• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds special vs old Recording

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Olds special vs old Recording Reply with quote

Hello,
How do you think the Special compares with the Recording ?

Thank you
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST, UNLESS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN READING ABOUT OLDS SUPER VS. RECORDING TRUMPETS.

################################

Read the second post in this thread:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30744&highlight=olds+super+recording+unicorn

################################

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be nitpicking but that’s a comparison between the Super, Recording and Super Recording trumpets. How is that relevant to comparing Special and Recording cornets?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Not to be nitpicking but that’s a comparison between the Super, Recording and Super Recording trumpets. How is that relevant to comparing Special and Recording cornets?

It's not. And it's not nitpicking either. I just overlooked the forum in which this was posted (although there is a slight chance the OP may have selected the wrong forum to post in -- the type of horn isn't mentioned in the actual post or the title of the thread).

I guess I shouldn't make hasty posts in such close proximity to Friday the Thirteenth. Sorry!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, try JonathanM's post on the second page of this thread:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37981&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=olds+super+recording&start=20

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thread that may be even more helpful:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120711&highlight=olds+super+recording

Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned both Special and Recording cornets from the LA and Fullerton periods. The Special cornet is much more "normal" and has a standard American cornet wrap. The Recording cornet has an extremely tall valve section and unique wrap with the tuning slide arranged to be next to the 3rd slide. The Special cornets that I have owned have all had a broad, dark sound and great playability. The Recording cornets seem to be a bit brighter and more focused, but this can always be tempered with a larger or deeper mouthpiece. The Recording model is also a bit heavier, an this extra weight might translate to less feedback behind the bell. Honestly, I have a slight preference for Special cornet, but the Recording model is just so cool that it's hard not to love it.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Halflip for the link to the other thread.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerouack wrote:
Thank you Halflip for the link to the other thread.

My pleasure -- glad I could help.

JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Folks, glad to see my vids are up and scaring people. Hopefully - just a little humor.

The worst thing about the first video is that the Olds Recording cornet had an older mouthpiece receiver; it takes a large mouthpiece shank and the only mouthpieces I had to fit it were flugel pieces. In this later vid (posted below), the Olds Recording cornet takes a standard mouthpiece. I again compare it to my trusty Olds Special - but the comparison is now with similar mouthpieces; a much better comparison.

The Olds Special is one of my favorite cornets, at least the tri-metal one is. The bell is Nickel-Silver (and it's THICK), with the bronze tip. I've had several like this and I really liked every one of them. I think these metals yield a complex sound that I find quite appealing.

As for the Olds Recording cornet - I think it's a stellar horn as well; almost the perfect cornet. It yields a gorgeous tone; both of the ones that I've had played dark but not at all dead; just fantastic cornets. The one thing I dislike about them is wrap; it's difficult to clean the leadpipe - as it ends in to the first valve. A leadpipe swab doesn't do well, and pouring a little alchohol down the leadpipe for cleaning - if one isn't careful - leads to that alcohol going right into the valve block. For cleaning that may be great - but it really cuts the valve oil. Anyway, I find that wrap a bit of a bummer.

Also, the later Recording cornets saw Olds move the trigger from the third slide to the tuning slide; so there you have a 'whole horn tuning mechanism' which is neat.

Funny, but my Recording trumpet is not dark at all; it's a very clear, projecting tone - rather unilike the two Recording cornets I've had. And the Olds Special trumpets just haven't played quite as nicely for me as the Special cornets seem to. But they're all Olds, and that's all good.

Link

Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
The one thing I dislike about them is wrap; it's difficult to clean the leadpipe - as it ends in to the first valve.

You might try BlowDrybrass sometimes. I have a similar problem on my flugel (the leadpipe is short ends straight into the 3rd valve) and got BDB specifically to be able to clean it…and it works like a charm.

Also, I really enjoy your video…the Recording cornet is still on my ‘wanna try it someday’ list, but until then video’s like yours will do .
AR Resonance mouthpieces
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A flügel leadpipe into the third valve?
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:

Well, the piece of tubing that connects the removable tuning bit that accepts the mouthpiece to the valve block...I don't know what it is called in English (or in another language for that matter ).
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
delano wrote:

Well, the piece of tubing that connects the removable tuning bit that accepts the mouthpiece to the valve block...I don't know what it is called in English (or in another language for that matter ).

Your English is fine. The point is, on standard wrap flugelhorns, that piece of tubing connects to the first valve casing, not the third.

stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
Your English is fine. The point is, on standard wrap flugelhorns, that piece of tubing connects to the first valve casing, not the third.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. You’re correct, it’s not a standard wrap flugelhorn. It’s also not a cornet and not made by Olds, so sorry for derailing the thread .
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
You’re correct, it’s not a standard wrap flugelhorn. It’s also not a cornet and not made by Olds, so sorry for derailing the thread .

Well gee, now I'm dying to know what it is! Care to tell? Maybe share a pic?

stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a PM.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Special can sound very good but I don’t have other model to compare.
Mistakes are mine not the instrument.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/02aTIuogN8jxAgGrq7u2pHgEw#MOTIV_Video_20230117193741
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Amazing Trumpets Reply with quote

I have played or owned several different Olds Models - including the Recording and the Special. The earliest Recording I owned was in the second year of production and it seemed to have more copper in the bell and a darker sound than the later models. I have always been intrigued by the Recording. It had a beautiful sound with good projection. Though it took me a little adjustment to get used to the offset valve.

My favorite Special was with the two-tone bell. It had a nice round beautiful sound that would work well in most musical genres. I really miss that horn.

Olds had so many great models.
kerouack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought all Specials had ( two tone bells like mine )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: