• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best vintage trumpet for $350?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to beat Conn Victors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255025509024?hash=item3b60b472a0:g:4GMAAOSw5bZg0WZ1

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those.

It played nice and was a gorgeous horn.

I think I paid $400.00 for it.
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
J.D. Heckathorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to this thread but I echo this comment and would add that a Conn 12B is another one to look out for in the $350 range. As others have said condition is a big variable with 70 year old horns but if you can snag one (especially pre-1941) it’s a great horn.

The 2B is honestly a sleeper, I recorded my entire last album with it and it is very similar to a NY Bach in terms of playability. This one you want the pre-1940 redesign without the trigger it’s a very different horn and I prefer the 8B Gustat to that one. Good luck!

cplt wrote:
If you’re lucky and patient, you can find a 1920s Conn 22B that doesn’t need any work for that price. I bought one for less than $400 a few years ago (2014ish?) that still has excellent compression.

It can be a gamble, though: years before that, I bought one for around the same price, but it desperately needed a valve job, which nowadays run at least $450. (I think it set me back $350ish in 2006.)

They’re great horns, though, and play a lot like a good Bach, despite the many differences in construction.

Edit: Something like this one is a bit over your budget, but pretty much what you're looking for: https://www.ebay.com/itm/333967076843?hash=item4dc1fd2deb%3Ag%3A0XwAAOSwKYNga1Gq&nma=true&si=H7VP9Mcowr490D1b9qe8ApwRxSU%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

(Knowing that that link will break eventually, it's a 1920s 22B in good shape for $400.)

I should add that if you're luckier/even more patient, you might be able to find a 2B or a 26B within your budget. I've never played a 26B, but the 2B's I have played have all been very good instruments. Again, however, many of them need valve work.

The 2B is a bit brighter than the 22B, at least in my hands. It could be the bell material, though: my 2B is marked with an A on the valve casing (not sure what that designation means), while my 22B has a * (indicating a gold brass bell, if I'm not mistaken?).

I should also add not to be scared off by the 22B's .438" bore. It doesn't play tight at all.

JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd enough I have a Conn 80A Victor. I was looking for a trumpet for my daughter and a friend gave it to me it. We were in the same Drum and Bugle Corps in the 60's and he played it in High School. He thought it was a trumpet, but it is a 80A Victor cornet. I got my 1947 Conn 22b from Ebay for $100. It looked like hell, was really dirty, but had no dents and very good valves. I took the lacquer off and it cleaned up really nice. Picked up a 1969 Olds Custom Crafted P-10 for about $125 off of Craigs List. It was the highest priced Olds at the time, designed as a lightweight Mendez. The lady was selling it because her band director said it played like crap. It was very clean, minor lacquer wear, no dents, nice valves that were way out of alignment. The pads were way too thick. Recently picked up a 1947 Holton 48 for $300 from a Goodwill auction. I got a Martin Handcrafted Standard off of Ebay once. Didn't pay much for it. I didn't like how it played so I flipped it. My best buy was a Kanstul French Besson Classic b-flat. It was my first Ebay purchase ever. I was the only bidder at $499. Almost mint condition and came with a Kanstul double horn case. The posting only described it as a Besson trumpet. I knew what it was from the photos. It plays like a very good Bach 37. I got my 1948 Chicago Benge at a local estate sales for $1,000, and my Kanstul French Besson c trumpet off Ebay for $750, old stock, unused condition, buy it now. Both are out of your price range, but still good deals. There are deals to be had if you are patient, lucky, and do your homework. Good luck.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JHirakawa wrote:
It was very clean, minor lacquer wear, no dents, nice valves that were way out of alignment. The pads were way too thick.

When I find an old horn in very good condition it often has had pads or corks replaced with the wrong size, badly misaligning the valves. So they don't get played and sit in the case. An easy fix.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37

Last edited by jeirvine on Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just missed a Getzen Capri cornet in perfect state for 280 EUR and a Getzen 300 trumpet good shape for 85 EUR (yes, you DID read that right). Good deals do pop up but it’s a matter of patience.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a 1955 Olds Super in excellent condition for $375
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calculating for inflation, that would be less than $350.

But more seriously, nice find!
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besson London Academy Bb trumpet in very good technical condition.
€250.-

Very good instrument, use it now for classical work
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Conn horns are plentiful, under-valued on the used market, and built like tanks. The Crysteel valves are almost bullet proof.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
taylordiving

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been exactly in your shoes once upon a time (a hard limit of $350 and on the lookout for pro horns) I consistently found the following:

Conn 22b (everywhere!)
Olds Special
Reynolds Professional

I have seen other deals on better horns in that price range occasionally but as far as something you could consistently find at any time I would suggest one of those three. As far as which one that is a very individual question so I bought all three over time and worked out that I actually liked none of them but did prefer the Olds if forced to choose.

Happy hunting!
1941 & 1942 Olds Supers
Getzen Eterna Cornet
Yamaha 8315G Flugel
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old King Liberties can be great players and they are very well made. Especially the pre-1950s models.

They are tough to play well today though, many of them have tiny bores and tiny bells compared to what we grow up playing today.
Bach 183 Flugelhorn
Bach LB 229 Eb/D Long Bell
Bach 184 Cornet
Kanstul 920
ljnev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for vintage Conn 22b (not the modern student model of the same designation), 12b, or 2b. King Liberty is another good one. Good luck!
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of 4 vintage trumpet that I managed to collect. The Olds, Holton, and Conn were relatively cheap. I paid $1,000 for the Chicago Benge at a local estate sales. All were in pretty good shape when I got them. Exceptionally nice valves and slides, very good compression. The Conn 22b was the cheapest of the lot from Ebay for $100. The lacquer looked really bad in the photos so I was the only bidder. I took off the lacquer using hot water and elbow grease. I got the Olds Custom Crafted off of Craigs list for $125. The valve pads were way too thick which made the valves way out of alignment. Think that's why the owner was dumping it. Don't think she knew the Custom Crafted horns were the top of the Olds' line back in the day. I got the Holton 48 from a Goodwill auction for just less than $300. Goodwill can be a crap shoot. I got lucky. Only had to have a bell brace resoldered and one small dent removed from the bell. That's it. But for some reason the finger buttons shafts were too short for the ports to align when the valves were depressed. Somehow the wrong buttons were put on in the past. Fortunately I just happened to have an extra set of valve buttons that aligned the ports perfectly. The Benge looked amazing when I saw it at a local estate sales. I only had to have a tuning slide tube resoldered and a couple of small dents removed. I use a cheap $20 boroscope to check valve alignment. It's common to find valves that are out of whack. There are deals to be had, and I find it therapeutic to tinker on an old horn once in a while. Good hunting. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:4_Vintage_Trumpets.jpg
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeirvine wrote:
JHirakawa wrote:
It was very clean, minor lacquer wear, no dents, nice valves that were way out of alignment. The pads were way too thick.

When I find an old horn in very good condition it often has had pads or corks replaced with the wrong size, badly misaligning the valves. So they don't get played and sit in the case. An easy fix.

I think that could have been a factor some of the better deals that I made. I picked up a Blessing ML-1 in very good condition really cheap. The horn played really bad and that may have scared away other buyers. It played fine after I fixed the valve alignment. Same with my Olds Custom Crafted. It was really out of whack. My Holton Model 48 had an alignment problem on the down strokes. All easy fixes. An ugly finish can also depress the asking price or scare away other bidders resulting in a good deal for you. As a famous musician once said "Music is for the ears, not the eyes."
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
JHirakawa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Benge_%26_Holton_Trumpets.jpg

I usually avoid bidding on the Goodwill Auction site. Items are sold as-is; usually in bad condition, sparce descriptions that are often just wrong, bad photos, and bidders seem to over bid more often than not. I check the site out once and a while when I have idle time at the coffee shop. The thing that perked me on the top trumpet in the photo, besides being a Holton Model 48, was the 3rd valve slide stop assembly. It had all the parts! That's very rare for a 75 year-old horn. It even had two tiny o-rings next to the nuts. I thought the owner must have cared and I was right. The lacquer was ugly, but that was a plus in my eyes. That could scare off other bidders. When I got the horn, a bell brace was loose, and there was a small crease in the bell. Easy fixes. It had no other problems; clean, no other dents, no rot, good valves and slides, very good compression, all for less than $300 including shipping. The 3rd valve slide stop assembly was a huge tell in this case. It told me the owner cared for the horn. My 1948 Benge also had all the parts to the slide stop and it was in great shape too. Both trumpets are in the photo. Noticing things like that can give you an edge. Life is good. Life with music is better.
'48 Chi Benge
'47 Conn 22b
'69 Olds Custom Crafted
'47 Holton 48
'64 Bach Strad Cornet
'62 Olds Spl Cornet
'64 Conn 80a
'54 Conn 34a
Benge flugel
Olds, DEG Bugles
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another three (!) Getzen Capri cornets that went for 240 EUR. I hesitated a little too long (again).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: