• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best horn for the job

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schilkeguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a really good jazz horn for my money. I'll say 2500 as my limit. One, is that enough? Two, is the V~raptor a good jazz horn? My preference for sound is nice, bright, light, easy flowing, just all around GOOD!. Please point me in the right direction.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a lead or jazz player but I have played a lot of nice horns that would suit you in my opinion. Give a look at the following:

1.) Wild Thing

2.) Callet Jazz

3.) Bach 72* (lightweight) with a 43 leadpipe

Of these I prefer the Callet Jazz ... those horns play so well!! The Wild Thing plays very nicely too but the bore was way too big for my tastes. The Bach 72* will be the cheapest of the 3 but still a very solid and well responding horn!

Good luck!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a name like Schilkeguy, you've got to consider the Schilke X3, or the B1 or B6 if you want a little smaller horn.

You're right, the V-Raptor would be a good jazz/lead horn for a guy that likes a relatively small step-bore horn. I played one at ITG last May and think it's the very best horn of that ilk. Maybe if we knew more about your current equipment and what you do and don't like about that, we might be able to help you further.

Of course, I can't leave without mentioning the Selmer Paris Concept TT. If you like a large bore horn, then I think it's one of the very best for the playing situations that you mention.

Dave
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Lawlers at:

http://www.lawlertrumpets.com/pages/1/index.htm
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler's are fine horns also. I forgot to mention them ... here is one on Ebay with a light bell that may suit you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2370591167&category=16214
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Schilke and Lawler horns are great for Jazz. It depends on What type jazz you want to play. My Lawler TL6r has a wonderful warm ballad type sound. I had the screw bell added to add a brighter bell if needed or get a more orchestral sound with a Bach bell if I needed that type sound. My Schilke B5 has more of a lead big band sound. The Lawler is more open, responsive and versatile with the screw bell.

Horns are definitely a personal preference. You should try all of them before you buy.
Lawler TL6r1a
Schilke 1040 flugelhorn
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the Schilke B1 is the way to go. If you like bigger bores then look into the X3. Smaller bores, the B6 or B7. You can't go wrong with Schilke.
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the new Tulsa Calicchios!! I once owned a Hollywood Studio 2 (1s2) and now have the pleasure of owning a Tulsa 1sZ/3RL (.468 bore). Both horns have a nice, commercial sound -- it all depends on your preference of bores -- medium large or large.

http://www.calicchio.com

Phone: 918-743-4922

Fax: 918-743-4931

Cell: 918-691-8187

Ask for Dave Johnson (dave@calicchio.com) or John Duda.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-03 14:15, Schilkeguy wrote:
I'm looking for a really good jazz horn for my money. I'll say 2500 as my limit. One, is that enough? Two, is the V~raptor a good jazz horn? My preference for sound is nice, bright, light, easy flowing, just all around GOOD!. Please point me in the right direction.

Hi,

Lots of good suggestions already!

It would be very, very hard to beat a Wild Thing! I only live about 125 miles south of Turner Field, and I'll be glad to swing up there and let you audition both a brand new silver WT Bb trumpet I just got in, AND my personal gold one I love so much!

I also have a full set of all four regular Wild Thing tuning slides AND a full set of four of the new "J" slides. The different slides really do change both the blow, slotting and sound of the horn and I'd love to have you experience this. I feel all this makes the WT the most awesome blowing "Thang" out there.

Just let me know if you are interested!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
Wild Thing rep.

Dublin, Georgia

turner05@bellsouth.net
Schilkeguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't post earlier, the head post was by a friend of mine. At the moment, although he is a senior in high school and is going into music, he is playing on a Bundy and a Wick 1X mouthpiece (he has huge lips). He does use plenty of air. Thanks for the replies. I suggested Schilke, Wild Thing, Callet, V-Raptor, and Stomvi Mambo. Thanks again!
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gosh I'm sorry to hear that ... the almighty Bundy was my very first horn in the 6th grade before I switched to a Student Bach TR300 in the 7th grade (Woohoo!). The Bach played 3 times better than the Bundy too.

Your friend will severely like whatever he gets next to that horn!

Careful though ... the large mouthpiece may not be the best thing for a Large Bore horn.

Good Luck,
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For lead and big band jazz, the Callet Jazz is the finest I've ever had the pleasure of playing and I have played the others mentioned. But for combo work, the Callet Stratosphere is possibly even better. Though it shares the great focus, center, and sparkling brilliance of the Jazz, the Strat is more nimble - a great horn to really "get around on". Best regards, Kyle
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selmer-Paris Concept TT.
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many choices. For a little less money have a look at the Kanstuls (my favourite)....everything from the 1502 to the Wayne Bergeron. In the more expensive leagues all the horns suggested are excellent and it's probably just preference, try as many as you can.

Regards

Trevor
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw Tom's offer to try the WT. If you can manage it try and arrange it, I must admit that there are 2 trumpets I would love to try: the WT and Lawler (even when I go to the UK they're impossible to find).

Regards

Trevor
melikejazz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't a Wick 1x mouthpiece do so well on a large born horn? I do like the size......maby i could go smaller?
melikejazz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, everybody, names Ivan (friend of shilkeguy or w/e).......ummm, here's why i'm in need of a GOOD jazz horn. I'm tryin to go to Berkley Music college here in about a year, and a half. I've been playin my crap bundy for o' 3 years now. I had a 'York' (?) horn 4 years before that. (eewwww) scary..yes..but there's hope. This site! right now i think i might go with the WT horn try that guy was talkin about. I would like to have two really. One that sizzles, and one that's warm and sweet (like a chicago horn, but not at that price)
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 horns (one warm, one sizzly) at 2.5k... hmm.... I think:

1. Bach 43/43
2. Bach 72/25LR (I have one and love it, but it is INDEED dark)

Should be close to your budget.

Ducking the flames,
Josh
atom_anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about the Wild Thing is that you can purchase slides (J slides?) that change the sound and feel to where it's like having two different, but excellent trumpets.
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but check out what your prof at the music collage will think you should play. There was a guy on the forum a while back having to sell whatever he was playing (a good Jazz horn if I remember correctly) because his music school were, how shall we say this? conservative.
It's not going to be a good thing if you spend a load of money on any of the great horns that have been mentioned, spend a few months adjusting to it and then find that you will only get in the band if you play a Bach 37 to match the rest of the section. If the school is open to any horn then with the sort of money you have I'd also have a play on an eclipse and a taylor. If you search the forum you will find a few good people in the US who will give you the low down on those.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: