• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Strad Water Key Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HMHustead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All, I noticed that the Bach Strad's these days do not have the 3rd waterkey. I thought that they did. Am I crazy, or is this an option these days. Anybody who knows why they took them off, or the reason not to have one, please share your insight. Thanks
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge they never had them. I have a 1972 strad and it doesn't have a third slide water key.

The reasoning is to lesson the chance of disrupting the air flow.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you can get the water key on the third valve slide, but it has to be ordered that way. Most Strads that I've seen, even from the mid 80s, only had the slide at the end of the slide that you simply pulled and emptied. The Strad that I inherited from my sister when she hung it up, probably a 1983 or 84 Strad only had the Slide, but my friend Shawn, who got his roughly the same time, had both the first valve slide trigger and the third valve slide water key.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most decent repair shops will add one for you. I had a silver plated Amado put on my third slide...the guy did a great job; you could barely tell that it wasn't "factory".
DarnTootin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1968 Strad that only has the slide at the end. I bought a new Strad in 1998 with the water key on the third valve slide. I ordered it from The Brasswind. Bach makes them both ways. I believe the extra water key costs more. The Brasswind usually stocks both varieties. I've seen older ones on ebay with the water key on the third slide.
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard it said many times that the _only_ reason the #3 end slide doesn't have a w.key is purely economical, nothing at all to do with airflow or nodal points, etc.

The way it's set up really is not bad though. I can think of many manufacturers where their horns don't have a removable end slide. With the Bach, it's not hard to just pull it out and empty moisture. Also, for playing lower than F#, the end slide can be extended along with the #1 and 3 slides.

The removable end slide goes back to the very first Bachs. Supposedly V. Bach was quite frugal with some things and the cost of an additional w.key was too much to include as standard. Today's cost for the parts alone for a Bach w.key can top $40! (An Amado, on the other hand, less then $9!) I'm not at all surprised it still isn't considered a standard feature.

Dave M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: