• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet or Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Cornet or Trumpet Reply with quote

I've been playing a rental cornet for about 6 monthes now, and looking at buying a horn. should i get a cornet or trumpet.
I like the sound of cornet, but want to play in an orchestra. Also, will i have to start again if i get a trumpet?
Thanks in advance.
SunRa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, I’d say just get a trumpet. I’ve played on both, and while they’re both very similar I think the trumpet is a bit more versatile. You wouldn’t have to start over as almost all the skills are transferrable, and by today’s standards the trumpet is simply more common. Also, if you’re looking for be able to sound like a cornet on trumpet, there are solutions such as cornet mouthpiece to trumpet receivers. The trumpet is certainly more usable in classical orchestral music and jazz, while the cornet has a shorter range of versatility when it comes to music such as brass bands.
Just my 2 cents though
1905 Conn Connqueror Cornet
1930's Conn Cavalier Cornet
Barb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunRa wrote:
In my opinion, I’d say just get a trumpet. I’ve played on both, and while they’re both very similar I think the trumpet is a bit more versatile. You wouldn’t have to start over as almost all the skills are transferrable, and by today’s standards the trumpet is simply more common. Also, if you’re looking for be able to sound like a cornet on trumpet, there are solutions such as cornet mouthpiece to trumpet receivers. The trumpet is certainly more usable in classical orchestral music and jazz, while the cornet has a shorter range of versatility when it comes to music such as brass bands.
Just my 2 cents though

Alright thanks a heap, this helps. do you have any suggestions for a trumpet around the 1000 USD mark?
SunRa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help in that regard; I’m probably not the guy to ask for a specific horn. If it helps, I’ve always preferred the old ones, and one tip is to buy used. I’ve only ever bought one new horn and I could’ve bought an excellent one used for < 70% of what I ended up spending. If you’re buying from a good source, they’ll hook you up most times and it’s well worth saving the extra $$
1905 Conn Connqueror Cornet
1930's Conn Cavalier Cornet
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trumpet is generally preferred for orchestras. As for which models to look for in your price range, a used Yamaha 4335 or even one of their 2000-series student models would be a quality choice. A Getzen 700 Eterna II, or 300/400/500 series trumpet would also be a fine choice, although perhaps a bit harder to find in Australia.

The trumpet and cornet are similar enough that you should have no problem switching back and forth. You'll need a different mouthpiece as the shank on cornet mouthpieces is too small for the trumpet. Cornets are often paired with a deeper-cup mouthpiece than trumpets. Thus you may find that if you are playing something like a Wick 4B on your cornet you'll play something like a Wick 4C on your trumpet.

Good luck, and have fun!
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SunRa wrote:
The trumpet is certainly more usable in classical orchestral music and jazz, while the cornet has a shorter range of versatility when it comes to music such as brass bands.

Not gonna argue with that, however there’s something to be said for ‘play what you want, not what’s sensible’. If your really prefer playing the cornet, it’s definitely possible to make it work (but it’s also very possible to play both side by side once you’ve got a bit of experience).
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, at the risk of being Capt. Obvious: Do you have a local orch or two that you have your eye on joining? If so, why not ask the director what they need?
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would prefer cornet but haven't been able to master it. If you can learn to approach the trumpet the same way as a cornet then you'll do well with either. On the trumpet many sins can be covered by simply over-blowing, which is counter-productive on cornet.

There are many examples on YouTube that show the versatility of cornets in the hands of skilled players. Can you bury an orchestra from the back row with a cornet? Not likely, but most of us don't need to do that anyway.

Kent
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Began my orchestral life in a brass band so obviously cornet form the start. Later wind band so cornet and trumpet. Since then doubling the rest of my life. The combination often very complicated for many years but finally solved by using the same type of mouthpiece with both horns; that is practicing on the dimension I use in the brassband but in the big bands same diameter but more shallow.

There is a huge difference between playing cornet in a brass band and trumpet in a big band - another "attitude" all together. Could write a lot about that but not now.

As Shawnino pointed out - the playing opportunities in your "reachable" neighbourhood?

In general I think you should get more opportunities if playing trumpet.
And - good luck!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Cornet or trumpet Reply with quote

Hello all,
Good points from all. After only 6 months of playing, and the word orchestra, I wonder about future intentions. Are we talking, community, amateur groups, or are we talking long term classical training??? Community bands or orchestras, as I see here in the states, have use of the standard Bb trumpet, but there are also those individuals who play cornet in those groups. Many newer student model cornets sound more trumpet like, due to the mouthpiece selection. So it really does not matter.
If the goal is more long term, with higher aspirations, a Bb trumpet now with playing C trumpet in the future would be more appropriate to reach "Orchestra" playing.
I would vote for a Yamaha 4335/5335 for the price range.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barb, to categorise it simply:

Orchestra - C trumpet
Wind ensemble - Bb trumpet
Big band - Bb trumpet
British Brass Band - cornet
Personal - anything you want.

I have seen, and used, both trumpet and cornet sections simultaneously in wind ensemble.

I think it was suggested above - check with the local ensemble(s) you want to play with and ask them.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cornet or Trumpet Reply with quote

Barb wrote:
I've been playing a rental cornet for about 6 monthes now, and looking at buying a horn. should i get a cornet or trumpet.
I like the sound of cornet, but want to play in an orchestra. Also, will i have to start again if i get a trumpet?
Thanks in advance.

Can you rent a trumpet for a time and see if you have a preference?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: