• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cleaning Brass Instruments with PBW

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thickeyjr

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Brass Instruments with PBW Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and have enjoyed all the information available here. This is my first post. I did a search and did not find anything. I am getting back into trumpet after MANY years way. One of the hobbies I developed during the gap is homebrewing. One of the best cleaners for stainless steel, copper, plastic and glass vessels is called PBW by Five Star. It is an alkaline cleaner and works particularly well on organic crud. I am curious if anyone has used it to clean brass instruments that have been sitting for a while. The active ingredients are sodium metasilicate and sodium hydroxide, but the concentration is pretty low.

My apologies in advance if my first post is blasphemy...
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm....

I'm familiar with PBW as my buddy is a homebrewer and I dabble. Don't drink my English mild, though, because something went weird with that fermentation. Anyway....

Brass is 2/3 copper and 1/2 zinc, roughly - theoretically. So, if it's used to clean copper, the real question is how does zinc react to it.

I have no real answers, just this thought. I'm hope some knowledgeable techs will chime in.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make an interesting experiment. Try it on dirty brass or copper, such as a cruddy looking penny. Look closely afterward w/a loupe or magnifying glass to check for pitting.

Let us know.
https://yourbrass.com/
thickeyjr

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Thanks for the feedback. Reply with quote

I will try with a penny and post back.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Brass is 2/3 copper and 1/2 zinc, roughly - theoretically.

You may want to fix those proportions.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

Maybe this explains?
Crazy Finn wrote:
I'm familiar with PBW as my buddy is a homebrewer and I dabble.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

Tpt_Guy wrote:

Nah, I'll leave my trumpet math as it is....
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

Tpt_Guy wrote:

Nah, I'll leave my trumpet math as it is....

Maybe math like this is the origin of ultra-heavy trumpets.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like red rot resistant brass.
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think PBW would work all that well cleaning trumpets. It's excellent for soaking out organic deposits like ossified yeast, however, it would have no effect on calcified mineral deposits and verdigris (copper oxidation). Also, for PBW to be effective, the whole instrument would have to be submerged in it for at least an hour.

Oxyclean is similar to PBW, without the sodium metasilicate. If there are organic deposits in your trumpet, which I believe is pretty unusual, oxyclean would probably be just as effective as PBW and much less expensive. Still, it would make more sense just to have your horn professionally chem-cleaned or sonic-cleaned, as those procedures would remove organic deposits in addition to the calcifications and corrosion deposits.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Dawn dish detergent, white vinegar, water. I don't remember the proportions, but any mixture of the, mostly water, couldn't hurt. I used to keep a 5 gallon bucket of this solution with a sealing cover and dip my horns and parts when cleaning them. This is what a lot of brass techs use and I'm sure someone can give the ratios.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, Dawn dish detergent, white vinegar, water. I don't remember the proportions, but any mixture of the, mostly water, couldn't hurt. I used to keep a 5 gallon bucket of this solution with a sealing cover and dip my horns and parts when cleaning them. This is what a lot of brass techs use and I'm sure someone can give the ratios.

Dave

According to the trumpet math in this thread, the proper proportions would be 2/3 to 1/2, divided equally between the three components.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
falado wrote:

Dave

According to the trumpet math in this thread, the proper proportions would be 2/3 to 1/2, divided equally between the three components.

Truthfully, though, I've always heard it was ⅓ Dawn and ⅔ white vinegar (with no added water), but maybe I heard wrong from the start. I've also heard a brass tech or two call it the "Scodwell Solution," since Tony has mentioned it a few times on TH. It works well to remove oxidation from raw brass and bronze sections/parts, but don't let your hands sit in it long. I shared this formula recently with a fella who got to analyzing all of the details of its effects on a raw brass horn off and on during the hour or so process, and he allowed his hands to be exposed way too long without washing and rinsing this acidic formula off. He sent me pictures of his hands pealing! They didn't look pretty.

Oh, and I've used this formula many times over the past year or so after learning about it. Works great! (But I'm sure there's something wrong with it for certain applications.)
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
dstpt wrote:
falado wrote:

Dave

According to the trumpet math in this thread, the proper proportions would be 2/3 to 1/2, divided equally between the three components. :D

Truthfully, though, I've always heard it was ⅓ Dawn and ⅔ white vinegar (with no added water), but maybe I heard wrong from the start. I've also heard a brass tech or two call it the "Scodwell Solution," since Tony has mentioned it a few times on TH. It works well to remove oxidation from raw brass and bronze sections/parts, but don't let your hands sit in it long. I shared this formula recently with a fella who got to analyzing all of the details of its effects on a raw brass horn off and on during the hour or so process, and he allowed his hands to be exposed way too long without washing and rinsing this acidic formula off. He sent me pictures of his hands pealing! They didn't look pretty.

Oh, and I've used this formula many times over the past year or so after learning about it. Works great! (But I'm sure there's something wrong with it for certain applications.)

@dstpt
I'm curious if you have tried it on a leadpipe that has lots of corrosion, i.e., one that's been neglected for years.
-Lionel
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
dstpt wrote:
...Truthfully, though, I've always heard it was ⅓ Dawn and ⅔ white vinegar (with no added water), but maybe I heard wrong from the start. I've also heard a brass tech or two call it the "Scodwell Solution," since Tony has mentioned it a few times on TH. It works well to remove oxidation from raw brass and bronze sections/parts, but don't let your hands sit in it long. I shared this formula recently with a fella who got to analyzing all of the details of its effects on a raw brass horn off and on during the hour or so process, and he allowed his hands to be exposed way too long without washing and rinsing this acidic formula off. He sent me pictures of his hands pealing! They didn't look pretty.

@dstpt
I'm curious if you have tried it on a leadpipe that has lots of corrosion, i.e., one that's been neglected for years.
-Lionel

Lionel, I bought a nearly 30yo Straub B-flat tpt from Mike Thomas at Burbank Tpts this past Nov. It looked to be in great shape sans the patina and grungy slides. Mike told me he had gotten it directly from Franz Straub while doing a trade show in Germany, but he eventually navigated to another horn of choice, and this horn had just been sitting in a case for a number of years. Once oiled, the valves worked great, but the 1st and 3rd slides had a ways to go. I first cleaned it with Dawn and very warm running water, using a snake down the bell, leadpipe, lower leg, and all slides. I had already dissembled the valves prior to cleaning, and after cleaning, soaked all of the valves, slides, and misc. small parts in a small container with this solution. For soaking the body of the horn, I have a larger bin that I use, but I've filled in a goodly portion of the bin with packing material and lined it with two large, black trash bags to minimize actual space needed to cover up to a flugelhorn with the solution. (Hope that makes sense.) I have looked online and at Walmart for just the right size for soaking horns but have yet to find the smallest possible size that will still accommodate up to a flugel in size, but have not found one, so I just fill in the unneeded space of a large plastic storage bin and line with plastic to reduce the amount of white vinegar and Dawn needed. I have used other dishwashing liquid brands with equal success, btw. I always try to get the horn as clean as possible before soaking, so that I can reuse the same solution.

After soaking for about an hour, I removed and rinsed using some Dawn again with very warm water to be sure I removed all trace of the solution. Then I took my Swab-Its rifle swab and ran it down the bell through the bell tail all the way into the 1st valve casing and back out...and the swab turned orange!!! Ugh! I mean, this horn had some serious oxidation on the inside. The leadpipe was not too bad, but the 3rd slide had some serious orange in it.

I guess this would be interpreted by a brass tech such as yourself as early stages of red rot (separation of the zinc from the copper in the brass), but I continued to soak this puppy a total of three times with no complete resolution in sight. I had planned to have it lacquered, and that brass tech assured me that he’d use a chemical process to remove all of the oxidation, inside and out. I did not want him to use a sonic cleaner due to discussions I had with a custom builder overseas who was convinced that they affect solder joints on a micro level. (Enter defenders of sonic cleaners now.) Anyway, it took this tech 3-4 chemical soaks (each soak only 2-3 minutes in duration), but he finally got all of the orange out. So, I guess that tells you that the Dawn/White Vinegar solution has its limits and very likely might not be fully effective on your aged leadpipe in question.

The Swab-Its swab I use says it's a "pull-through" swab, but you can also push it down the bell and slides:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SK4F2CY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

At the end of each day:
I use and reuse the same SpitBall, freshly dipped in the alcohol in the container, and my Swab-Its swab to swab out the leadpipe and tuning slide. Again, I use Dawn to clean the same spitball and swab end. I find these durable and very much reusable.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was just asking because I use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid for corroded parts cleaning and it's very effective, used correctly. But I'm always interested in other formulas. Sonic cleaning isn't great at removing corrosion. It's great at removing and cleaning grease, such as buffing grease from the factory on a new horn.

I've experienced your "orange water", usually on nickel french horn slides that are really funky. You have to scrub and rinse repeatedly until the water runs clear, then that's it.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
No, I was just asking because I use muriatic (hydrochloric) acid for corroded parts cleaning and it's very effective, used correctly. But I'm always interested in other formulas. Sonic cleaning isn't great at removing corrosion. It's great at removing and cleaning grease, such as buffing grease from the factory on a new horn.

I've experienced your "orange water", usually on nickel french horn slides that are really funky. You have to scrub and rinse repeatedly until the water runs clear, then that's it.

Yeah, I think you pretty much have to bring out the "big guns" in chemicals when it comes to removing years of corrosion, but the Dawn/White Vinegar solution works great on brightening/restoring aged brass & bronze, especially if you don't prefer a patina look. Like Tony has said, even the valve balusters and ports look new. I also use Bar Keepers Friend (BKF) when I don't want to soak parts in that solution. It requires less elbow grease than Brasso, which I had used for years to polish raw brass slides, and it is cheaper. The liquid version for Stainless Steel works fine on raw brass/bronze/copper.
thickeyjr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: PBW Update Reply with quote

I heard back from Five Star Chemicals. They said that PBW should NOT be used for cleaning instruments. Not a total surprise, but good to get confirmation.
Quote:
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: PBW Update Reply with quote

thickeyjr wrote:
I heard back from Five Star Chemicals. They said that PBW should NOT be used for cleaning instruments. Not a total surprise, but good to get confirmation.

That's more than likely just their legal team covering their butts - they don't want to get sued. I'd be willing to bet that anyone asking them a question about using the product for anything other than it's designated reason is going to receive a "no" in response.

I've never done anything beyond mild dish detergent and water, with the exception of using toothpaste on slides. If I feel my horns need additional TLC, I send them to a tech to be professionally chem cleaned. This has worked well for me for about 40 years and I see no reason to change anything now.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:

It looks like he learned math from Yogi Berra!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: