• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B&S unknown model (from 70s /'80s)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pistonlover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: B&S unknown model (from 70s /'80s) Reply with quote

Hello! As I told in other post before, I have in mind to buy a nice B&S horn I found used. Its in fair conditions of laque but totally in function and with no hits or scratches.

The owner doesn't know the model, so nothing appears engraved, only the B&S logo, serial num and "made in GDR" on the leadpipe. I attached a photo. Could you know more about the model only looking out the photo? Or, could you tell me pros and cons of this horn If someone have had one? I'm a student with no high level. Studying with Arban and flirting with blues scales and some commercial.

Thanks!

Stagg 77-B (Flugel) + 3CFl.
Yamaha YTR2335 + Bach 3C, Stomvi 3E.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can contact Buffet Crampon and they may be able to help.

You can also try info@b-and-s.com but I don't know if the address is still operational.

Kent
Pistonlover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
You can contact Buffet Crampon and they may be able to help.

You can also try info@b-and-s.com but I don't know if the address is still operational.

Kent

Thanks Kent! I did this, with the guy who.represents buffet crampon in Spain. But still waiting for a response...

Pistonlover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and sorry to be insistent on this issue. Next Wednesday I'm going to take a look at this horn. The same guy also has a Bach ts200s for sale. I would like to know more about the B&S in the photo and know which of the two trumpets might be better for me. I am a student, with a rather low level but with a lot of interest to improve (I practice one hour a day and receive private lessons). I would like a trumpet wich I could step a little more. And maybe play in some amateur band. I like classic music, I grew up in a musicians family, my grandfather is a professional trumpet player (He was a virtuoso in his best years according to many publications) so classic is what I feel home, but I would like to flirt with blues, jazz, soul, as I play with my piano.

Thanks!!

JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that you talk with your teacher.

Ask the teacher what PROBLEM there is with your Yamaha that could be fixed by you getting a different trumpet. Or perhaps FIX the Yamaha.

Ask the teacher HOW you should test the other trumpets (the B&S and the Bach) to compare them to your Yamaha.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best recommendation would be to take a more experienced trumpet player along and have them demo any candidate horns against whatever you may already own. That should tell you two things. If any of the horns have flaws. And you can hear from in front of the bell how they sound to see which you like better.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
tom pennell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Mystery B&S Reply with quote

This is the second example of this particular model I have seen. The first is mine!
Detailed info on the horn is hard to find, but I did contact the good people at Buffet Crampon and they suggested it is a Record 200 or 2000, I can't recall. No matter. It is an interesting and especially well made instrument that plays nicely, to my abilities at least. I bought mine in March last year, but with COVID 19 restrictions, last night was the first chance I had to play it in a band environment. If you get the chance give it a try. If it is mechanically sound I don't think you will be disappointed.
Regards Tom
Pistonlover

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I suggest that you talk with your teacher.

Ask the teacher what PROBLEM there is with your Yamaha that could be fixed by you getting a different trumpet. Or perhaps FIX the Yamaha.

Ask the teacher HOW you should test the other trumpets (the B&S and the Bach) to compare them to your Yamaha.

Thanks! Yes I'm in contact with him all the time. There is no functional problem in my Yamaha, it's revised, main slide is new, etc. It's only that it's super easy to overblow it. It have a good sound playing soft and I like it's sound. if I attempt some passage in "ff" I can hear sounds near a truck horn, not clear sound but like broken sound. This does not happen with my flugel or with the strdvrius of my grandfather or any other trumpet I'd played. My teacher says it could have a very restrictive leadpipe or something like that because it's a horn made for young students.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: