• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 3c vs. Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mauri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject: Bach 3c vs. Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz Reply with quote

Can anyone tell the differences between the modern CNC Bach 3c and the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz? (in terms of sound and approach). Thank you
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby Shew Jazz is the same diameter, the cup is ever so slightly shallower, the backbore is slightly tighter, and the rim is just different. For me the Shew "pops" and lights up a little better with less air, but that's just my approach for the playing I do. It's been my favorite mouthpiece off and on for a while. If you are playing more "orchestrally" I think you might prefer the Bach 3C. As for the sound, I'd say they're probably pretty comparable and depends more on the player, the approach, and matching with the horn you are using.

If you play exactly the same way on both mouthpieces, the Shew is probably thinner and brighter sounding. However, if playing the Shew makes playing overall a little easier for you, it might allow you to play more relaxed and actually get a WARMER, more malleable sound than on the 3C. That's been my experience. This is why comparing mouthpieces based on specs can be a little difficult.
brassmoose

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach 3c vs. Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz Reply with quote

Mauri wrote:
Can anyone tell the differences between the modern CNC Bach 3c and the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz? (in terms of sound and approach). Thank you

The Vennture comparator should be very helpful in answering this, at least from a build perspective. Otherwise, I'd agree with Jaw04.

http://trumpet.cloud/mpc
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not much difference.

http://trumpet.cloud/mpc/index.html?mpc1id=VA014200&mpc2id=VB001700
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago when I was a 3C player I spent a bit of time on the Shew Jazz. I really liked it for a while but eventually concluded that my endurance suffered. No idea why.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Years ago when I was a 3C player I spent a bit of time on the Shew Jazz. I really liked it for a while but eventually concluded that my endurance suffered. No idea why.

Is the flatness of the rims different?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Is the flatness of the rims different?

Can't say. I thought that the rims felt quite similar in size and shape. Someone once suggested that the throat or backbore were different.

FWIW I find the Yamaha 14F4 a perfectly acceptable flugel mouthpiece and think that that rim compares favorably with the particular vintage of Bach 3C that I prefer and also with the Shew Jazz piece.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: