• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

what's your experience with Karl Hammond pieces?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: what's your experience with Karl Hammond pieces? Reply with quote

I have been playing Lotus pieces for past year or 2, but get really frustrated with them with an issue i have talked about before. The issue is when I start to get tired they become pretty unplayable for me. I bought a Kanstul monette copy to try the other day from Jack, and of course that didn't work for me. First it was far more airy than the lotus pieces and I didn't feel I has the same core sound, then had the same issue with being tired.

I have been taking lessons lately and it is suggested I switch back to a traditional mouthpiece as they are more forgiving to playing with tension when tired and this is most likely my issue. I'll most likely be giving up a bit of the slotting and intonation precision and ease I l9ve of the lotus when I am on, but when I start to get tired it won't be as much of a an effect on my sound and frustration because I can't play.

I have heard good things about the Hammond designs mouthpieces and would l9ve to hear your experience. I talked to Karl a couple of times about this issue and got his recommendations. I then put my Kanstul m-b4 mouthpiece up for sale then got an offer for a trade for a brand new Hammond 4mlh piece and took uo the trade offer.
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you've got one on the way, why not give it a good try and then answer for yourself?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
So, if you've got one on the way, why not give it a good try and then answer for yourself?

I'm going to give it a try, but still like everyone's opinion as well.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chef8489 wrote:

What difference does it make?
(Rhetorical question because I do it myself.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
chef8489 wrote:

What difference does it make?
(Rhetorical question because I do it myself.)

Well I'd just like others experience with these pieces. I have not heard much about them unlike other makers like Greg Black and so on. Why does it matter to you so much that you had to jump in here? If you have experience with them please state it, otherwise it's pushing the topic off subject.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Hammond 4ML for a while. It was my transition piece from Monette back to more conventional design. No complaints. I ultimately moved from Hammond to Pickett because I really liked the acrylic tops option and found the rim/cup at least as comfortable.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I played a Hammond 4ML for a while. It was my transition piece from Monette back to more conventional design. No complaints. I ultimately moved from Hammond to Pickett because I really liked the acrylic tops option and found the rim/cup at least as comfortable.

How was the intonation and slotting? One thing I love about the lotus is slotting and intonation is so precise and easy. Other than when im tired, i dont have to think about it. It just goes where it should. With my Bach pieces in past there was some issues like transition from mid c to d as well as others. I had to concentrate and make sure I hit them.
Hack001
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl is great and his mouthpieces are great. He has a ton of options and will work with you to find a great fit. I’ve found his pieces to be comfortable, have a great sound, and consistent articulations and intonation. He’s one of the good guys in the industry. Good luck and have fun on your new mouthpiece!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently play the Hammond ML design sized to a custom 6.5 diameter (halfway between the Hammond 6 and 7). I have both trumpet and and cornet versions, as well as some other custom designs using the rim. They provide an excellent combination of tone, intonation, articulation, and comfort. Karl is really onto something with his cup design; it performs the way his website describes it.

I like the rim design so well that I had Mark Curry match it to his FLM, TF, and Conn short-shank cornet designs.

Karl Hammond has an impressive mastery of mouthpiece design, and he's an incredibly nice guy as well. He told me that he particularly likes consulting with players to find mouthpiece design solutions that meet their needs. His custom work is not cheap, but worth every penny.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the mouthpiece in today. So far love the sound, but might be slightly too big. I know I need to spend a lot more time with it. Wish I had a 5mlh to compare with it, but I know a bach 3c was too small in the past.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that Hammond pieces tend to feel a little big because the inner part of the rim seems to 'fall away' a bit (this is before you reach the bite/undercut. I imagine this is to give the lip more freedom to vibrate.

I would try playing your mouthpiece for a while before drawing any final conclusions.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
I've noticed that Hammond pieces tend to feel a little big because the inner part of the rim seems to 'fall away' a bit (this is before you reach the bite/undercut. I imagine this is to give the lip more freedom to vibrate.

I would try playing your mouthpiece for a while before drawing any final conclusions.
I will definitely do this. I actually think my Lotus 1l2 is a larger piece over all when I hold them up against each other and up against my lips. I think I should give it a few weeks exclusively to give it a fair shot.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammond makes excellent mouthpieces. I've really enjoyed the sound of every one I've played. However, for me, I can't play intone as easily as my Monette pieces.
brassmoose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on a mouthpiece safari for about the past 9 months--mainly for a lead piece, a more versatile sounding lead, and a jazz piece. Over the past 3 months I found myself gravitating towards the Hammond, Reeves, and James New lines. I have (for now, ha!) settled down into a Hammond 3 with a threaded rim (great work by Matt Frost) and a James New W5 rim. I threaded the Hammond 3S for lead (and the versatile lead) and threaded a Hammond 3MV for jazz.

The Hammond rims are great, but I enjoy the wider & hair flatter W rims from James New. Matt Frost had to blend the cup a bit to make it match the rim as the Hamm 3 is a tad smaller than the W5 (the Hamm 3 is IMHO like a Reeves 43).

The 3S, for a lead piece, really flows & has a nice full big & not overly bright sound. I can solo on it & not sound like a buzzing bee or tin can. The 3MV is more dark and fat(?) while providing flexibility. Both are #27 throats, so no worries about the Monette throat issues.

I have an unaltered 3ML that I like but haven't touched it in a month or two as I've focused on the 3S and 3MV. I also have an unaltered 3MB that is a slightly brighter version of the 3MV and with the #3bb it blows a little freer & bigger. Not sure if I'll use it, but it's there. I've toyed with playing in a NoLa style brass band & the 3ML would be great for that.

The Hammond blanks are a bit heavier than the average blank, weighing in at around 100mg (my Bach 1.5C weighs in at 93, for reference). The heavier blank means they will project more & be a little less friendly to close mic-ing. But Karl works a lot with marching corps, so projection is the game. The heavier blank contributes to the darker sound for sure, but not like a Monette would. I am selling my Monette & Monette copies.

On the other side, I have a James New W5S (a #27 and #2 that I use for lead playing that requires a brighter sound and/or more endurance, especially when I need to solo less. James' mouthpieces play great, too. Highly recommended. I also have a W5MS that I'll use when endurance is less of an issue. I would say the Hammond 3S is a tad deeper feeling than the New 5S (like a Reeves M cup?) but still can really zing.

The Hammonds are priced decently and Dillon ships quickly, so I go through them. His custom work seems to have long lead times, so I have gone to other folks for custom work, but I have pondered ordering a 3MV with a #3bb.

I should also add that I have a Hammond 4S top that someone cut. It loses a lot of the weight in the backbore so it plays differently. It's too small for me, but I keep it around for the occasionally screaming passage or extended High G recording session. I have paired it with a James New T backbore & it plays quite nicely. Good rim & good tone.

I hope something in there is useful.

Cheers,
- Moose
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing on it for a little over 10 days and really loving it. I live how I'm sounding on it and thinking it is about the right size, but would still like to give a 5mlh a try. I put my lotus pieces up for sale on Facebook, but need to throw them up on here as well.
jwilliamson77

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Hammond design Reply with quote

I have recently moved over to Hammond Mouthpieces in the last 6 months. Specifically the 5 series - i play the 5mv, 5mb, and 5s. These are the most amazing mouthpieces ive played on and i have played and tested LOTS from all brands - usually in the 3c size range, in trying to get a complimentary piece for my B1 which i acquired 12 months ago.
I recently moved to the 5s for lead work from a Marcinkiewicz Chuck Findlay which i played for 27 years. Finally with the 5s i have a lead piece which is pretty close to the other 5s in rim size. The reason i say pretty close is that the mv, mv and s rims all do feel a little different, though are technically the same rim. I may be wrong but perhaps it is because these are all handmade pieces, so have subtle differences. None-the-less they are all excellent for what I use them for
5mv - classical for a broader darker sound - centered and strong
5mb - classical, jazz and commercial, its a c cup - its flexible and a brighter sound
5s - for lead i can play all day - its a beautiful sound though, not harsh - this could be played on piccolo id say.

Finally - the mouthpiece searches come to an end...
Yamaha Bobby Shew jazz, Yamaha 14a4a gp, Yamaha 15c4
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Hammond design Reply with quote

jwilliamson77 wrote:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Say it again and maybe you will believe it.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hammond design Reply with quote

delano wrote:
jwilliamson77 wrote:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Say it again and maybe you will believe it.

so true. Im pretty happy with y Karl Hammond pieces right now. Hopefully I stay so. My next purchase is the 1967 Bach and I really hope it works well with it.
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about this Hammond pieces for awhile, I've heard a lot of good things about it. I play an equivalent to a Bach 5D so I guess in this brand could be something like a 6S? I would like to know about the rim on this S cup? is it flat, round, etc?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: