• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cardiovascular exercise - make a dif?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Cardiovascular exercise - make a dif? Reply with quote

Hello all,

So back in 2020, in the beginning of the year as Covid was secretly poking out his head, I had two massive strokes. The strokes sent be back quite a bit physically.

later that year, near the end of the year, I started playing trumpet. I have noticed that I get tired easy and lose my breath a lot. I am just now starting to get back to physical exercise. Has anyone noticed if having a regular routine of either jogging or some other type of cardio helps with the breathing.

I would think the answer is yes, but have met some really great players who just never exercise. So, just curious how much of a difference it makes.

Thanks in advance
~Arty
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good question. In addition to being a professional classical trumpeter, I am also a certified personal trainer, so I have a good background to speak on this. I have done a handful of marathons, Spartan races, CrossFit, and triathlon, and feel like I have some expertise here, even if being an athlete isn’t my first/primary job.

In short, not really. In your case specifically it might, because you are rebuilding neurological pathways associated with coordination of breathing/blowing muscles. But for an average person, it doesn’t help trumpeting in itself. Someone with a high VO2 max will not be more successful on the trumpet than someone with an average or even low VO2.

What does help is the discipline associated with physical exercise, body awareness/mapping, and coordination. Regular exercise also helps even out mood and temperament. There are a lot of good reasons for a trumpeter to want to exercise regularly, and I highly recommend it.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is personal, but it makes a difference to me but not how you think it would. When I'm in good shape, I'm more alert and have better stamina.

Now, I've been a musician for a long time, so I know how to compensate so that the end result, what comes out of the horn, is the same. But out of shape, I have to work harder and I'm more tired after a performance.

Regarding the air, it definitely makes a difference. Better shape, better wind capacity. But like I said, if I'm not presently running, swimming, doing Martial Arts, whatever I feel it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cardiovascular exercise - make a dif? Reply with quote

ecafdrib wrote:
... Has anyone noticed if having a regular routine of either jogging or some other type of cardio helps with the breathing. ...

-------------------------------
I have noticed that there is some noticeable physical exertion associated with playing (I usually get a little warmer). So yes, having a cardio/pulmonary system that is working well is important.

Your 'lifestyle' has a big influence on whether structured exercise is needed. Doing something as simple as 15-20 minutes a day of easy stretching can be helpful.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably not advise running. I'm guessing you're not a young man. I ran for 41 years and loved it. It took a toll on my hips and knees. I finally realized at 61 that it was time to stop and cross train more. Some other form of cardio like swimming, biking or the elliptical machine would be better. I use the bike and elliptical 6 days a week in addition to 4 days of weight training.
A bit of strength training would be a good thing as well.
Before trying any of this be sure to run it by your physician. Find a trainer if possible to get you started. Planet Fitness has trainers available as part of their membership.
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
I'm guessing you're not a young man.

I had the strokes at 43... so, younger than most stroke victims.. but feeling younger as time goes on.

I like the idea of the elliptical.

~Arty
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecafdrib wrote:
peanuts56 wrote:
I'm guessing you're not a young man.

I had the strokes at 43... so, younger than most stroke victims.. but feeling younger as time goes on.

I like the idea of the elliptical.

~Arty

Almost 66 so to me I guess you are a young man.
The elliptical is a godsend to me. I absolutely loved running but I would be looking at hip replacement if I continued. I do a fair amount of hiking when the weather is nice.
Glad you're on the mend. Happy Holidays.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andybharms wrote:
This is a good question. In addition to being a professional classical trumpeter, I am also a certified personal trainer, so I have a good background to speak on this. I have done a handful of marathons, Spartan races, CrossFit, and triathlon, and feel like I have some expertise here, even if being an athlete isn’t my first/primary job.

In short, not really. In your case specifically it might, because you are rebuilding neurological pathways associated with coordination of breathing/blowing muscles. But for an average person, it doesn’t help trumpeting in itself. Someone with a high VO2 max will not be more successful on the trumpet than someone with an average or even low VO2.

What does help is the discipline associated with physical exercise, body awareness/mapping, and coordination. Regular exercise also helps even out mood and temperament. There are a lot of good reasons for a trumpeter to want to exercise regularly, and I highly recommend it.

My experience reflects the above. During a 10 year period I was running DAILY, and doing triathlons, many 10k races and 13 full marathons. While there’s no doubt that cardiovascular fitness is a positive, for me it made absolutely no difference with regards to my trumpet playing.

Brad
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the local YMCA or other 'fitness center' to ask about 1-day free or fee access in order to see and try the various machines and facilities they offer.

Due to covid, now is probably a bad time for that, but hopefully things will be better by Spring.

Another type of exercise machine is a NordicTrack Ski machine.
They are often available free or very inexpensive on Craigslist ...
and that's because they do require concentration and coordination to use.
Many times they are bought because it looks 'fun & easy' - NO - they are not overly difficult or tiring, but it is exercise! Many of them quickly turn into clothes racks!

A simple at-home exercise is just using a low bench or stairway for 'step exercise'. Hold soup cans for extra upperbody conditioning.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Contact the local YMCA or other 'fitness center' to ask about 1-day free or fee access in order to see and try the various machines and facilities they offer.

Due to covid, now is probably a bad time for that, but hopefully things will be better by Spring.

Another type of exercise machine is a NordicTrack Ski machine.
They are often available free or very inexpensive on Craigslist ...
and that's because they do require concentration and coordination to use.
Many times they are bought because it looks 'fun & easy' - NO - they are not overly difficult or tiring, but it is exercise! Many of them quickly turn into clothes racks!

A simple at-home exercise is just using a low bench or stairway for 'step exercise'. Hold soup cans for extra upperbody conditioning.

Nordic Track is an excellent workout. We have one and mostly my wife uses it. For strength training rubber band kits are very good. They usually come with some sort of door attachment. I use them when traveling if I have no access to a gym. As far as chain gyms go I belong to Planet Fitness. They have 2 types of memberships. The basic is 10 bucks plus tax a month. You can only work out in the facility you got the membership from The black card option is $25 plus tax a month. With this membership you can work out in any PF facility. They're everywhere. Mid day they're usually not crowded and they're good about keeping the place clean. If something breaks down it's usually repaired in a day or two. Being retired I go when it's not busy to minimize the covid risk and I wear a mask.
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies everyone. I am checking out a gym right here near the house that has some good equip
ebolton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the very few topics on TH I feel qualified to opine on. Better physical fitness makes ALL Activities of Daily Life (ADLs as they call it) easier, and that includes playing a musical instrument. Things that are easier are always done better.
area51recording
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know.....I'm one of those guys who's weight has WILDLY fluctuated throughout my adult life (we're talking 50+ lb swings) I'm at a healthy weight now, and my bride has decided to make it her mission that I stay that way....where was I? Oh yeah....anyway, I can't really say that my playing, and the effort it takes, was essentially any different depending on which end of the yo yo I was perched on at the time. In fact, over the years I've studied with at least a couple of guys who looked like a flight of stairs taken at the wrong speed would be life threatening, who could STILL play their considerably rotund butts off.....
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home exercise devices are usually effective. Problem is, it's said that, after three months, 90% of machines become coat racks,

If you have a lot of self-discipline, great. Another incitive is to make exercise time sociable, i.e. working out at a health club, where socializing is a spin-off.

Just saying.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think exercise definitely makes a difference. When I was playing full time I got a lot of walking and running exercise and I had a lot of wind and could easly fill my Claude Gordon Selmer with all the air it needed.

Now I'm older and out of shape and don't get much exercise, especially after our dog died and I stopped walking every night. It has definitely affected my wind. I gave the CG Selmer to my son because I just can't fill it up any more. Long tones are especially hard--the Claude Gordon exercise of holding it until the stomach shakes usually doesn't happen--instead I start wheezing and choking after about ten seconds. Some of that is due to age, but a lot if just from being overweight and out of shape.

Guess it's time to get another dog.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Home exercise devices are usually effective. Problem is, it's said that, after three months, 90% of machines become coat racks,

If you have a lot of self-discipline, great. Another incitive is to make exercise time sociable, i.e. working out at a health club, where socializing is a spin-off.

Just saying.

Gyms are full of people who do very little working out and too much bullshitting or texting. One of my pet peeves.
I'm at the gym 6 days a week and the only time I usually speak is to say hello or goodbye to the person at the desk.
I get in, get right to work for 60-90 minutes and get on with the rest of my day. One guy who bs's all the time walked in 10-15 minutes after me one day and started talking to someone. An hour later when I left he was still talking. His jaws are in excellent shape I guess.
Bottom line, if you join a gym don't spend too much time flapping your gums.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are all kinds of reasons why an exercise program is less than it should be, but I know from personal experience, anything is better than nothing.

I have spent eons studying various systems of exercise or Martial Arts to the detriment of just picking one and making the most out pf it. (Kind'a like some people do with interne addiction vs. hitting the woodshed, LOL.).

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
There are all kinds of reasons why an exercise program is less than it should be, but I know from personal experience, anything is better than nothing.

I have spent eons studying various systems of exercise or Martial Arts to the detriment of just picking one and making the most out pf it. (Kind'a like some people do with interne addiction vs. hitting the woodshed, LOL.).

During the lockdown period when gyms were closed I did a lot of hiking and worked out on a bowflex I've had for years. I tended to hike very hilly trails. We have lots here in New England. I golf and walk instead of riding in a cart. The only time I rode this past year was while playing with a friend who was recovering from knee replacement. Some years ago I did go to a pull cart instead of carrying my bag. Turned 65 this year and moved up to the senior tees as well. What a difference!
Kehaulani is right saying anything is better than nothing. Just get out and move and you'll definitely feel better.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
Mele Kalikimaka Kehaulani! Malama Pono!
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: exercise Reply with quote

Keep yourself hydrated. I mountain bike or trail run almost daily, weather permitting. If I don't take the time to rehydrate myself after those workouts, my trumpet playing is absolutely terrible.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: exercise Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
Keep yourself hydrated. I mountain bike or trail run almost daily, weather permitting. If I don't take the time to rehydrate myself after those workouts, my trumpet playing is absolutely terrible.

Definitely hydrate even when not exercising. I've found that as I've aged I need to keep my electrolyte levels up as well. I did the Gatorade routine for a while but way too much sugar and calories. I use a powder that a chiropractic physician I go to sells. Only 20-30 calories on every 12 ounces I also use unflavored electrolyte solution in smoothies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: