• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

NAMM experiences - new Bachs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:10 pm    Post subject: NAMM experiences - new Bachs Reply with quote

So who played them and what did you think?

Perusing YouTube and Google in general, there is lots from NAMM this year - but almost nothing on one of the biggest (I would have expected) stories of the year. A couple videos of people quoting marketing blurbs (one of whom indicated twice that the vindobona slide closes down from leadpipe to valves) that seemed to have little idea what they were talking about. The best, was a video by Conn-Selmer showing the 19043 with great details in the descriptive text. The accompanying music unfortunately was played on prior generation 37s for some reason.

So unlike past major maker product launches, I have heard very little - actually only from two people, both of whom were impressed not by the X or V horns, but by the Apollo (which does sound intriguing, both figuratively and literally in the one sample I have heard)

So: did you try them? What is your take on them ??

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a short video of one of my friends opening her new 19072x and Apollo. She plays a short clip against the 19072v she has been using. I know it isn't much but it is something. I'm getting a new Bach very soon, but it is a 19072g so I can't really comment how the other horns play as I have not played them. I am interested in the 190l65gv though.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cryj-_6AJQs/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=
1965 H.N. White King Super 20 Sllversonic Symphony 1st trigger

Last edited by chef8489 on Wed May 03, 2023 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound equally impressive to me. Your friend is quite a skilled player.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
They sound equally impressive to me. Your friend is quite a skilled player.

She plays for Saturday Night Live band. Unfortunately there is a strike right now, but she does some other stuff around NY as well. She played at the Lincoln Center last month and at Dizzys the other day.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one I've played is the Apollo 17043GYR. It is a very responsive horn, and seemed like a really efficient set up to me. It's not the same sound I get with my (1st generation) 19043, but it is similar: A nice fullness with a bit more spread than a 37, that brightens up very quickly when pushed.

As an aside, I've always regarded Bach valves as "fine," but lacking the great feel of Getzen, Schilke, new Van Laar...so worth noting that these valves felt fantastic. Silky smooth and really fast, with just enough resistance.

I prefer a slightly more open blow, such as you get with a Strad 37 or 43 with a 25 leadpipe. It would be interesting to try an Apollo 43 with a 25R leadpipe vice the 6R.
chef8489
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
The only one I've played is the Apollo 17043GYR. It is a very responsive horn, and seemed like a really efficient set up to me. It's not the same sound I get with my (1st generation) 19043, but it is similar: A nice fullness with a bit more spread than a 37, that brightens up very quickly when pushed.

As an aside, I've always regarded Bach valves as "fine," but lacking the great feel of Getzen, Schilke, new Van Laar...so worth noting that these valves felt fantastic. Silky smooth and really fast, with just enough resistance.

I prefer a slightly more open blow, such as you get with a Strad 37 or 43 with a 25 leadpipe. It would be interesting to try an Apollo 43 with a 25R leadpipe vice the 6R.

It would be closer to a lr18043 than a 19043. It uses the light weight. 180 valve block and not the 190 valve block.

I'd like to see how it plays. Probably sounds a bit like my 1055t silver flair. On the brighter lighter side compared to what I like in my Bach sounding horns which is darker more core.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would be closer to a lr18043 than a 19043

I'd assume so as well but only had the 19043 to compare it with. My point is that despite the different materials and the two-piece construction, you still get characteristics of the standard 43 bell.
dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: NAMM experiences - new Bachs Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
(one of whom indicated twice that the vindobona slide closes down from leadpipe to valves)

That is correct.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: NAMM experiences - new Bachs Reply with quote

dschwab wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
(one of whom indicated twice that the vindobona slide closes down from leadpipe to valves)

That is correct.

According to the Bach website, the 72V bore grows from .448 to .459, roughly in keeping with what Bach has always paired with the ML valve block 72 as an MLV, and the 65GV they describe as growing from .459 to .462, matching the L valve block. The presenter identified both as shrinking from .462 to .459 (and .462 would be quite a step change from the .453 end of the leadpipe)

Frustratingly, these videos included no playing, and no comments from anyone who had played the horns.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer, I was able to put a prototype of a Bach 37 through its paces. ( was sworn to secrecy and cannot even say who had it for us to try).
It was very different from my 50th Anniversary 190/37S. It was a very promising beginning and was the .456 bore model.
What was explained was over the years, the specifications on Bach's original designs had been altered. Bell tails, among other specs, had become too big resulting in a lack of continuity from model to model.
After many months, the powers that be at Conn-Selmer allowed these "new" innovations to be released.
There were some real heavy hitters (I was not one of them) testing these designs and giving their input on what would make them better.
R. Tomasek
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Last summer, I was able to put a prototype of a Bach 37 through its paces. ( was sworn to secrecy and cannot even say who had it for us to try).
It was very different from my 50th Anniversary 190/37S. It was a very promising beginning and was the .456 bore model.

Would you be willing to elaborate, maybe by A-B'ing to your well-understood Anniversary, on the playing experience (intonation, tonal tendencies, projection, blow, response, etc.)?

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
dschwab
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NAMM experiences - new Bachs Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
dschwab wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

That is correct.

According to the Bach website, the 72V bore grows from .448 to .459, roughly in keeping with what Bach has always paired with the ML valve block 72 as an MLV, and the 65GV they describe as growing from .459 to .462, matching the L valve block. The presenter identified both as shrinking from .462 to .459 (and .462 would be quite a step change from the .453 end of the leadpipe)

Frustratingly, these videos included no playing, and no comments from anyone who had played the horns.

A friend was sent both 72 prototypes and I was able to use both in both big band settings and at Beetlejuice. I preferred the non-vindabona, but neither were for me. The wide slots of the regular new 72 made it hard to miss notes, which was nice, and I preferred it to the vindabona 72, which felt tight to me. The top leg of the vindabona tuning slide was larger than the bottom leg. I didn’t have calipers, nor do I care about the measurements.

Being that they were prototypes, things may have changed.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was last year, but let's see if I can give a good analysis.
The 190/37S was hand picked by friend and mentor who is on at least 6 Chicago Symphony recordings and performed with everyone from Frank Sinatra to Fritz Reiner. He knows his way around a horn.

That said, the 190/37S is the finest Bach I have ever played. Most of the really good ones I have played were someone else's and they would not give them up. This horn has an even blow from the lowest F# to the highest I can easily reach, the F above high C. The resistance is moderate and feels very good. The intonation is outstanding and it has that great Bach core sound. It is very easy to color the sound and has an easy blow.

The prototype did have some of those characteristics. There was an added weight on the first slide and had slightly different braces on the bell.
This prototype (37 bell/25 pipe) was very even with a solid core up to around an A above the staff where it started to get tighter as one went higher. The intonation was good, but not as good as my own horn. The bell tail was a .456 which added a slight resistance where my horn is just a tiny bit more open. It's sound was obviously the Bach sound.

It was a good horn, but needed more tweaking to be a great horn. There was no question they were on the right track.

R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: