• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 3C cnc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:33 am    Post subject: Bach 3C cnc Reply with quote

I often read about complaints about the Bach 3C mouthpiece. In particular to the fact that it would be "suffocating". I have several Bach 3C CNCs, but I don't find them stuffy at all. I find them excellent mouthpieces. Does anyone think like me?
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 3C cnc Reply with quote

annvill wrote:
Does anyone think like me?

Yes.

I don't play a Bach 3C these days, but I have several (including from the CNC era) and I have never encountered one that I would call stuffy.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
mograph
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 3C cnc Reply with quote

annvill wrote:
I often read about complaints about the Bach 3C mouthpiece. In particular to the fact that it would be "suffocating". I have several Bach 3C CNCs, but I don't find them stuffy at all. I find them excellent mouthpieces. Does anyone think like me?

Mouthpieces are a very personal thing. If it works for you, now, it works for you now.
Playing for fun since 1979.
Fmr member 48th Highlanders of Canada Mil Band
Into that jazz devil music
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had a few of the older (1980s) ones, and they are too shallow for my tastes. I believe they had the most shallow C cup that Bach made. Are the newer ones a bit deeper? I bought a Curry 3C. mouthpiece, which is slightly deeper than the Bach, in 1999 and sold my Bach 3C shortly afterward.
longtermparking

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same mouthpiece can interact very differently with two different faces/embouchures. And that's before you get into match with the horn, etc. If you like yours, I wouldn't worry about it.

The Bach 3C is about as middle-of-the-road as mouthpieces get, which makes them extremely popular. Probably only the 7C is more widely used worldwide. With something that common, you will necessarily see a lot of opinions about it both positive and negative, simply because most people have tried one.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for comparison, wrap your head in Saran wrap and see which is more "suffocating."
annvill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 3C cnc Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
annvill wrote:
Does anyone think like me?

Yes.

I don't play a Bach 3C these days, but I have several (including from the CNC era) and I have never encountered one that I would call stuffy.

The most used term is "suffocating".
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 3C cnc Reply with quote

annvill wrote:
Halflip wrote:

The most used term is "suffocating".

You yourself said (in your original post), "I have several Bach 3C CNCs, but I don't find them stuffy at all." I was just using one of the terms you used. Is that a problem? I'm not sure I understand the point of your reply.

If I don't find them stuffy, I'm pretty sure you can assume that I don't find them "suffocating".

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some decades ago I played a Bach 3C and liked it well enough. That was until I played a 1.5C and found I liked that sound even better.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Some decades ago I played a Bach 3C and liked it well enough. That was until I played a 1.5C and found I liked that sound even better.

Yes, the 1-1/2C gives a much nicer tone, and unless you’re playing a lot of above the staff stuff, isn’t really much more demanding than playing a 3C, at least in my experience.
CaptPat

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too used a 3C for a while and moved to a 1 1/2C for the sound I was able to produce. Never thought the 3C was suffocating.
I play trumpet because I like it, not because I'm good at it.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much more likely the multitude of 180-37s on the back end of the 3C that are stuffy.

That being said, I've recently plugged a Pickett YA3 into my 180-37 and it's a very nice match.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: