• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rubank Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Rubank Books Reply with quote

Hi
I have been working out of a couple books building somewhat of a routine. How are the Rubank books for an adult trumpet player who can play out of the following books? Should I skip the elementary book or are there some good tips in there as well.

Mitchell on Trumpet V. 1
Arbans - The basic material
Carmine Caruso 6 notes
Max Schlossberg Long tones
Claude Gordon daily studies
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where you're starting from, whether or not where you begin.

The Rubank books are fine. I prefer Mitchell on Trumpet, also balanced and progressive lessons.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mitchell+on+trumpet&crid=1DPC783RSYWXI&sprefix=mitchell+on+trumpet%2Caps%2C126&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rubank Books Reply with quote

Bronxgroove wrote:
Hi
I have been working out of a couple books building somewhat of a routine. How are the Rubank books for an adult trumpet player who can play out of the following books? Should I skip the elementary book or are there some good tips in there as well.

Mitchell on Trumpet V. 1
Carmine Caruso 6 notes

I started out on the Rubank books. I doubt there's much in the Elementary Book that would help you, unless you're a true beginner. But I still periodically run through the Intermediate and the two Advanced books.

In addition, Rubank's Supplemental Studies Trumpet and Selected Studies for Trumpet, both provide supplemental exercises at the intermediate and advanced levels, respectively.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rubank Books Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Bronxgroove wrote:
Hi

Mitchell on Trumpet V. 1
Carmine Caruso 6 notes

I started out on the Rubank books. I doubt there's much in the Elementary Book that would help you, unless you're a true beginner. But I still periodically run through the Intermediate and the two Advanced books.

In addition, Rubank's Supplemental Studies Trumpet and Selected Studies for Trumpet, both provide supplemental exercises at the intermediate and advanced levels, respectively.

Mike

Thanks I ordered the Intermediate book. For etudes I been using First Book of Practical Studies for Cornet and Trumpet
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Elementary Book 1 when I started my comeback last year after 4 years off. I had never really played out of it and didn't realize how quickly it took you to the top of the staff. It's much more challenging than the band methods I use with my group.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
I used Elementary Book 1 when I started my comeback last year after 4 years off. I had never really played out of it and didn't realize how quickly it took you to the top of the staff. It's much more challenging than the band methods I use with my group.

They been around a longtime. Maybe I can find a PDF of the Elementary one.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Depends on where you're starting from, whether or not where you begin.

The Rubank bools are fine. I prefer Mitchell on Trumpet, also balanced and progressive lessons.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Mitchell+on+trumpet&crid=1DPC783RSYWXI&sprefix=mitchell+on+trumpet%2Caps%2C126&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Mitchell is good. I have the first one still working through it.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of those books have material that can be used for improvement.
The key is to find the material that you find attractive and that you 'want' to play.

A very important aspect is to develop the ability to play the most simple exercises 'really well' - good sound and good timing on all the notes, not just 'get through to the end'. The tempo is not as important (unless needed for performance) as playing the notes well.

For playing 'songs', I like using the various fake books.

NONE of the books has a 'magic routine' that will somehow make you play better - you have to use the material to make yourself play better.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
All of those books have material that can be used for improvement.
The key is to find the material that you find attractive and that you 'want' to play.

A very important aspect is to develop the ability to play the most simple exercises 'really well' - good sound and good timing on all the notes, not just 'get through to the end'. The tempo is not as important (unless needed for performance) as playing the notes well.

For playing 'songs', I like using the various fake books.

NONE of the books has a 'magic routine' that will somehow make you play better - you have to use the material to make yourself play better.

I agree

I have fakebooks sometimes with all the practice its hard to find time to play songs. And that's what its all about play music you love. I have more time on the weekend.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not studying with anyone -- something well worth considering -- then Mitchell on Trumpet makes the most sense. If offers balanced, progressive lessons that cover the "fundamentals" bases really well.

You can certainly put together solid routines with the other books you've mentioned, but you may not know enough at this stage to be able to put together a more useful routine than Mitchell has already done via his lessons.
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
If you are not studying with anyone -- something well worth considering -- then Mitchell on Trumpet makes the most sense. If offers balanced, progressive lessons that cover the "fundamentals" bases really well.

You can certainly put together solid routines with the other books you've mentioned, but you may not know enough at this stage to be able to put together a more useful routine than Mitchell has already done via his lessons.

I agree I work out of that too. I try to find something in all of them. Mitchell has helped me get to the Arbans book.
Quadstriker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add to the cadence of adults using Mitchell as a primary source. I've been working my way through the first book the last few months and have found it nice and steadily paced, the right amount of challenge and the right amount of length per "lesson". It's very balanced and I'm glad it was recommended on this forum to me earlier this year.

I've got an Arban's, but I've found that I'm not going to it very much now. I'm finding a fundamentals warmup (Greg Wing 20 Minute Routine to be exact), a little scales or Clarke technical work, my Mitchell lesson, and then whatever musical material I want to play that day is definitely enough to feel like I've gotten a good amount of time on the horn for the day as recreational player.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Rubank Selected Duets Vol 1 & 2 Record the 2nd part with a click track

Big fun
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:

This seems pretty common with the older method books.

I started with the Edwards-Hovey book, which I still have. It gets pretty difficult in spots, relatively compared to the Standard of Excellence and the Essential Elements stuff.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Bronxgroove

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
Also Rubank Selected Duets Vol 1 & 2 Record the 2nd part with a click track

Big fun

Nice

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: