• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Besson Cornet-50 Medal of Honour

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Besson Cornet-50 Medal of Honour Reply with quote

Came across one of these in my area. Worth much?

Bell is stamped:

50 Medals of Honour
FB
Besson
London - Paris - New York
Made in England

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gkGNqtpi8CVTjasb7
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can make a stab at this...I can tell you what it ISN'T. It isn't a Besson International, Besson 2-20, Besson 10-10 or Besson Imperial or Sovereign. Those are the premium models I can think of offhand. Since it isn't branded as one of those, I am assuming it is an entry level model Besson. Based on the picture of the bell, the lacquer is off this horn and it isn't in the greatest of shape. You don't show the rest of the horn, so I can't see whether it has triggers on 1st and 3rd valve slides, which would indicate it is a premium horn. I assume it doesn't have these.

Besson made nice, sturdy cornets, so this is probably a nice, playable example of a '50's to '70's (???) cornet...but there isn't a lot of demand for these. Most kids want a trumpet.

I ran across this similar horn on ebay for $200 BIN, so I would assume yours is worth a little less than that at a going rate:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184617660022?hash=item2afc11ee76:g:pgMAAOSwjqFf~QZ8

Maybe one of the Besson experts on here can add more. Hope this helps!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it only has a trigger on the third valve slide.
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom of the 2nd valve casing is stamped Besson Brevete.

I believe its mid-50's.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royjohn, tbh I think that seller will be waiting a very long time to sell it $200. I've found 'sold items' ​searches are the way to go if using Ebay to estimate something's market value - or potentially 'completed items' as price info for items that failed to sell can also be interesting.

PNut, those scratches in the bell suggest a very hard life to me - judging from that photo alone, I'd treat it as near-worthless.

(All this is from a UK perspective but while there's more demand here than in the US or Canada for cheap cornets for beginners, we're also really well-supplied with old British-made stuff so I'm not sure there'll be much difference in prices.)

It probably doesn't make much difference either way to the value but, out of curiosity, does it have a long bell or a shepherd's crook?

Mike
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Brevete, AFAIK, is a standard rather than an entry level horn, but I'd still put the value around the same range...maybe someone else will disagree...
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
PNut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No shepherds crook.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNut wrote:
No shepherds crook.

IMO that gives it a bit more curiosity value (since British makers made relatively few compared to their vast output of SC cornets). However, I doubt you'd have to spend much to get a vintage US-made cornet that would outplay it, even if it turns out to be in OK condition.

royjohn wrote:
So the Brevete, AFAIK, is a standard rather than an entry level horn, but I'd still put the value around the same range...maybe someone else will disagree...

I agree this is most likely a mid-range horn but, to clarify something that causes a lot of confusion, Brevete is the French word for 'patented' and appears on loads of products of both the French and English Besson companies. It gets used in lieu of a model name to refer to the typical style of French Besson trumpet as opposed to e.g. the Besson Meha. I don't know enough about those horns to comment on how reasonable that is but I'm confident that, with stuff like the cornet PNut's asking about, it's best not treated as any kind of model identifier.

Mike
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Breveté has nothing to do with a model name. It means only patented.
I have some different Besson trumpet and cornet models (the oldest 1915) that have nothing in common but they are “Breveté”.
When people buy a Besson “Brevete”, they do know what they buy unless there is a model name on the bell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: