• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Case For Large Bb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Case For Large Bb Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been searching for a case to fit a Harrelson Summit with a 5.3 inch bell and 3/4 inch bottom caps. I've tried a number of cases, but haven't found something that I like the fit of. So far, I've tried:

Protec Slimline Contoured (case recommended by Harrelson): Bell slot was tight. Combined with how the bottom caps pushed the valve block upwards, it felt like the bell was being torqued in the case. Case works much better with 3/8 or 1/4 inch bottom caps.

Marcus Bonna double: Very tight fit lengthwise. Between the bottom caps and the large bell, it feels like the case lid has to press down hard on the bell to get the case to shut. Didn't feel good with that amount of force.

Austin Custom Brass Slimline: Can't even figure out how to fit any of my horns in it, the 1st value on all of them overlaps the block in the top of the case.

Torpedo Peacemaker: Bell seems to overlap with edge of case, horn runs into significant resistance and won't sit all the way down in the case.

Gard Elite single - Closest to usable fitment, however the height of the case causes the horn to get tipped forwards by pressing downward on the unbraced bell. It also squishes the bell very firmly into the sides of the bag when closed. I'm not sure how Adams gets this case to work for the 5.5 inch bells on the A4 and A8.

I've been looking at something from Superfine, Wiseman, and Messina Covers, with preference towards the Wiseman due to it being a hard case.

I've been unable to get in touch with Superfine or East Coast Trumpets (looks to be the only Wiseman seller in the US). Has anyone had any luck with getting in touch with either? Neither have responded to any of my emails or calls.

I'd much appreciate any recommendations for other cases to check out. I much prefer hardcases for peace of mind, but at this point I'd just like to find something that can just comfortably cradle the horn when closed.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that huge bell size and bottom caps, you seem to have exceeded everyone's tolerances for the shape of a trumpet.

I feel surprised that even a torpedo case will not work for you. I have the slightly less stiff-sided Outlaw in my case "stable", and it seems huge in there. However, I can imagine that you just run out of room diagonally.

Have a custom case made for your horn and be done with it.

There exist several smaller companies who make custom cases; a quick google search revealed this company in L.A.:

https://www.janalcase.com/musical-instrument-cases/

You can probably also just contact Wiseman in the UK via e-mail with your horn's specifications and they could tell you if they would custom cut their inserts for your horn.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you reached out to Jason Harrelson to ask him what he would recommend? He's pretty active on social media and pretty good at giving feedback when someone asks him a question.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWG - I'll definitely contact Wiseman directly, I really should have done that sooner. I previously checked out the Jan-Al cases and was initially scared off by the design - they didn't look like something that would be fun to haul around all day. However, I will contact them to get some additional info. Thanks for the recommendations.

Honestly I feel like I'm doing something wrong - this horn is similar in size to an Adams A4 or A8, and I haven't heard of anyone having issues getting those horns in a case. I really wanted to make the Torpedo work, but it just seemed too tight - the case feels like a sung fit even with my regular sized Schargerl Bb.

trickg - I have discussed cases with Harrelson (not specifically Jason, but with Christine). They pretty much said everything I tried should work. They initially recommended the Protec for this horn, said the Torpedo should work (with many other Harrelson owners using Torpedo cases), and said the Gard should work as well. Other than the Protec and Torpedo, they didn't have any other specific recommendations for me.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something? Can't you just use a conventional-sized bottom valve caps on your trumpet when you put it in the case and then change to the larger caps when you play it?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
RETrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look at a Pro-tec IPac double and buy two of the full length flugelhorn wedges that come with the triple and sandwich the horn between them at an angle.

Or you could do the same in a triple, use the long wedge and two short wedges, and have extra room for mutes, etc. Triple has an option for wheels too, if you are

Since you prefer hardshell, here is their offering in ABS with the same movable blocks:
https://www.protecstyle.com/SINGLE-DOUBLE-TRIPLE-TRUMPET-ABS-PLASTIC-ZIP-CASE-BLACK
Picc: Stomvi Master, Couesnon Monopole
Cornet: Schilke A2C, '23 Buescher
Flugel: Scodwell Prototype
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani - I've swapped the 3/8 inch caps from my Schargerl onto the Harrelson while testing each of the cases and have not seem much improvement. To be honest, it seems the bell size and width of the horn are the larger challenges. I think the Harrleson is a bit wider than most horns, which seems to pose a big challenge for most cases.

RETrumpet - Thanks for the recommendation. That's definitely something I prefer to try before buying, but I'll see if I can locate a Protec triple locally.

giakara - a local player actually has an old Monette case that was included with his Monette. I tried the case, but found it to be too short for either the Harrelson or Schargerl. I guess the style of Monette he has is shorter than the average horn. From what I understand, Monette's case maker only makes cases for Monette horns, so I pretty much wrote off the idea of something from Monette.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: