• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blood Sugar and Trumpet playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Blood Sugar and Trumpet playing Reply with quote

I am a type II diabetic. I occasionally feel my Bg going low when I will have to be playing soon. I usually keep bard candy ( life savers for examples) near by but if I am going to play I don't want to be blowing sugar through my horn. If there anything out there to quickly combat a blood sugar crash without blowing sugar through my horn?
Bb Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chocolate
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want something to raise blood sugar level without taking sugar orally? Hmmm. Planning. You need to better plan your days so you are not going hypo…

Fix the problem do there is no need for a solution. Failing that, take the sugar onboard, then rinse out your mouth.

Cheers

Andy
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't ask, but to stabilize blood sugar and reverse/cure type II diabetes, a whole foods, plant-based diet will do it. Many will not do it, but those who do experience a complete remission. You can read the case histories in Joel Fuhrman's book, Eat To Live.

My apologies if this is not wanted, but it's been life changing for me!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do what your doctor says is best for your health and clean your horn a lot. Any reason why you can't rinse your mouth out with water? Also review the sticky about medical discussions at the top of the forum section.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Blood Sugar and Trumpet playing Reply with quote

Jerry Freedman wrote:
I am a type II diabetic. I occasionally feel my Bg going low when I will have to be playing soon. I usually keep bard candy ( life savers for examples) near by but if I am going to play I don't want to be blowing sugar through my horn. If there anything out there to quickly combat a blood sugar crash without blowing sugar through my horn?

Nope.

Just rinse out your horn after you play. You should do this anyway.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Blood Sugar and Trumpet playing Reply with quote

Jerry Freedman wrote:
... If there anything out there to quickly combat a blood sugar crash without blowing sugar through my horn?

-----------------------
Would drinking high-sugar soda be adequate? By drinking instead of chewing, the sugar would leave less 'mouth debris', and could be done in quick sips instead a longer chew.
But regardless, after the session, do a thorough rinsing of the horn with warm water.

Yes, most diabetics carry a small 'walking around emergency kit' of sugar sources, but for playing sessions, a larger kit that includes drinks could work.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Blood Sugar and Trumpet playing Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Jerry Freedman wrote:
... If there anything out there to quickly combat a blood sugar crash without blowing sugar through my horn?

-----------------------
Would drinking high-sugar soda be adequate? By drinking instead of chewing, the sugar would leave less 'mouth debris', and could be done in quick sips instead a longer chew.
But regardless, after the session, do a thorough rinsing of the horn with warm water.

Yes, most diabetics carry a small 'walking around emergency kit' of sugar sources, but for playing sessions, a larger kit that includes drinks could work.

Drinks are good (fruit juices better than sodas), but are a rapid up/rapid down sort of situation. A piece of hard candy (peppermint in my case) is always in the case, but it too is a temporary solution, which must be followed with a longer term solution, else the crash will reoccur.

I had a crash at the end of an all baroque concert that opened with Brandenburg and closed with the the Vivaldi, and I don't remember the 3rd movement of the Vivaldi at all...
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Buffalo42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: blood sugar and trumpet playing Reply with quote

glucose tablets for diabetics, been type 1 for 25 years, I use them whenever I feel a low or display a low on my CGM system. Works fast and easy to rinse out your mouth. Get them at any drug store.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: blood sugar and trumpet playing Reply with quote

Buffalo42 wrote:
glucose tablets for diabetics, been type 1 for 25 years, I use them whenever I feel a low or display a low on my CGM system. Works fast and easy to rinse out your mouth. Get them at any drug store.

dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: blood sugar and trumpet playing Reply with quote

Buffalo42 wrote:

Have never tried them. Thanks for the recommendation.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: