• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which vintage horn to bring back?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which vintage trumpet or cornet (any horn no longer manufactured) would you like to see brought back to today's new istrument market? How would you like to be able to walk into your local music store today and buy a BRAND NEW Olds Recording, Conn Victor, Al Hirt Leblanc, Martin Committee, etc.?

The instrument would have the EXACT appearance and sound of the original but perhaps use newer materials and technology (such as monel pistons and one-piece bell) and accoustic refinements for improved intonation.

My choice would be the 60s era KING Silver Flair 1055T. It's a relatively lightweight trumpet that has a nice bright sound and the sculpted design of the one-piece valve casings and caps is purely beautiful. It should come equipped with the King 7M mouthpiece and black & silver alligator skin hardshell case as well.

Bach 3C and Yamaha 14F4-GP

[ This Message was edited by: plankowner110 on 2004-01-04 17:24 ]
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-04 12:35, plankowner110 wrote:
Which vintage trumpet or cornet (any horn no longer manufactured) would you like to see brought back to today's new istrument market? How would you like to buy a BRAND NEW Olds Recording, Conn Victor, Al Hirt Leblanc, Martin Committee, etc.?

The instrument would have the EXACT appearance and sound of the original but perhaps use newer materials and technology (such as monel pistons and one-piece bell) and accoustic refinements for improved intonation.

My choice would be the 60s era KING Silver Flair 1055T. It's a relatively lightweight trumpet that has a nice bright sound and the sculpted design of the one-piece valve casings and caps is purely beautiful. It should come equipped with the King 7M mouthpiece and black & silver alligator skin hardshell case as well.

Hi,

Of the horns you mentioned, I'd probably say let's let 'em enjoy their reputations. Most of these would not be successful today.

For instance, the Al Hirt LeBlanc looked gorgeous with it's trim and round Al Hirt medalion on it's tuning slide brace. But . . . the horn had real intonation issues unlike anything new I've seen today.

The original 80A Victor was vastly different than the Victors of the 60's, so the question would become: "What Victor should be brought back?"

The original Victor was an evolution of the Conn New Wonder, but with bottom sprung valves. It was designed to change a cornet into a trumpet while still calling it a "cornet." It is neither pure trumpet or pure cornet, yet an historically significant example of the evolution of both the more cornet-like F. Besson trumpet types we play today . . . and the more trumpet-like, long bell American type cornets that began to dominate the cornet market after the New Wonder/Victors were introduced.

It wouldn't sell today and, as nice as my '39 restored Victor plays . . . I never pick it up to play a cornet sound, nor do I grab it to play a trumpet part. It's best on the bandstand as an "attention getter" from the crowd!

The Recording was a copy of a Selmer model and probably wouldn't sell in numbers today either. Horns simply went in another direction. Still . . . the ergonomic offset second valve and the sparkling bright sound of the Recording is still loved by some . . . and talked about with awe by many who never played one. Of the horns you listed, this is a great one though!

The Martin Committee? Martin horns have always had their quirks. At different times Miles, Clifford and Chet all played 'em . . . but, like the Al Hirt LeBlanc, one must learn to live with . . . and adapt to the horn's quirks. Frankly, there IS a "new" Martin-sounding trumpet that has just come out by the "super horn" maker Roy Lawler. Roy designed it to SOUND like a Martin but also be a great playing instrument.

The early Silver Flair? Well King/UMI managed to royally screw up the original Flair just like they did when they monkeyed with the original Benge. Gosh, I remember in the mid-60's when that gorgeous Silver Flair was a REALLY, REALLY HOT HORN! I nearly bought one but ended up with an early LA Benge instead.

ONE HORN I'D LOVE SEE RESURRECTED . . .

The early to mid-1910's version of the fixed leadpipe, modern low pitched Boston 3-Star!

These horns were feathery light in weight, which made them ultra-quick in response. Thus, they weren't compromised in design to be also durable enough for the beginning student . . . but as a "hot rod" for the serious performer. The are designed for ultimate performance.

With their tight wrap offset by the .480 bore, the blow was perfect and the scale was great too. The horns have a nice, compact sound that is very sweet, compelling and mellow . . . with a touch of brightness to it somehow too. Almost human in quality! The horns also slot well past Double C.

OTHER "RETRO" HORNS . . .

Frankly there are a lot of models today that are copies of the finest of the horns of the past. All we have to do to see one is usually just to open up our various cases.

Horn design is not very innovative. Very little has been improved upon accoustically since about 1915.

Great topic though! I hope others will comment on their nostalgic choices too!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
trumpetrmb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn Connstellation 38A and 38B trumpet and cornet from the 1960's, with two-toned nickel and brass trim. Really great playing horns.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the vote for the King Silver Flair.

I had a new one in 1966 - back then I was just a teenager taking trumpet lessons, and it is only now from hindsight that I can see that the Flair was a horn to take seriously, and one I definitely should have held on to, but I simply didn't know any better.

I liked the horn a lot, but to me it was just a very nice horn. Back then, about the only other horns I had ever heard of were Benge, Bach, and Schilke, and I only knew a couple people with a Schilke other than my trumpet teacher. One of the players in my high school band had some sort of Selmer trumpet, but everyone else had basic student line horns, and mostly cornets.

In my school, very few other students were serious brass players. I think it was partly because most musically interested young people wanted to play guitars back in the sixties. The only music that you ever heard back then that had much, if any, brass was Herb Alpert music.

It's interesting to reflect on this subject, because I don't think there was anywhere nearly as much equipment consciousness then as there is today, in terms of both horns and mouthpieces...
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have a Martin Committee, large bore and deluxe engraving.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmrb... for a new Conn 38B, see Kanstul's Mariachi and Mariachi Premier. They are sometimes known as "the Connstellation done right." Not that I find much wrong with the original...
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Olds Recording. I just bought a Recording and have had it for a couple of weeks. It's bright, but has a unique sound with the heavy red brass bell - I like Tom's word, 'sparkling'. It's also responsive and has excellent intonation - an outstanding horn.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djm6701,
You only need a couple of Olds models to complete the product line! Nice collection.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cornet is a 1938 King SilverTone that plays great. So for myself nothing, but for others, the solid sterling bell King.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another vote for the Silver Flair!

I have one from about '82 which is absolutely lovely, apparently these don't even come close to the older ones, would be nice to get a real comparison.

I would also love some of the older English makers to come back into being, to create me a large F trumpet. I am fascinated by these instruments, for which much of the late 19th and early 20th century music was written. I would just love to find out for sure.
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 48B in all the original finishes with the original engravings.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin Committee, large bore and medium bore AND exactly copied, meaning two piece bell and nickel pistons. (Boy, that was easy)

BTW, Al Hirt played one prior to his LeBlanc model.

Dave M
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The futuristic art deco Conn 48B may be the most artfully designed trumpet ever manufactured. Rocketeer Flash Gordon would most certainly play a 48B if he were a trumpeter!
Can you imagine dreaming of owning one of those beauties sixty years ago?
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-01-04 12:35, plankowner110 wrote:

Which vintage trumpet or cornet (any horn no longer manufactured) would you like to see brought back to today's new istrument

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: plankowner110 on 2004-01-04 17:24 ]</font>

I don't quite understand your point about 1 piece bells , they are not new. As I understand it the problem with a 1 piece design was getting the flare end the same thinckness as the throat. Perhaps the most ingenius concept in bell design was the seamless electroformed bell. I am not certain but I believe Conn was the first to go this route with the "Coprion" bell introduced in the 30's.........please correct me if I am mistaken on any of this. I think what has improved dramatically is the methods used to fuse a sheet of brass into a bell shape. Remember how on old horns that had the lacquer worn off or that had been relacquered you could see the pink braise line? well apparently at this point the brass was denser and stressed dampening vibrations. They now have ways of seaming where there is no added stress at the seam.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't care how many pieces the bell on my horn is made from, as long as it sounds good. (My favorite trumpet is my Silver Flair with seamless bell and nickel pistons.) I just mentioned one-piece bells and monel pistons because these tend to represent modern technology and materials in proline horns.
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plankowner -

I'm hoping for a reasonably priced Super and I think I'd like to try the rose brass flugel. I haven't got a Special but I've played two of them and they are way too open for me - I play lead in a big band and tried a couple of tunes with one and ended up with a headache, so it's last on my list.

I wonder how close Kanstul's ZKT-1500 is to the Recording - it's got the heavy red brass bell and the fact that the other horns in the Kanstul lineup tend to be reproductions plus Zig's history with Olds is making me curious.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
KingFlair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1968 King Silver Flair about 6 months ago. I love the horn, very free blowing and the valves are fast and smooth. While I was told it is a Silver Flair there are very few markings anywhere on the trumpet. Can someone out there provide me with details as to exactly what to look for to verify whether it is a silver flair or not. The serial # does confirm that it is anywhere from 67-68.

Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: KingFlair on 2004-01-05 07:55 ]
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, how about Bach make a Strad like they used to

Happy new year everyone
Mark
trumpetgeezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Silver Flair that I bought when I was in high school in the mid 60's. I stopped playing after that but carted that horn around with me for about 30+ years. I started playing again after a VERY long layoff and bought a Schilke S-32, which I love. Having said that I am sure glad I managed to hold on to the Flair, it more than holds it's own.
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the martin committee, perhaps without the quirks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: