• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen 3916 VS. 940 !!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody get a chance to test these Getzen Piccolo Trumpets head to head yet???

Dan
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a 940S and also played the older version of the 3916 (the 916). The 940S is actually a decent playing piccolo and I owned one for a good while. I had purchased the 916 to see what the long bell would feel like and I liked the blow and sound a whole lot more. The problem with the horn though was the intonation ... it was just too flat. I was pushed all the way in and still flat on the C (Bb concert) ... and this was with a cornet mouthpiece. Maybe it was a bad horn and the reason for it not selling for while.

For the price you would pay for the getzen, I would look for a used Kanstul model or even a B&S picc. Out of those two, I would easily choose the 940S. I haven't tried it with Blackburn leadpipes but I hear they improve the sound and intonation quite a bit.

Oh, the intonation on the 940S actually wasn't too bad. Once you sit down and tune it correctly, it plays very nicely!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZeroMan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the newer version of the 3916 takes a trumpet mouthpiece. The Getzen website also claims other facets of the design were tweaked for a better instrument. The new versions also have a copper bell.
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer version (3916) takes BOTH trumpet or cornet pieces. You have the option
of ordering the appropriate receivers (part ID XCS or XTS). The original version, the
G916, was part of the line of horns made for the Canadian Brass. Coincidentally,
there's a G916 up for bid on ebay right now that was owned by Jens Lindemann
(complete with documentation to that fact).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2371150326&category=16214

I have one of the G916's but have never had the opportunity to compare it to the
940 or 940S. It's a wonderful horn and highly recommend bidding on the ebay item.

Paul

[ This Message was edited by: trombapaul2 on 2004-01-05 23:56 ]
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful of that auction!! It totally looks like a scam to me-the pics from the auction and the Getzen site are the exact same, down to the shadow-save for the seller "ingeniously" rotated the picture counter-clockwise. I don't do ebay much (it's not a bad habit I can afford to start ), so would someone please be so kind as to report this to, or direct me to the proper place to report a scam?

That, or our infamous "lone ranger" can bid something like $10,000 for it, user name being "It's a Scam" again:)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to what I want to think ... I believe this guy is actually legit. I emailed him asking about the intonation of the horn and how the heck he got it from Jens ... he emailed me back and I got his name ... Ryan MacGavin. So I immediately did a search on ole google.com and came up with ...

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/4336/personal.html

.... and his story matched up verbatum. He says he is more in to the Business of Music Administration and does not use the horn much anymore. I think he has another Kanstul Pic though but he didn't say that. Just thought you guys should know.

He also said that the horn does play a little flatter than most piccolos.

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will hold off from bidding my $1,000,000 right now ... waiting for another Zeus scam though!
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as the other thread I bone-headedly started, my genuine apologies. I just thought the no feedback and website-picture were trouble. I should have done some checking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: