• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Good Indication?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, on good days, I think I have a good sound. But, I usually kinda slouch over and play with my bell facing under the stand and I think I'm sounding pretty decent. Then when I catch myself doing this and bring up my bell to my music stand, I can hear the sound reflecting off of the music stand and coming back at me. Is this a good inidcation of what the audience hears? I hope not, because it sounds terrible.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say, that if it sounds bad on reflection, it's gonna sound bad to another listener. Why not get a second opinion. Have someone you trust (musically that is) stand 20 ft. away and listen to you play.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a relief to know there is another trumpet player concerned about sound rather than range.

Hope still lives...
WaxHaX0rS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm concerned with both, my range sucks, haha.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be great fun AND very informative to get together with a trumpet-buddy and play each other's horns hand listen to each other from a distance. Also, play some duets and such, but take time to listen how your horn sounds when played by someone else. This is a bother, but if you can also record yourself and the other trumpeter from a distance you could get some better basis for comparison.

Playing into a stand, wall, glass door or mirror is useful to hear bits of what's going on out front. Still, you won't get the full message. I find this useful to hear which overtones the horn emphasizes. You can't hear this by just playing the horn into open space, particularly horns of the same model, but in different finishes. Just like hearing your voice recorded, hearing your trumpet sound for the first time can be a "surprise."

Ciao,

Dave
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaxHaX0rS,

What they said! I had the same revelation when I started playing toward a hard wall ... I heard a lot of breathiness that I didn't want in my sound! I spent a LOT of time playing into the wall until I was able to figure out how to get something like the sound I wanted in the reflected sound. I could then understand what I sounded like playing "normally" (not into the wall) so that I could keep the improvements for which I worked.

Listening to the reflected sound probably isn't going to be a perfect representation of your sound, but I think it's a pretty good bet that if you can make the reflected sound sound better, you sound will be better from any vantage point.

Sound, sound, sound!

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: