• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Where the "Wild Things" are.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Where the "Wild Things" are. Reply with quote

Hey, guys,

I've been invited to go down to Oceanside and visit Flip Oaks' operation. I'm bringing my Benge and the Wilmington with me.

What should I expect to find when I get there? What is Flip like, those of you who know him? What is the Wild Thing like? The Celebration?

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

I've had a few very nice conversations over the phone with Flip, both of which were nearly an hour. He's a good guy with an amazing wealth of knowledge on all things trumpet and flugel.

Ask him to show you the pictures of Arturo when he went to visit him in FL, specifically, WHERE the piano came from.

That's all I'll say.....

-Dave

P.S. (I'll be very interested in your opinions of Flip's horns vs. your Benge and the Wilmington)

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Brian, you're pretty familiar w/ a lot of Kanstul horns. Tme to try another, and do loet us know what you think!

Oh, and do NOT try to "fill" the WT.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have spoken with him on the phone he was very personable. I am very pleased to have dealt with him in my purchase.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
When I have spoken with him on the phone he was very personable. I am very pleased to have dealt with him in my purchase.

Shaft,

Why did you buy the Wild Thing? What do you like about it? What don't you like?

Brian

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, I had a lesson with Pops about 6 or 7 years ago and I tried his. Immediately I noticed something in my sound that never sounded or felt that way before. I decided to take a small loan out and buy one for the price of some peoples' phone bill.

Some of the things that I noticed were these. It gave me the sound, resonance, projection, slotting, ability to change color, dynamic range, flexibility, and response, that quite frankly ever since has never made me even think about wanting anything else.

The last year I was at college I was starting to scare some people with what was coming out of my horn. Even Leonard Candelaria had some good things to say to my instructor during a master class after hearing me for only 5 minutes. This was 4 years ago. Since then I have heard my horn get called "The Rocket", and a pianist I played with said I had the sound of a laser.

Some of it may be from learning to play from Pops, and I use a 70m curry for big band and a 1c for legit playing. It is a gold plated Wild Thing which Flip says gives it even more character with the sound.

I can not out play this horn! It handles soft like a whisper. It fills and can bury a wind ensemble and a hall without distortion. For me from a physical standpoint I don't have to fight with it and it's response like I said is instant and with ease.

I will say that there was an adjustment period and a couple of different slide options. I play on the #1 slide all of the time now.

Hopefully that gives you some insight.
Enjoy Sunny Ca.!
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have a good time. Flip is a really nice guy. I made a visit a few years ago, with my WT in tow. Just hung out for a while and Flip told me some things about the horns.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brian,

Do Flip and all of us a favor and give us a detailed post of your experience with him.

I came close to getting a WT cornet earlier this year, or so I thought. I still am hankering to check one out, so I look forward to your sharing with us.

veery
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: WT Reply with quote

Hi Brian:

I sent you a pm. Call me and I can fill you in about the couple of times my son and I visited Flip.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Do take good notes and plan on filling us all in with a long detailed report! I absolutely love your reviews! This will likely be the closet I ever get to Flip Oaks short of maybe buying something from him at some point! Ask good questions!!!LOL Have fun!
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and Flip spent like 3 hours shootin' rabbits and gophers out back with cousin Earl. Great guy, and his taste in cream cheese sandwiches is superb.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Me and Flip spent like 3 hours shootin' rabbits and gophers out back with cousin Earl. Great guy, and his taste in cream cheese sandwiches is superb.

Wassup, Scorp??

You hittin' the Ultra Pure again?

Love ya, Man,

Brian

Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is a cream cheese sandwhich?
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
What exactly is a cream cheese sandwhich?

I believe it could be defined as:

two slices of bread with a moderate amount of cream cheese "sandwiched" in-between. Thus making a sandwich, with cream cheese. Although I suppose one could subsitute crackers, cookies, or some other starchy medium, but bread is usually the standard.

I figured my first statement was straight forward enough. Perhaps I should have made a long convoluted statement in which I contradict myself, and make numerous outrageous claims about gear, repair equiptment, several well known (and respected) manufacturers, and aftermarket parts makers/repair techs.
healey.cj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by healey.cj on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

healey.cj wrote:
Quote:
Hopefully that gives you some insight.

Oh dear God, I want one!!!

Out of curiosity can anyone mention how the Celebration compares with the Wild Thing?

I'll hopefully be able to play them both and report.

Brian

arttrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: wild thing Reply with quote

HELLO EVERY BODY !!!!!
I'M IN LOVE WITH THE WILD-THING !!!,I ENJOY SO MUCH PLAYING IT EVERY DAY
AND FLIP IS ONE OF THE NICEST AND SINCERE PERSON THAT I EVER MET.
IT'S A PRIVILEGE FOR ME TO KNOW FLIP AND ENJOY HIS FRIENDSHIP.
ALL THE BEST
Arturo Sandoval.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: wild thing Reply with quote

arttrumpet wrote:
HELLO EVERY BODY !!!!!
I'M IN LOVE WITH THE WILD-THING !!!,I ENJOY SO MUCH PLAYING IT EVERY DAY
AND FLIP IS ONE OF THE NICEST AND SINCERE PERSON THAT I EVER MET.
IT'S A PRIVILEGE FOR ME TO KNOW FLIP AND ENJOY HIS FRIENDSHIP.
ALL THE BEST
Arturo Sandoval.

Who-o-oa! Too cool.

Welcome, Arturo! I'm honored to have you on my thread.

Brian

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two things truly incredible about Flip and his horns . . .

1. Flip, and

2. His Horns!

Being so limited in production, most people who PLAY the trumpet don't ever get to experience playing one. Many times, those of us who DO get that chance are totally blown away.

My chance encounter was stumbling upon a Wild Thing Bb trumpet in early 2001. I'd never thought I'd find a better Strad than my custom one with an original Pilczuk leadpipe . . . but just as soon as I put the Wild Thing to my lips I went WOW . . . this horn is ME! I just HAD to have it.

Arturo Sandoval's chance encounter also caused him to have the same reaction . . . after yet another enthusiastic Flip Oakes trumpet owner hooked him up one night with Flip.

A 61 year-old friend (and truly FINE trumpet playing associate of mine) experienced the same reaction when I had him test a new trumpet (the Celebration) that Flip had sent me to evaluate just before releasing it.

I was so impressed that I was planning to buy that horn . . . but my friend REFUSED to give it back. He said, "buy your own, this one's MINE," and added it was the best trumpet by far he'd ever played. Thus I had to order another one for myself!

I saw that friend this weekend and he brought up just how exciting it was to play such an incredible trumpet, and what a joy it was to take it out to practice. I understood completely what he was saying. The horns are that good!

I wonder just how many more folks out there would react the same . . . IF they ever got a chance to play one.

Shofarguy, you will soon also experience the MAN, Flip Oakes. He's one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and a hoss of a trumpet player too. Best of all, he won't try to SELL you anything (he hates sales hype and wants folks to make choices that are totally right for them! REFRESHING!!!

Enjoy a day that will remain memorable for years to come!

Tom
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip is a very special person, and his horns are very special horns. i find there is a period of adjustment, which is cool, things shouldn't come too easy and music can be a bear with the subtlety of really hearing things. that came out wrong, maybe i'm just dense and things take me longer to figure out. sound is sound, yet it ain't that simple.
when you pay flip, and get a horn, you are getting the better of the transaction. that's the way i feel.
what i would really like to know is how he figured out what he figured out about instrument making. it's not right and it's not natural and nobody does things that way. it's like the initial 'what?' of someone coming up with the theory of relativity equation.
i'm leaving the thing to be the mystery it should be...chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: