• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Slide Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBubbles0305

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Slide Trumpet Reply with quote

Does anyone know which companies make a high quality slide trumpet? I've recently decided I want to pick it up.
Matt K

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul used to make a pretty good one. The only name brand ones I can think of now are Wessex and JP Rath. Interested in hearing if there are others myself. I just found a "Jean Baptiste" Bb slide trumpet at Dillon that's en route. My understanding is these were low quality imports but the price was right.

You can also find JinBao slide trumpets which sometimes are fine. Or fine with a few hundred worth of tech work. Slides are often a problem with imported horns. Even if it "works" smoothly the compression might be awful which makes for a not very fun experience. I think the Jupiter slide trumpets you see are older, before they started upping their quality. I've had some old dud Jupiter trombones but the new ones aren't too bad. I'd definitely stay away from unbranded ones or some of the other common imported ones... O'Malley, Selman, etc.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Slide Trumpet Reply with quote

MrBubbles0305 wrote:
Does anyone know which companies make a high quality slide trumpet? I've recently decided I want to pick it up.

Jupiter used to make one. Carolbrass still does. Odds are the Carolbrass will play better than the JinBao - even after the JinBao gets tweaked.

On the Getzen the slide crook is the same radius as a trumpet valve slide. On the Jupiter and Carolbrass the slide crook is the same radius as a trumpet tuning slide.

Some call it a 'soprano trombone' - that might help in your search.

Gary.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Terminology & Suggestion Reply with quote

I think most brass instrument makers call the instrument a soprano trombone. There is debate whether the instrument originated as an authentic part of an orchestral trombone choir or originated as a gimmick instrument.

(I'm not including Moravian Trombone Choir music or certain jazz players who have chosen to double or specialize with it. It's certainly not a gimmick in the former genre.)

There is one instrument maker (Thein) who will make a soprano trombone with an alto-F trigger, which mitigates problems with the seventh position. You cannot get higher quality than that.

I read somewhere that the Wessex's are stencil horns made in the PRC. I don't know how accurate that is. They seem to receive good reviews for their low brasses, but they are first and foremost a tuba maker. For a short time they offered a soprano trombone with an alto-F trigger at 1/4 the price of the aforementioned Thein.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't announced it officially, but I'm going to be working on one this year.
Right now Getzen is making me some slide tubes and later this year I'll be putting my first in-house bells to go with it.

I did make a 'soprano valve trombone/slide trumpet' for my 2020 April fools post which has had a number of people ask for one for themselves.
https://youtu.be/XowEU5J1MMk
Matt K

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copying/pasting this from trombonechat.com where I made this post about the Jean Baptiste Slide Trumpet I got yesterday from Dillon. Note that on trombone it isn't unusual to not use a tuning slide because you can simply adjust intonation with your main slide, I do obviously use the tuning slides on trumpet:

Quote:
I just got a used one of these off of Dillon for a really good price. I didn't expect much from it; I've played a few trumepts from them that others I know had purchased because of their price and they were all pretty subpar. The slide trumpet is actually surprisingly good. The only real issue I have with it is that it plays a touch sharp, but that's because there is no tuning slide. The bell attaches to the slide with a little clamp like Raths, but unlike them, it also determines how flat or sharp it is. I play a little off of first with my tuning slide shoved all the way in anyways (on trombone). I also play trumpet with a pretty large mouthpiece (Monette 2 Silver series rim with a Kanstul B15M underpart). It has an absurd throat size... 18... but the Monettes are supposed to play better with the tuning slide all the way in or something like that so it might be worse on mouthpieces that are more commonly used.

Otherwise, the slide is really quite smooth. I think someone put some elbow grease into it though. The water key was replaced by an Amado for one thing. There is also slight evidence of repair around the bell brace, which may have itself been reattached at some point.

Overall, a fun instrument for $150. So if you see one and wonder if it's worth it, you might end up with a dud like many of the other lower price imports, but it's certainly possible to end up with one that's actually pretty good too.
[/quote]
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:

I did make a 'soprano valve trombone/slide trumpet' for my 2020 April fools post which has had a number of people ask for one for themselves.

That would have been funny even if the horn had just been a lash up. It's absolutely priceless with such a convincing instrument!

Mike
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nice Miraphone Bb soprano trombone I got in some kind of trade lot about 20 years ago. It was a serious instrument, telescopic handslide (smaller bore upper tube, larger downstream tubing) that definitely sounded more "tromboney". I presently have one of the Jupiter slide trumpets. Really don't use it much, but my daughter in law likes to use it as a prop for kid pix. It is a nice enough horn. Whatever Seb Skelley plays in his YouTube stuff is plenty good sounding.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:
Divitt Trumpets wrote:

That would have been funny even if the horn had just been a lash up. It's absolutely priceless with such a convincing instrument!

Mike

It is a real working instrument. It's a lot of fun to play and it's great having the bell so close to your ear. I haven't had a chance to play it at gigs because the timing was perfect for lockdown...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: