• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams Sonic vs. Yamaha 631G

View previous topic :: View next topic  
areciboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Adams Sonic vs. Yamaha 631G Reply with quote

So, as we all know, the Yamaha 631G is a solid "midrange" flugelhorn that can be had for around $2300 new. These are very popular horns for a reason as they play decently well at their price point and are readily available on the used market. They aren't without issues, but are without a doubt a serviceable instrument to work with in most settings.

Adams has also been making some incredible flugelhorns lately. Their F-series horns are all fantastic, and between their 5 models can suit the needs of essentially any player. They can be customized, as they come in a variety of finishes, brass gauges, bell diameters, materials, etc. all of which comes at a much higher price point. However, Adams also has an entry into the $2300 category, the Sonic. Unlike their custom horns, the Sonic only comes in one bell/gauge/material configuration and two finishes to simplify manufacturing and cut costs to provide an Adams flugelhorn experience for a much more affordable price.

Has anyone ever had a chance to compare these two horns side-by-side? I've personally played both, but quite some time apart - too long to be able to decide which is the superior instrument. Personally, I think the Sonic has a lot going for it, as the valves/ergonomics are great and it has a nice, rich sound, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on which of these two horns is the best bang for the buck.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just last month I attended a local instrument convention and tried the Sonic flugelhorn and some Adams "F" series horns. I later played a Yamaha 631. I really liked both the 631 and the Sonic. They're also very similar, so I'd call it a tie.
BreakFromTheHerd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Sonic flugelhorn in 2022. The silver plating was thick and durable, which I liked. The valves were also quite good. Unfortunately, the intonation on mine was hideous. I mean, it was horrible. I assume I got a lemon, but I'll never buy another one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: