• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Decent USB mic and camera combo Need Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnmash2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Decent USB mic and camera combo Need Help Reply with quote

Hi all, There's another recent thread here about needing a USB mic, but I didn't want to hijack it.

My Windows PC has no camera as well as no mic. If I wanted something decent for Skype and Zoom, etc. what do you recommend? Maybe under $200 but I'm flexible.

Thanks
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Zoom Q2n and it work s well for me. Much better mics than any PC. Plus it is a nifty video and audio recorder.
sdr93trp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just wanting something for taking Skype lessons and stuff like that, any Logitech webcam will work fine. They have options that go from less than $50 to $200 dollars. The $30 c270 would probably be fine. The c920 is a solid step up option.

For USB microphones, the Blue Yeti is probably the best bang for the buck microphone under $200. Rode and Audio Technica also have really solid offerings in the same price range. Any of them will probably be fine. I have an at2020 usb+ and it's perfectly fine. I've owned a Yeti in the past and I would say the 2020 is little cleaner sounding but I highly doubt the Skype and Zoom codecs are good enough for it to make any real difference. Go with the cheaper option.

Now if you start looking at doing more professional quality recordings, that's a whole different ballgame. Hope this helps.

Yamaha YTR-6335 MV Bb
1936 Buescher Aristocrat LP235
MP- Kanstul CG3
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this argument about mics before.

Trumpets have greater demands than most instruments have and it is all in the specs of the mic that tells the story.

The blue yeti meets all trumpet requirements. and I can only concur with sdr93trp.

Trumpets generate harmonics all the way up to and beyond 20,000 hz and the audible range of the human ear extends up to 20,000 hz.

The higher frequencies above 20,000 hz do still affect the musical experience for the audience even though they cannot directly hear those very high frequencies.

These very high frequencies above 20,000 hz resonate with and rich-en the lower audible frequencies This is said to make the sound stage expand and become more enjoyable.

This is one of the reasons why trumpets sound so fabulous live and often less so when recorded.

Trumpets generate up to 110 decibels so any mic must be capable of recording that sound intensity or degradation and distortion of the sound occurs.

Cheap mics only record up to 65 decibels and their frequency response only ascends up to 12,000 hz or 16,000 hz and that is not good enough to record such a complex and rich sound presence that trumpets create.

Any mic that has specs of 110 db and 20,000 hz is as good as you can get

The blue yeti has a sensitivity of 120 db and a frequency response from 20 hz all the way up to 20,000 hz. This is more than enough and as good as it gets.

The most expensive microphone that I know of, the Brauner VMA priced at around 9,000 dollars has a sensitivity of 142 db and a frequency response of 20 hz to 20,000 hz

In my view the blue yeti is just as good performance wise at 130 dollars as the Brauner is at 9000 dollars

These critical stats are the most useful and can be used to compare any mics for suitability for recording trumpet tones correctly and faithfully.

I hope this was helpful.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Goby
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Zoom Q2n
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: