• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fill me in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oncebittentwiceshy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. I have been studying trumpet for many years now in school and have recently became really involved in it...I have saved up and gotten myself a nice horn but now I'm lost where to go...is there any suggestions you guys might have for me? I'm sorry I'm a little bland...but that's why I'm here.
bigbrowncow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you clarify a bit about the question you want us to answer?
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should immerse yourself in the study of orchestral music. Its the best stuff out there, even though some of the trumpet parts are less than exciting, there is plenty of work for us to do. I recommend Phillip Norris' Top 50 Orchestral Audition Excerpts. Pay special attention to Mahler and Strauss. Many challenges to come. Have fun!

Stuart
SCtrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the question is are you seriously thinking about majoring in music? If yes, do u want to major in classical, jazz, music education? If you want to perform I would definately recommend looking in your area for a big name teacher/performer in your area which you want to study with. Look at the trumpet teacher at your nearby colleges. For the most part they are more than likely looking for on the side trumpet students.

Good luck with that!!

Sammy
oncebittentwiceshy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay..well I plan to go to college..wait...I know I will...and major in music with something..but I will probably go to North Texas for jazz guitar stuff since their jazz guitar gets great reviews from that sort of thing...anywhere I go...I'll go predominantly with guitar in mind...But I want to get better at trumpet too..I'm not too bad so far...but I know you can always gets better...I was just wondering if there were exercise books that you may preach by...as far as warm-ups...developing a good tone...range...etc...but I suppose most of that can be answered somewhere else on this forum.
However, I plan to play jazz guitar or guitar at least professionally out of college and probably go into college for recording engineer or something...btw.

[ This Message was edited by: oncebittentwiceshy on 2004-01-05 19:07 ]
tims9999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Arban's book is quite large (300+ pages,) and is very extensive. I also know that the Schlossberg (spelling?) and Clarke books are also very popular.

Those are the main three I use.

[ This Message was edited by: tims9999 on 2004-01-05 19:52 ]
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like the kind of player that could be a natural jazz improvisor, without spending tons of hours on trumpet basics.

I envy great guitar players and how natural they seem to be at understanding chords.

I just bought a nice trumpet from a pro bass player who wanted to play trumpet part-time. ( I bought a OOO Eric Clapton copy and tried guitar for a year, myself)

How about getting some Aebersold play-alongs or whatever you have and learn to solo blues by ear? You might be the next Chet Baker, who never played much more than diatonic scales in the key of C and threw in a few ninths and passing notes.
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tims9999 nailed it - Arban's (and/or St. Jacome), Schlossberg and Clarke Technical Studies. However, if you don't have a teacher to give you some direction with these they can be a bit overwhelming. Arturo Sandoval put out a series of books a few years ago called "Playing Techniques and Performance Studies for Trumpet" published by Hal Leonard. It's a three book series which basically takes the meat from the above mentioned standards (peppered with some Claude Gordon type longtones) and organizes it all into a three step program. Three steps may not sound like a lot, but these three books will give you years of practice material! They all come with CD's so you can listen to Arturo crank out some serious pedal tones! The long tones at the beginning of each book are killer and, if done properly, will build you some monster chops.

FWIW. Good luck on your musical journey,
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the technique you need to play trumpet, the Arban's book is great as some have mentioned. Make sure if you aren't currently studying trumpet with someone that you start that as soon as you can. Also, any chance of playing in your school's band if you aren't already doing so? Talk to the band director at your school to see about other playing opportunities that you may be able to take advantage of. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jazz guitar cotton is pretty tall at UNT. If you take that route I suspect you'll be pretty consumed at trying to keep up with your guitar studies. I think it is a good plan to consider taking an extra year and getting a double major in engineering or commercial music. All those are pretty competitive and hard majors, but if you can cut it, you'll be well prepared to make a living around music.

If you've got any time left, taking some lessons from some of the graduate trumpet students would be useful. While still in high school you might take trumpet lessons to be certain that you're approaching the horn correctly. You'll want to play guitar in the jazz band, but you might consider trying to play trumpet in a lesser band to help develop your chops.

Dave

BTW, I play jazz guitar as a hobby and know several of the jazz guitar profs at UNT.
oncebittentwiceshy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I really like UNT...and Denton is really nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: