• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Bach Sound

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agroovin48

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: The Bach Sound Reply with quote

There was a very interesting link on the forum discussion about the current Yamaha Xeno trumpet that went into the history of the development of that trumpet in it's various configurations. In the article it was disclosed that even though Reynold Schilke had been a major contributor to the development of the Yamaha trumpet, another influence interjected itself. That influence, I surmise, is the Bach influence since it was never named specifically.

I have two Yamaha trumpets that I love dearly. One is an early Xeno II RGS that was a special order, as the RGS was not a catalogued item at the time. The other is a Yamaha 8310Z. I love the sound of them both and have a hard time discerning which I like better. Then I also have a Bach LR19043B Mariachi.

Take note. My first good trumpet on my first come back at age 29 in 1977 was a Bach S18043. It was a fantastic trumpet and I can still hear the sound of it in my mind's ear. This current LR19043B is a different animal, but somewhere in it's soul it still presents me with that visceral Bach sound. Neither of the Yamaha's possess the ability to make this sound. It is something very subtle, very mesmerizing and very hard to describe. Maybe something like a cat's purring in the sound. Am I crazy or is this a real thing? How is it that Bach has this, and to my knowledge, none other?

Alan Cahill

1933 Conn Victor 80A Cornet
King Legend 2070
Adams A1V2
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well made and playable as Yamaha trumpets are I could never get either the sound. Certainly Bach has a sound and it's in everyone of their horns. It's a beautiful thing a Chameleon with many colors. Not to say other horns arent good horns with good sounds. I just bought an Edwards X13 best horn I've ever played and I love t hr e sound. But i love the Bach sound.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you're not crazy, to me it's like guitars. Despite the variety of amps, strings, pedals, picks, and effects processors, and custom pickups, there is still a big difference in sound between a Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. There are differences between a Fender Mustang, Jaguar, Telecaster, and Stratocaster, but there is still sort of a Fender sound that is different from a Gibson. I think of Bach as being a Fender of the trumpet world. Fender Strats are notoriously finnicky with noisiness and intonation, not right for every scenario, and you can definitely design a more perfect guitar, but they have a special sound. Bachs the same. I play a horn that to me is a bit more efficient, precise, and less idiosyncratic, but cannot replicate the sound of a Bach. You need a Bach to sound like a Bach.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jaw04

That's an analogy I can understand. So, going with it - your analogy that is, which trumpet type would be your Les Paul, or better still, Gibson ES?
agroovin48

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the guitar references. They do resonate, pun intended, but let's get back to the Bach. I know there are many reference points. I had a Guild D55 that I preferred to a Gibson or a Martin and a Lowden F35 that beat them all, but this is a trumpet forum. Thanks again, it is so easy to stray when talking about the things we love and value the most.

Alan Cahill

1933 Conn Victor 80A Cornet
King Legend 2070
Adams A1V2
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bach Sound Reply with quote

agroovin48 wrote:
It is something very subtle, very mesmerizing and very hard to describe. Maybe something like a cat's purring in the sound. Am I crazy or is this a real thing? How is it that Bach has this, and to my knowledge, none other?

This is like asking a bunch of people about religion and god.

The believes will agree with you. The followers of another religion will think that [a different horn] has "the" sound. And another group of atheists will think it's all in the player. I suppose agnostics aren't sure.

Count me in one of the latter camps.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agroovin48 wrote:
Thanks for the guitar references. They do resonate, pun intended, but let's get back to the Bach. I know there are many reference points. I had a Guild D55 that I preferred to a Gibson or a Martin and a Lowden F35 that beat them all, but this is a trumpet forum. Thanks again, it is so easy to stray when talking about the things we love and value the most.

I think by now we're all pretty much aware it's a trumpet forum.

The analogy is good. It's always helpful - yes, really - to provide analogies for the purposes of clarification and or enlightenment. Unless you'd rather compare cats purring?
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been much discussion by many people with credentials that seem to qualify them as experts regarding intrinsic sound profiles over many trumpet brands and models that are easy to identify but apparently not so easy to explain. I am not qualified regarding any of that.

The horns that I use on a regular basis are examples of Benge, Bach, and Yamaha. All have characteristics that appeal to me in ways that I can hear but can't explain. I utilize all of them because of those characteristics and each one presents something that the others don't. But even with that I still manage to sound, well, like me. Bottom line, at least from my viewpoint, is vive la difference or long live difference.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bach Sound Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
agroovin48 wrote:
It is something very subtle, very mesmerizing and very hard to describe. Maybe something like a cat's purring in the sound. Am I crazy or is this a real thing? How is it that Bach has this, and to my knowledge, none other?

The believes will agree with you. The followers of another religion will think that [a different horn] has "the" sound. And another group of atheists will think it's all in the player. I suppose agnostics aren't sure.

Not to put a damper on the discussion, I believe I could have predicted which camp you are in prior to you joining the discussion.

I also can probably guess many other member’s positions.

Personally, I am sure I come off as a Bach apologist occasionally, but for me I don’t identify a “Bach sound” with Bach trumpets. I have had no issue blending with many different brands and models over my fifty years of playing.

But there players with high credentials that talk about the Bach sound, so the lack of perception might just be me.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: The Bach sound... Reply with quote

That is the great thing about any horn someone keeps and performs on, when they find that sound that they love or other qualities that they like in the horn's performance. I do believe in that "Bach" mystique. I also believe that Benge had its mystique and its followers. Same with Schilke. I used to play in a municipal band and for a few years this young lady who served as a Lutheran minister in the area played with band. She was a dedicated Bach gal and she had a wonderful sound when she played. The first time we switched horns for a couple selections in rehearsal when she was done she just said, "wow," that's different. Well, the Benge was maybe a little lighter and open, but similar to her 37. And that first time she played it she felt the difference. I also thought her horn "had that Bach sound." And that is worth it. I think Yamahas are wonderful and well made. I agree with the person who commented that they had 3 or 4 horns and had uses for them all. Golfers talk about that, saying there are "different horses for different courses."
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Bach Sound Reply with quote

agroovin48 wrote:

Crazy Finn wrote:

LittleRusty wrote:
Not to put a damper on the discussion, I believe I could have predicted which camp you are in prior to you joining the discussion.

I also can probably guess many other member’s positions.

Personally, I am sure I come off as a Bach apologist occasionally, but for me I don’t identify a “Bach sound” with Bach trumpets. I have had no issue blending with many different brands and models over my fifty years of playing.

But there players with high credentials that talk about the Bach sound, so the lack of perception might just be me.

Yeah, I'm pretty predicable that way.

To be clear, I don't really dislike Bach trumpets or the "Bach sound" whether it exists or not. I just don't like how some of them play and prefer others. I also think that other valid choices for professional trumpets exist. That's about it. Other people love them, and sound great on them, that's fine.

I have no problem blending with Bach using any of the instruments I play regularly.

Back in the day, years ago, when I was playing semi-professionally more regularly, a few of my brass colleagues who were Bach guys - guys that were tenured players in regional orchestras and/or college profs - had me try some Bach trumpets that they thought were quite good. I obliged, because I am always game for trying stuff. So, I played the Bach (37), another Bach (37), and a third Bach (maybe a 43), and my Yamaha. The listeners commented on my sound blindly and universally agreed that a certain horn had the best sound.

.... which was my Yamaha.

(I swear I didn't rig it, because back then I was actually fairly open to getting a different horn, maybe a Bach if I liked it - my Yamaha was having some valve issues back then)

Cheers.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in general, Bach instruments sound the best.

But... I also think that Doc Severinsen sounds the best. And he has been able to produce his incredible sound on instruments other than Bach (although most have had some Bach characteristics).

Interesting, innit?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
I think in general, Bach instruments sound the best.

But... I also think that Doc Severinsen sounds the best. And he has been able to produce his incredible sound on instruments other than Bach (although most have had some Bach characteristics).

Interesting, innit?

There's the rumor that Doc's Getzen actually had a Bach bell on it.....
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
SterlingBell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played and owned Bach trumpets and cornets since 1968. Their sound and type of slotting fits me. That said, I played a Jupiter 1600i Roger Ingram trumpet and had to have it. It was so different from any of my Bach trumpets. It’s very precise in articulation and slotting, very direct in response. It almost plays itself. The only problem, it doesn’t have a warm sound that I can coax out of it. It’s a nice addition to my collection if I can figure out where to use it!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well be just in my style of playing, but that sound for me is the two Selmers I own.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEHGxpRoZQM&ab_channel=GertvanHoef
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Bach sound always makes me cry.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Smith on his Bach. Very likely his off the shelf 37. Even if it is on his C, that's a 229 Bach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37VY289QINI
This is absolutely as beautiful a sound as you will ever hear from anybody with any horn.

R. Tomasek
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the sound that Phil Smith, or insert your favorite Bach playing superstar, plays the reason for his sound? If so, does this mean that every Bach has that sound?

I don’t see a obvious connection myself.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the right hands Bachs do have a particular sound. This is the sound Mr. Smith wanted and Bach made it possible for him to achieve it.
Vincent Bach was a genius and knew exactly what sound could and should come out of the bell and designed his bells and horns to make those sounds possible. His instruments are the most copied ever for a reason.
If you are a poor player, you will get a lousy sound out of every horn you play. A Bach isn't going to fix that.
Here is a reasonably accurate list of players and their horn combinations.
Quite a few on Bachs.
http://www.ojtrumpet.net/playerhorn/
R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: