• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holy Grail Mouthpiece (AR Resonance)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoutout to Tony from AR. I have been on AR since pre-pandemic and immediately felt at home. The piece is the one that allows me to move from bottom to top with a smoothness I never had before. The most impressive thing for me really is the „fluid“ way of playing I have now. I never need to reset, large intervals are easy and the rim is extremely comfortable.

So just recently I upgraded from the initial brass version to bronze for the rotary and to nickel silver for the Bach. It does make a difference but I will keep the brass as well.

There are other good pieces out there but at least for me, AR is a winner. Plus Tony is GREAT to work with; precise, fast, very clear in his communication. Highly recommended.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
There are other good pieces out there but at least for me, AR is a winner. Plus Tony is GREAT to work with; precise, fast, very clear in his communication. Highly recommended.

+1
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have an AR Resonance mouthpiece that I used to play for a few months. I don't currently use it but I think it's a good idea to hold onto mouthpieces that were at one time "the one." We are always changing little things about our playing and embouchure, and you never know if a certain mouthpiece will do the trick again in the future.
However, this thread should be stickied as a cautionary tale, because the OP said they found the holy grail mouthpiece, came back and said it was still perfect, saying "check back here a year from now" and then posted the mouthpiece on the marketplace shortly after! No disrespect OP, we've all been there...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Resonance is sitting in its box. too. Beautiful and well-constructed but no real value-added, for me, to what I usually play.

(If anyone wants it, the price would be right.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
However, this thread should be stickied as a cautionary tale, because the OP said they found the holy grail mouthpiece, came back and said it was still perfect, saying "check back here a year from now" and then posted the mouthpiece on the marketplace shortly after! No disrespect OP, we've all been there...

I disagree with your conclusion. The OP may have, but several others who posted here have not. At best this thread would be a good example of how all people are different and that mouthpieces, especially the more expensive ones, should be playtested thoroughly before buying if possible.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:

I disagree with your conclusion. The OP may have, but several others who posted here have not. At best this thread would be a good example of how all people are different and that mouthpieces, especially the more expensive ones, should be playtested thoroughly before buying if possible.
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with, but I'm glad you like your mouthpiece.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with, but I'm glad you like your mouthpiece.

Well, correct me if I’m misreading your post, but you seem to say it would make a good warning to people that ‘the perfect mouthpiece’ doesn’t exist because the OP sold it again. But given that there are also multiple people who shared positive experiences about the mouthpiece, not to mention we were never given the reason for the sale (it’s a reasonable assumption but there could be other reasons). I share your concern about warning people with unrealistic expectations, but I don’t think the contents of this thread are onesided enough to make it a good example.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:

Well, correct me if I’m misreading your post, but you seem to say it would make a good warning to people that ‘the perfect mouthpiece’ doesn’t exist because the OP sold it again. But given that there are also multiple people who shared positive experiences about the mouthpiece, not to mention we were never given the reason for the sale (it’s a reasonable assumption but there could be other reasons). I share your concern about warning people with unrealistic expectations, but I don’t think the contents of this thread are onesided enough to make it a good example.

Makes me curious how much more you need for a good example (there is more in this thread than only that the OP sold his mp).
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
Makes me curious how much more you need for a good example (there is more in this thread than only that the OP sold his mp).

It's more about cherrypicking facts to support bias.

At the time of writing this post the situation is as follows:

Not counting the OP and presuming the posts are written truthfully:
-Posters in support: 4
-Posters in support that have actually played mpc: 4
-Posters that confirmed playing mpc for more than a year: 1
-Posters in disgreement: 4
-Posters in disgreement that have actually played mpc: 2
-Posters that confirmed playing mpc only for a short while before moving on: 2

To my knowledge, the OP never confirmed that the presumed reason for selling the mouthpiece is correct. As such, though it is plausible, strictly speaking it's only speculation, which weakens its position as an argument in the debate unless confirmed by the OP.

The score is pretty much a tie at the moment. Arguments can be made either way about the validity of the statements made, certainly. It's not a clear-cut case where 90% of the posts are in favor of a specific opinion though.

Another thing to consider is that statements made are by their nature anecdotal, which makes the small number of posts ill suited to support a general statement like 'holy grail mouthpieces don't exist. Based on the contents of this thread, at most it can be concluded that the mouthpiece in question wasn't the holy grail mouthpiece for the OP (and the other posters that disagreed with the premise).
AR Resonance mouthpieces
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand what you mean or what you're trying to prove with counting 'votes'.
Votes for what? Are we choosing a Holy Grail? 6 for yes, 5 times no, so the AR Resonance is the Holy Grail?
Is the earth flat or spherical? 6 votes flat, 5 votes spherical. Thanks, now I understand why I don't drop off.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I really don't understand what you mean or what you're trying to prove with counting 'votes'.

Yes you do, you're just trying to strawman. My post merely shows your confirmation bias: you're willing to dismiss 4 favorable stories by people that have actually played the mouthpiece. You conveniently ignore that half of the posters against have never even tried the mouthpiece in question. And you readily accept speculation just because it aligns with your belief. That's called cherrypicking.

delano wrote:
Votes for what? Are we choosing a Holy Grail? 6 for yes, 5 times no, so the AR Resonance is the Holy Grail?

Unless one of you is a cleric of some religious order, nobody who commented in this thread is qualified to make that call.

The Merriam-Webster definition of 'holy grail' is "an object or goal that is sought after for its great significance". To some of the posters in this thread the AR mouthpieces have indeed been of great significance, so they're linguistically correct when they call them 'holy grail mouthpieces'.
AR Resonance mouthpieces
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be quite upset. But I really believe that it's better if you read the whole thread before commenting. Nobody is against the AR mouthpieces, that's complete your invention. We all believe they are good mouthpieces. So your votes don't exist. You just missed an important part of the subject of this thread.
Just read the above posts of Hermokiwi, Trickg and mine. And the little discussion about the predictions. And that all has nothing to do with pro or contra AR mouthpieces. Nothing.
BTW both the OP and the deleted_user left this forum.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not relavent to the OP, but as far as hanging onto a mouthpiece one once used and then moved on- good idea if you don't need the money and have a big enough drawer...

Getting ready for a long run of Dolly this summer, I was practicing with my normal Schilke 15. For some reason I got into a pouch I brought along this summer and found my old Jet Tone 3A- no idea what that amounts to in comparison. I used it back in the 1970s in rock bands and as a lead piece in college jazz band. We're talking 50 years ago...

Started playing around with it for fun and have settled on it for the show. A bit more bright than the 15 but makes the right sizzle when needed up high and I'm not as fatigued at the end of long sessions. I'll not be using it for orchestra or quintet gigs but works for this.

I played everything on a Schilke 19 for something like 40 years, 4 years ago I downsized back to the 15 I got from Ren around 1969 when I bought my first horn from him. That's pretty much it over the years other than a couple of Reeves 42s I've experimented with for shows. I still have them all. Looking at the Mpc area in the Marketplace here, I doubt they'd sell anyway. Just more crap to put on the auctiion when I assume room temperature, I guess.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:

I think you are misinterpreting my point. I meant to imply that it's a cautionary tale about claiming that there is a perfect mouthpiece that will solve all your problems (a holy grail). A "honeymoon period" is a real thing when we change equipment. My point has nothing to do with the brand AR Resonance.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, evidently I’m not clear what I mean so I’ll try again:

I don’t agree that this thread makes a great example of a mouthpiece honeymoon period because:

a) It objectively contains more ‘success’ than ‘fail’ stories
b) The outcome of the OP’s story is just an assumption. For all we know the OP switched instruments or was forced to sell due to financial difficulties.
c) It describes just 1 single purchase by the OP, not a safari.

There are better examples of the ‘honeymoon’ effect that qualify for a sticky than this thread. A warning sticky should be unambiguous. This thread isn’t.

A good ‘warning story’ would be a story about a guy breaking up, losing their house and getting bit by their dog because they kept buying hundreds of high end mouthpieces (wouldn’t be surprised if such a thread already existed on TH either).

I hope this clears things up.

N.B. My objections aren’t related to the fact that OP’s mouthpiece happens to be made by AR Resonance. I honestly don’t care what anyone else plays, be it Bach, Monette, Chinesium or even their leadpipe (if it helps: I own and play multiple mouthpieces by other manufacturers).
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are better examples of the ‘honeymoon’ effect that qualify for a sticky than this thread. A warning sticky should be unambiguous. This thread isn’t. "

If you want some real examples for your own purposes, just peruse the "Mouthpieces" section of the Marketplace on TH... Right now there are something like 212 ads that probably are hawking 3 times that many used mouthpieces. You think those were all used successfully by the sellers??

As per "breaking up, losing the house, getting bit by the dog", etc., there just aren't that many people out there making their living playing trumpet. That might come as a surprise to kids spending a fortune on a performance degree, but it'll sink in eventually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: