• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for an upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Looking for an upgrade Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been playing a TR430 from Jean Paul now for about 7 months and am looking to step things up and get a nice used intermediate-type horn. I was thinking the Yamaha YTR-2330 or something similar.

I was wondering if anyone in this great forum has any recommendations. I would like to keep the price reasonable, like between 400-700, I have found many Yamahas within that price range, of course they were all used.

Thanks in advance
~Arty
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find one in your price range, the Yamaha 5335G is a solid step up. They would be towards the top of your budget up to about $1k or so.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen Capri

You might want to read this Capri vs. Yamaha thread.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1301660

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone is selling a YTR-2330 near my house for $300 cash. It looks like it is actually in good shape.. thinking about going to see it... that price is too good to pass up
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely see folks on here recommend intermediate horns. You might do better to save longer and try to find a used pro horn for ~$1000-1200.

Personally, I could see a player sticking with a 2000-series Yamaha for several years before needing anything else. I can't commend on the JP horn since I've never played one, though I'm skeptical of a horn that new retails for under $400.

Now that I think of it, why not call Austin and see if they have a new or used horn? Lots of people say they have gotten good recommendations from them.
https://www.austincustombrass.biz/
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether the Y-2330 would be an actual improvement can only be determined by actually trying the horn.

If your current TR-430 is working properly, and doesn't have any identifiable faults (e.g. sticky valves, bad sounding notes, stuck slides, etc.), then from a 'money' and 'value' perspective, you would do better to hold-off on buying a 'student model' (which the 2330 is considered).

When you do test other horns, an important criteria is that the 1st and 3rd valve slides should be easy to move and adjust with the finger ring / hook.

When you have determined that playing trumpet is something that you WILL continue for a long time, then moving to a 'pro model' would be warranted.

But ... a Y-2330 that is in good condition for $300 is a good, but not 'fantastic' value.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Whether the Y-2330 would be an actual improvement can only be determined by actually trying the horn.

If your current TR-430 is working properly, and doesn't have any identifiable faults (e.g. sticky valves, bad sounding notes, stuck slides, etc.), then from a 'money' and 'value' perspective, you would do better to hold-off on buying a 'student model' (which the 2330 is considered).

When you do test other horns, an important criteria is that the 1st and 3rd valve slides should be easy to move and adjust with the finger ring / hook.

When you have determined that playing trumpet is something that you WILL continue for a long time, then moving to a 'pro model' would be warranted.

Yes, that is good advise. I go up and down with the trumpet. I play guitar for a few days more than the trumpet and think that the guitar is my focus. But the more I play the trumpet and see how expressive it is, the more I want to improve.

I think you make a good point, why have two student trumpets. I am looking for used ones now on the ACB webiste
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: