• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 190-37 50'th vs Bach 190s43w2 centennial vs LR190-43B

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxmmm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Bach 190-37 50'th vs Bach 190s43w2 centennial vs LR190-43B Reply with quote

Hello everyone,this is my first post on trumpetherald and I hope to get some feedback from you that can help me make a decision,not make me do it:)..I know that playtesting is the best way to choose a trumpet and I'm planning on doing that but the first place where I can try the horns I'm interested in is hundreds of miles and 3 countries away:)...I'm from eastern Europe,so excuse my english and mistakes and I hope you can understand me...so,I'm looking for advices from people that played these trumpets and can give an advised opinion..
I'm not a pro player but I played trumpet for 20 years and I'm very passionate about it,I practice everyday and I want to improve my playing everyday.. about 10 years ago ,after a two year research (mainly online because I didn't get the chance to try horns) ,I decided to get a Bach 37,but my teacher at that time discouraged me and talked me into buying an intermediate horn from another brand..(maybe that was my level at that time,but I think he also had some personal interest as I bought it from him:) ..) so,after some intermediate horns I got my first pro horn,a brand new Yamaha 8335S after testing all Yamaha models at a show and it was great for a while but for as long as I can tell I loved the Bach sound,so I bought a large bore Bach Commercial(without testing,because as I said ,I don't have a shop close to where I live,also every mouthpiece that I got I had to buy without testing ,which led me to an expensive mouthpiece safari),but it required too much air for me and it kind of lacked that Bach sound imho (maybe because it is lightweight..I also got some heavy valve caps set,but it didn't make a big difference)).. after the Bach ,I got to play a Selmer Chorus 80J which blew me away,I bought it instantly and sold the Bach...I even got a second 80J,so now I have two,a gold lacquer and a brushed lacquer ( both for sale ) . The sound is great on this horn ,the best I ever had ,but it still requires a lot of air and it doesn't seem to play so easy in the upper register .. I played on some friends Bach LR180-43G and ML180-43 ,and I liked them,more easy blowing than mine and better upper register , so I want to purchase a Bach from the 190 line...I did some research and I've read some good opinions on the Bach 190-37 50'th anniversary, 190s43w2 centennial and LR190-43B..I play mainly solo,church music,big band,maybe some lead in the future,so I'm looking for a free blowing trumpet,good upper register but also very accurate/secure as the Selmer's ...I'm afraid in that case of getting a LR leadpipe as I played on the two Bach's that I mentioned and the regular one seemed more secure and curious,it played better in the upper register for me...maybe it was just me or those particular horns,Idk...I'm also afraid of the 37 being too restrictive,stuffy,so does that leave me with the 43Centennial as the best choice?what are your opinions? thanks in advance
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're buying the horn new, I don't think there's any risk of it being "stuffy" or "restrictive". Those words are usually attached to older horns that haven't been well cared for. Leaky valves and an abnormal mouthpiece gap are probably the root of the problem 9 out of 10 times.

Personally, I would go for the 190 43 with regular tuning slide. Standard configuration is more faithful to what Vincent Bach had in mind for his instruments, and the 43 was his preferred bell mandrel.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with the 190 series, so whatever you do end up choosing, enjoy it!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played the LR19043 so cannot comment on it. The 19037 and 19043 are, for me, two of the best horns on the market. Between the two of them, I slightly prefer the 19043, as I find the sound to be a bit brighter and the blow to be a bit more open than the 19037. But that is just a matter of personal preference. Good luck!
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I haven't played the LR19043 so cannot comment on it. The 19037 and 19043 are, for me, two of the best horns on the market. Between the two of them, I slightly prefer the 19043, as I find the sound to be a bit brighter and the blow to be a bit more open than the 19037. But that is just a matter of personal preference. Good luck!

Agreed.

I prefer the 37, more veratile for me. Outside of personal preference, I would frown a bit on the reverse leadpipe design - something about that setup that I ultimately don't prefer and move away from.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 190 37 and it was a great horn, but these days (until March and COVID) I'm a commercial player. If you were doing orchestral I'd say definitely the 37, From your note, I gather that your playing is diverse, leaning to the commercial/jazz side. The 43 would be a great choice for you, especially since you played it and liked it. The 43 is favored by Hollywood studio players who cross over according to the demands of the session. Gary Grant plays one and here's Warren Leuning (RIP) on his 43 showing his legit chops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeRttksjGho

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:
If you're buying the horn new, I don't think there's any risk of it being "stuffy" or "restrictive". Those words are usually attached to older horns that haven't been well cared for. Leaky valves and an abnormal mouthpiece gap are probably the root of the problem 9 out of 10 times.

You've clearly never had to play test 30 Bachs to find the good one before

But seriously, while new horns SHOULDN'T have these issues, sometimes they do. You need to play test before you buy. Always. I don't care what brand it is. Bach has a rep for QC issues for a reason.. Good ones are great. all the rest are not.
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_cop wrote:
Goby wrote:

You've clearly never had to play test 30 Bachs to find the good one before

But seriously, while new horns SHOULDN'T have these issues, sometimes they do. You need to play test before you buy. Always. I don't care what brand it is. Bach has a rep for QC issues for a reason.. Good ones are great. all the rest are not.

1. The 190's are quite consistent. 2. Get yours from Osmun and have it Blueprinted. It will be as good as it can be. OR get it anywhere and have it Blueprinted by Jim Becker at Osmun.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_cop wrote:
... You need to play test before you buy. Always. I don't care what brand it is. Bach has a rep for QC issues for a reason.. Good ones are great. all the rest are not.

------------------------------
I wonder how many horns get by-passed during 'play testing' simply because of poor valve alignment.

Yes, a new horn should have the valves aligned properly for 'good' playing and sound. But I suspect that the QC testing of many finished horns doesn't verify that the alignment is 'good' or 'excellent' - only that it is 'ok' or 'no obvious problems'. Doing a good valve alignment is time consuming work, and needs to be done by a skilled worker who can play / listen / adjust / repeat until satisfied.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Jay2015trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're all wonderful. I've tried the anniversary 37 and mariachi models and they can rival anything else on the market.
maxmmm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,thank you for your feedback...let me throw in another option if it wasn,t enough.. I'm not very familiar with the model but I just came across it surfing some reviews and it got my attention...Bach New York 7 ..LT180-S77..

I had the Bach Commercial large bore and this one seems similar ,have any of you compared them?are you familiar with the model? I'm a bit afraid of the large bore because my Commercial required a lot of air but some say the NY7 doesn't... and how would you compare it to the 190's I allready mentioned? Thanks
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My playing time on the LT18077 is very limited. I recall it being brighter than the 19037 with a more open blow. That sound like my description of the 19043, but it wasn't like that. It felt "bigger" than the 19043 but the sound was more focused. Sorry I can't be more precise. I really liked the 19038 and 19043, but didn't like the LT18077 as much -- just a matter of personal preference.

Good luck!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxmmm wrote:
Guys,thank you for your feedback...let me throw in another option if it wasn,t enough.. I'm not very familiar with the model but I just came across it surfing some reviews and it got my attention...Bach New York 7 ..LT180-S77..

I had the Bach Commercial large bore and this one seems similar ,have any of you compared them? Are you familiar with the model? I'm a bit afraid of the large bore because my Commercial required a lot of air but some say the NY7 doesn't... and how would you compare it to the 190's I already mentioned? Thanks

Another possibility is the 180-25L Find one in good shape and have it blueprinted. I think it Maurice Murphy who did al the Bond films, he played one. (I always get him and Derek Watkins confused) I know a few symphony players using one (on the rare occasion of using a Bb. When I was in Chicago in the '70's it was popular with the studio/show players. Bobby Lewis and John Howell come to mind. Jazzer Dave Douglas is also an aficionado. IT is a tighter bell matched to a large bore chassis, rather like the Schilke B3 (Herseth's Bb) in that respect.

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Morogan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Another possibility is the 180-25L Find one in good shape and have it blueprinted. I think it Maurice Murphy who did al the Bond films, he played one. (I always get him and Derek Watkins confused) I know a few symphiny players using one (on the rare occasion of using a Bb. When I was in Chicago in the '70's it was popular with the studio/show players. Bobby Lewis and John Howell come to mind. Jazzer Dave Douglas is also an aficionado. IT is a tighter bell matched to a large bore chassis, rather like the Schilke B3 (Herseth's Bb) in that respect.

I am pretty sure Murphy played an Olds Recording for most of his career. I know he was using the Recording in the late 70s/early 80s for the Star Wars soundtracks. Not sure if he may have transitioned to the Bach you mentioned at some point later, though.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played all these and owned some of them. It’s really a matter of personal preference, what kind of music you play and how you physically play. I currently own and play a lacquer 19043. BTW the 190s43w2 is a 190s43 with some gold trim and a different badge on the case.

Before this one I owned a LT180S77. I didn’t experience it as too big or too bright. It was open but I could blend with any other Bachs in a section.

My least favorites are the commercial and LR. But I’ve heard colleagues sound just fine on them.

I personally like to change horns every few years but if someone put a 180s37 in my hands and told me to just play that for ever, I would be perfectly happy to. There is a reason why they sold a half million of them.
maxmmm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
I’ve played all these and owned some of them. It’s really a matter of personal preference, what kind of music you play and how you physically play. I currently own and play a lacquer 19043. BTW the 190s43w2 is a 190s43 with some gold trim and a different badge on the case.

Before this one I owned a LT180S77. I didn’t experience it as too big or too bright. It was open but I could blend with any other Bachs in a section.

My least favorites are the commercial and LR. But I’ve heard colleagues sound just fine on them.

I personally like to change horns every few years but if someone put a 180s37 in my hands and told me to just play that for ever, I would be perfectly happy to. There is a reason why they sold a half million of them.

What kind of music do you play?
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morogan wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:
Another possibility is the 180-25L Find one in good shape and have it blueprinted. I think it Maurice Murphy who did al the Bond films, he played one. (I always get him and Derek Watkins confused) I know a few symphiny players using one (on the rare occasion of using a Bb. When I was in Chicago in the '70's it was popular with the studio/show players. Bobby Lewis and John Howell come to mind. Jazzer Dave Douglas is also an aficionado. IT is a tighter bell matched to a large bore chassis, rather like the Schilke B3 (Herseth's Bb) in that respect.

I am pretty sure Murphy played an Olds Recording for most of his career. I know he was using the Recording in the late 70s/early 80s for the Star Wars soundtracks. Not sure if he may have transitioned to the Bach you mentioned at some point later, though.

It was probably Derek Watkins, then. Thanks for the info.
Morogan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a little bit of research and, yes, Watkins is your James Bond trumpeter. However, Mr. Watkins had likely been playing his own Smith+Watkins trumpet since around 1985. So it still may be Maurice Murphy (assuming he replaced his Olds Recording with a 180-25L). I wish this kind of information was documented better.
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice Murphy also played a Severinsen/Akright Bel Canto in the 80's and 90's. NY Bach style horn designed by Doc and built by Akright.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goby wrote:

I'm going to echo a previous posters comment, that you haven't played enough brand new Bachs to think that they are never "stuffy" and "restrictive." Frankly, special 190 model-ness aside, that's a possibility with any Bach. Perhaps less than before, but it remains.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach 19037, but I installed a 25-0 lead pipe and a "C" shaped tuning slide. It opened it up nicely. It's not as open as a LB Commercial Trumpet, but it's more open than it was with its original lead pipe and "D" shaped tuning slide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: