenges. But exactly when did we decide that the KID is in charge and capable of making their decisions? I thought that was the parent’s job.
(BTW, this is not the first time I’ve heard this sort of thing from a parent).

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you're treading in dangerous water.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Wind Machine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about it personally. As long as you are sharing love and understanding with your students, you are doing the right thing. Quitting is easy, sticking with it can be a challenge sometimes. I wouldn't have it any other way personally. I tend to want to face my problems head on now, vs running away from them. This mentality requires self-discipline and other things that a young student might not have a great concept of yet. We can't force anyone to love music or practice, we can only share our own love for playing with them and hope some of it rubs off.

Conn 8B
Monette B6/B6L
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Ok, how so? I seriously doubt that this person knows what TH is, of course I’m using no names and I of course did not share my opinion on this with the parent, I just said something along the lines of “ok, thank you for letting me know.”
But that doesn’t change my opinion.

I believe that kids are simply not experienced enough to be making these decisions for themselves, that’s a parent’s responsibility. Kids are kids, they’ll take the path of least resistance if allowed to, I don’t think that’s any different than it was fifty or even 100 years ago. What’s different is more parents allowing this than years ago. I had a parent tell me she “begs” her child (6th grade) to practice. I don’t know about anyone else, but my parents never “begged” me to do anything, they TOLD me.

So am I just being the crabby old “you kids get off my lawn!” man here?

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind Machine wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about it personally. As long as you are sharing love and understanding with your students, you are doing the right thing. Quitting is easy, sticking with it can be a challenge sometimes. I wouldn't have it any other way personally. I tend to want to face my problems head on now, vs running away from them. This mentality requires self-discipline and other things that a young student might not have a great concept of yet. We can't force anyone to love music or practice, we can only share our own love for playing with them and hope some of it rubs off.

I agree, and to be sure, I’m not taking it personally. Certainly not the first or last time I’ve had a student quit lessons, I’m just surprised at how much decision making authority some kids are being given. I think it’s doing them a HUGE disservice.
The other factor here is that we are having to conduct lessons virtually. It’s absolutely better than no lessons, but it’s also not as effective as in person, and I think some kids are wanting to quit partially because of it....even though they don’t know WHY they are disliking their lessons.

Brad
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last school I taught in had instrumental instruction grades3-5. In my last year I had a kid sign up for clarinet in third grade and quit midway through the first group class. Truth is he was know it all pain in the ass and he got everything he wanted from his parents. I was kind of relieved that I didn't have to deal with him the whole year.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, I thought your response was what you sent to the parents, not your just thinking aloud.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Brad, I thought your response was what you sent to the parents, not your just thinking aloud.

Holy cow, no! 😱

Guess I should have been more precise in writing the post, the only response I could muster was “thank you for letting me know.” As much as I believe what I said, I would never be that blunt with a parent!

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Then you understand my response.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Wind Machine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I don’t know about anyone else, but my parents never “begged” me to do anything, they TOLD me.

Brad

I don't think you are being a crabby old man. I understand the frustration certainly, much of what young people experience today is instant gratification, learning an instrument doesn't provide this same feeling. Unless a true understanding and love for music is fostered within them (what I consider education), why wouldn't someone stop when no one is standing over them telling them "you must practice". "Because I said so" were words often uttered in my childhood, but without an understanding of the meaning why I would find out on my own because that's not an actual explanation.

Conn 8B
Monette B6/B6L
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, there is a line somewhere between "because I told you so" and "whatever you want sweetie".

As a parent at some point recognizing when to not push is important. It is possible there were other things in the child's life or home that the parents felt were more important to draw the line on.

I doubt that you are the issue and hope you don't feel it is.

That said, it would be interesting to see if his dabbling in sports gets any more focus that music. I suspect not.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody enjoys anything they're not good at; but until a child gets good at it, it's the parent's job to provide the necessary carrots and sticks if the child's self-discipline fails.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
IMO, there is a line somewhere between "because I told you so" and "whatever you want sweetie".

As a parent at some point recognizing when to not push is important. It is possible there were other things in the child's life or home that the parents felt were more important to draw the line on.

I doubt that you are the issue and hope you don't feel it is.

That said, it would be interesting to see if his dabbling in sports gets any more focus that music. I suspect not.

I also suspect not.

I absolutely agree though; I had a father who was the “because I SAID so” type, it’s easy for a kid to begin to resent that and be even less motivated to do whatever is in question. Of course the world is very different today (I’m 66), it just seems like we have substituted what kids want at any given moment for what they really need in order to become happy productive adults.

I learned a long time ago to not take it personally when a student loses interest, but to also remember to look at my approach, and if I might have done something differently that would have helped.

I just kind of shake my head at the “whatever you want sweetie” parenting, I think it does kids a major disservice.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect we would have had a lot fewer pianists in previous generations without “because I said so”. I certainly wouldn’t have practiced without pushing by my parents.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pressure the little darlings.
God, my dad would just go crazy reading this.
I was in a music school doing 3 hours of Arban 5 days a week.........
Thats why I made 1st chair as a sophomore .......
And, I loved it once I did the work.......

Sad.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through these situations with private students and it's always frustrating. I'm not a parent, but I always thought that if I had a child who expressed an interest in playing music that I'd lay down a few ground rules and they would be simple:

If I'm going to provide lessons, and instrument, and time to shuttle to lessons and such, then he/she WILL practice regularly, WILL attend lessons and in short, participate to the fullest -- for at least <some reasonable period of time>. After that, if it's just not working out, then fair enough, a good effort was made and it's just not the kid's thing. I was always amazed at parents who set the kid up with instruments, paid for lessons, etc. then the kid doesn't practice, complains about everything, then decides to quit and the parent just says "whatever"......

keith
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
I've been through these situations with private students and it's always frustrating. I'm not a parent, but I always thought that if I had a child who expressed an interest in playing music that I'd lay down a few ground rules and they would be simple:

If I'm going to provide lessons, and instrument, and time to shuttle to lessons and such, then he/she WILL practice regularly, WILL attend lessons and in short, participate to the fullest -- for at least <some reasonable period of time>. After that, if it's just not working out, then fair enough, a good effort was made and it's just not the kid's thing. I was always amazed at parents who set the kid up with instruments, paid for lessons, etc. then the kid doesn't practice, complains about everything, then decides to quit and the parent just says "whatever"......

keith

And I honestly believe this has a lot to do with some of the problems we’re facing today. It’s not whether a kid plays a trumpet or throws a football, it’s about life lessons that many kids are not being taught. We give kids a trophy for nothing besides showing up (which takes away the feelings of accomplishment that the kids who try and excel should feel), shelter them from all discomforts, give them almost anything they ask for and don’t teach them that they need to work for those things and let them believe that they are the center of the universe.
Then we wonder why our society is near implosion.

Brad
Wind Machine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At it's core, I feel that the "issue" isn't very difficult to really lay out. In order to be successful on this instrument (and in life) we must learn to view a problem as an opportunity to improve. People quit playing because their own negative thinking tells them "I can't", be very careful what you put into the creative mind of a young person, they will believe it without question and negative reinforcement can take years to undo. The older we become, the more struggles we have encountered, if we can learn to face them and improve each time, we will experience true growth in every way.

Conn 8B
Monette B6/B6L
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

To paraphrase George Carlin: You know how bad the average parent is today. Now keep in mind that half of them are worse than that.

Another crabby old man,
Gary.
Wind Machine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thought on this idea. We can't really break a bad habit, we can only create a new better one. You don't need to break a person down to build them back up. Music isn't a competition (no one would win anyway), but it's still healthy to be competitive! Maximize the positive, minimize the negative. Positive reinforcement boosts the student's self-image and worth. Always mention what they did well first, followed by a "you can do this better". If you only focus on the negative aspects, don't be surprised when their spirit is broken and they quit before they even really get started.

Conn 8B
Monette B6/B6L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: