• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Switching mouthpieces for C Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumptrevol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Switching mouthpieces for C Trumpet Reply with quote

Do you like to switch mouthpieces when you switch to C trumpet?

I’m trying to figure out if I should get a custom piece made just for my c(25 throat, 24 backbore).

I play a stock Bach 5C on both Bb and C and I wanted to know if getting those custom adjustments will aid any difference in my playing
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a mouthpiece with a larger throat and more open backbore on my C trumpet for a while, but I found I played better on my normal mouthpiece. Maybe because that’s what I had been using for years and I was used to it?
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I tried a mouthpiece with a larger throat and more open backbore on my C trumpet for a while, but I found I played better on my normal mouthpiece. Maybe because that’s what I had been using for years and I was used to it?

I couldn't agree more ! It took me years to come full circle and figure out that my Bb mouthpiece works just fine on my C. I tried every brand I could with a 24 backbore in it. "Maybe this will be the one! It works for everyone else." I finally realized that I didn't need to have it drilled open so far. In fact, opening it up spread the sound and took away all the healthy resistance that I liked. Play what you feel comfortable on and you will be a better trumpet player.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisf3000 wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

I couldn't agree more ! It took me years to come full circle and figure out that my Bb mouthpiece works just fine on my C. I tried every brand I could with a 24 backbore in it. "Maybe this will be the one! It works for everyone else." I finally realized that I didn't need to have it drilled open so far. In fact, opening it up spread the sound and took away all the healthy resistance that I liked. Play what you feel comfortable on and you will be a better trumpet player.

I definitely can agree with this with one caveat: I think there needs to be a good balance between mouthpiece and horn. If you have a horn that is really open, then you probably don't need to mod the mouthpiece. if you have a tighter blowing horn, then a more open mouthpiece can help that too.

FWIW, I switched to a larger size rim, but backed off the throat to a 26 instead of 24 or larger and found a good backbore that worked as well. Balance is your friend!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the 24 (Schilke Schmidt, Curry #2) backbore and open the throat gradually. I use a 5 sided broach, just like the one that Vincent Bach included with his pieces back in the day.

I have a Curry C cup (custom rim) with the #2 backbore. I opened it gradually to #25 and hit the sweet spot there.

I also have the BC model which includes the #2 backbore and larger throat. It is a deeper (B) cup. I would use it for section work.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I recommend finding the best fit for each trumpet.

My recent experience is having bought a new C trumpet. I went from a 40 year old Bach CL 239 Bell with some other mods, to a new Bach CL 190229 and found I liked a slightly different setup for this instrument vs. the old one.

So, each trumpet and player combination will have a different sweet spot.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a neighbor that was the long-time Conn-Selmer rep for the SouthWest US. He recently moved to a retirement community in central Texas but he always claimed, with no qualifiers, the letters following the Bach numbers indicated the pitch of the horn it was cut for, ie: a Bach 3C is made for a 'C' trumpet, the 3B is for a 'Bb' trumpet, etc.

Even-though I bought a few horns from him I never bought into his claim that the letters indicated the horn key. If one of you more knowledgable persons has any idea where this theory may have originated I'd be willing to listen.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

In my experience, the octaves can be a little compressed on C trumpet with a "standard" setup. For me, high C is flat with a 27 throat and bach style #10 backbore. I think it's safe to say that most professional orchestra players play a piece that is a little more open on C trumpet.

My recommendation would be to get your same piece with a 24 backbore. Then, if it feels a little tight or compressed still, open the throat to a 26. You can gradually open the throat until you find what works for you.

This is what works for me and many of my colleagues, obviously other people may have different results.

Good luck!

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
... If one of you more knowledgable persons has any idea where this theory may have originated I'd be willing to listen.

-----------------------
That probably came from an old Bach mouthpiece description chart,
see -
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/VB42.jpg
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/VB43.jpg

if you want to save a copy of those jpg files, download them now - I'll delete them in a few days.

I don't know what time period those pages are from.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Flip Oakes (by Mark Curry) stock "C-trumpet" mouthpieces with my C and D/Eb horns. They have a shorter shank, larger throat, and more open backbore. For me, they help intonation and make the "feel" a little closer to my Bb.

FWIWFM - Don
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECLtmpt2 wrote:
I had a neighbor that was the long-time Conn-Selmer rep for the SouthWest US. He recently moved to a retirement community in central Texas but he always claimed, with no qualifiers, the letters following the Bach numbers indicated the pitch of the horn it was cut for, ie: a Bach 3C is made for a 'C' trumpet, the 3B is for a 'Bb' trumpet, etc.

Even-though I bought a few horns from him I never bought into his claim that the letters indicated the horn key. If one of you more knowledgable persons has any idea where this theory may have originated I'd be willing to listen.

Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I cannot imagine to play my alto trombone with a Bach E trumpet mouthpiece that also fits à Piccolo trumpet. Not only the shank does not fit at all, but regarding the sound...Were the alto trombones so different at this time?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy way to get an idea if there is a benefit would be to get a Bach 6B and a Bach 6BM on trial. OK - they are a little smaller than the 5C but you could at least see the difference that a larger #26 throat, rather than the #27, and a #24 backbore rather than a #10 makes. (The 6BM is a stock Bach model with #26/24 so no custom work is needed.)

If that ends up being promising, there are then several ways you could go including having a 5C top cut and threaded for backbores and the throat opened. (I think both Pickett and Warburton make specific backbores for C trumpet.)
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
An easy way to get an idea if there is a benefit would be to get a Bach 6B and a Bach 6BM on trial. OK - they are a little smaller than the 5C but you could at least see the difference that a larger #26 throat, rather than the #27, and a #24 backbore rather than a #10 makes. (The 6BM is a stock Bach model with #26/24 so no custom work is needed.)

If that ends up being promising, there are then several ways you could go including having a 5C top cut and threaded for backbores and the throat opened. (I think both Pickett and Warburton make specific backbores for C trumpet.)

FYI: The 6BM was actually the stock mouthpiece included with new mellophones.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:

Bach B cups come stock with a 7 backbore.

The standard pairings are:

No letter - 10
A cup - 24
B cup - 7
C cup - 10
D cup - 76
E cup - 117

The 6BM is its own design, and as you said, has a 26 throat and 24 backbore.

Curry describes his #2 as a "Schmidt"-style backbore.

In the Bach mpc manual, the 7 is described as a "Schmitt" style backbore, and the 24 as being larger than the 7.

As far as backbores others have mentioned, I'm not so sure the Schilke Schmidt, Curry 2 and Bach 24 are all that similar. I have all three and they they play quite differently even with the same cup (they're threaded), and crude tests such as checking how far something can be inserted into the backbore show vast differences, much less the minute differences more exact testing would show.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:

Bach B cups come stock with a 7 backbore.

I stand corrected - I was thinking of the straight 6 I used for a while. The 6BM does make a nice smaller C mouthpiece though.
ECLtmpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay & Dale. I appreciate the info. I always wondered whether or not that was just another tall tale.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with different Bb and C trumpet mouthpieces involves the difference between standard and short-shanked mouthpieces.

My C trumpet feels far more nimble and responsive and plays more easily in tune with short-shank mouthpieces.

I my main Bb mouthpiece and my C trumpet mouthpiece have similar specifications except for the length of the shank (i.e., both 1.5 rim, similar medium cups, same throat size, just different backbores due to long and short shanks).

So, you may want to experiment with different shank lengths to see if you find a benefit.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming back to the question of specific „C length“ mouthpieces. I’m perfectly happy with my AR Resonance pieces that I use on both Bb and C, BUT I just discovered last night that Tony at AR came out with C, D, Eb, … backbores.

So: has any of you AR players already tested the C shanks? Opinions, impressions?
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't tried them but I doubt Antonio would make them if he didn't think the different lengths were beneficial.[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: