• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Appraisals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyler.slamkowski
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Appraisals Reply with quote

Hey all, I just took out a specific musical instrument insurance policy. My company (USAA) says the best way to protect the value of the instruments is to have an appraisal. Where do you get an appraisal? What's the best way to ensure an expert opinion? My horns are all on the newer end, some brand new, so nothing vintage.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should ask for more details from the insurance company - probably someone who actually deals with customer claims from their central office.

Take good photos of your instruments and record the serial number and all the other markings, such as make, model, etc.

Also ask about whether a formal written appraisal is needed, not just a 'back of the envelop' quick $ number. Expect to be charged a fee if a formal 'full replacement value' appraisal is done.

Its likely that the insurance is to cover the 'replacement cost' - so make sure you understand how that coverage amount might change year by year, perhaps for depreciation, use, etc.

One option is from a local 'brick & mortar' music store that deals with both used and new instruments.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Appraisals Reply with quote

tyler.slamkowski wrote:
Hey all, I just took out a specific musical instrument insurance policy. My company (USAA) says the best way to protect the value of the instruments is to have an appraisal. Where do you get an appraisal? What's the best way to ensure an expert opinion? .

https://www.appraisers.org/
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked music retail, occasionally, customers would come in and have repair techs give appraisals - and in a form letter if necessary.

There's a difference between current value and replacement cost. It's important to know what your insurance company wants.

Example:

A used Bach Strad goes for between $1000-2000 depending on specific model, features, era, and condition.

A new Bach Strad is easy enough to find the price on.

Most trumpets can be covered in a home insurance policy, possibly with a rider.

When the brass septet I played with had it's instruments insured (because international travel), there was a separate company that did it.

I've never had a policy for my horns, but they're not especially valuable - and also, I think they're covered with home insurance. I figured this out years ago, I can't remember anymore.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you regularly take your horns out of the house to a gig, your homeowners policy may not accept a claim. That's why I have mine insured separately. I would ask now, before you need your insurance to come through and find out they don't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: