• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 14a4a

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
big_trumpet09
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Schilke 14a4a Reply with quote

I recently tried this mouthpiece. I took it and put it into the horn and without any effort whatsoever, i hit a G above high C. I find this mouthpiece to be very inappropriate.

What are your aspects on this mouthpiece??
Gerhard Baier Heavyweight
mpcs: Benge 3, benge 5B, B&S 1 1/2C, Bach 3C, bach 5C, Bach 7C
cmcdougall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will love it through the honeymoon period, but it is a poor choice for most people in the long run.

Pieces: Monette PRANA 1-5M S3.
Bill Scott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hit a G above high C, then what is inappropriate about the mouthpiece? Do you know what a non-sequitur is?

For what it's worth, the Schilke 14A4A is the mouthpiece I use when playing a cornet. I've used this size for years and I've never had a problem with sound or range. But, if it doesn't work for you, don't use it!
There are two sides to a Trumpeter's personality: There is the one that lives only to lay waste to the woodwinds and strings, leaving them lying blue and lifeless along the swath of destruction that is a trumpeter's fury. Then there's the Dark Side"
MontyPythn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 14A4A is the spawn of satan. I've seen trumpet players ruined on them. They take so much away from your sound and give a little upper register brightness and endurance that can be achieved with some faster air. I gave mine away when I came to my senses.
Jocker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works for you then go for it. Mouthpiece won't make your sound you do. I used 14A4a about month. Great upper register but didn't like it for all-round work.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are talking about the effects of equipment on sound, then I can think of no bigger effect on sound than the mouthpiece.

From the experiences I have had personally, the horn I was playing at any given moment was by FAR less important than the mouthpiece I was using at that moment.

The only difference of significance in horns I have experienced has been the difference between student and professional line. Example, an entry level Bach (the TR300?) vs a Bach Strad. Otherwise, horns are more alike than different. But, mouthpieces are more different than alike.

A Schilke A4a is a mouthpiece designed for a specialized purpose. I do not consider it a useful mouthpiece for what might be called "general" or "all around" playing. It has a shallow cup, flat rim, and tight backbore. This is a special purpose design.

What are you trying to accomplish with a mouthpiece? My recommendation is always a middle of the road, general purpose mouthpiece that works well in just about any and all playing situations. That kind of mouthpiece will also tend to provide the optimum characteristics for facilitating all aspects of a player's skills and tone. The most important aspect of a trumpet player's skills is TONE. Choose the mouthpiece that gives you the best tone, and proper control and functioning of the embouchure. Then with that mouthpiece, work to develop other basic skills.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Schilke 14A4a and it has been my standby rock band mouthpiece for about 3 and a half years. There are some things about it that I don't like regarding it's sound (I have a 14A4 on order at the moment) but overall it has proven to be a fairly comfortable mouthpiece that allows me to pound out high, loud, semi-upper register stuff for 3 sets and still have some chops at the end of the night.

Different strokes for different folks I guess, but it has been a decent mouthpiece for me. I'm not going to look at the brand and the size and scoff - I'm going to put it to my chops and if it works, it's ok in my book.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I own a Schilke 14A4a and it has been my standby rock band mouthpiece for about 3 and a half years. There are some things about it that I don't like regarding it's sound (I have a 14A4 on order at the moment) but overall it has proven to be a fairly comfortable mouthpiece that allows me to pound out high, loud, semi-upper register stuff for 3 sets and still have some chops at the end of the night.

This would be an example of what I would mean in my above post about a specialized playing purpose. High, loud; rock band context...
icebraker613
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use my 14a41 strictly for lead jazz trumpet playing and a ska band im in. as long as you still work in the high register on your "legit" mouthpiece, i dont see the problem in using this mouthpiece.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:
trickg wrote:

This would be an example of what I would mean in my above post about a specialized playing purpose. High, loud; rock band context...

Right, I totally agree with you Dave. I guess I just assumed that it is fairly well known that a Schilke 14A4a is a specialized mouthpiece that is designed with the purpose of creating a bright, brilliant (edgy, brittle?) sound, and assisting with upper register and endurance. Of course the very first time I tried a 14A4a, my lips bottomed out in the cup, effectively cutting off any buzz. At first I couldn't use it at all and it was only years later, after having played a lot more and having changed the way I play that I was able to use this mouthpiece at all.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I alternate between a BACH 3-C and a Schilke 13A4A (NOT a 14A4A)

Is there much of a difference between these two Schilke mps?
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

13A4a and 14A4a feel very different on the lips. The rim surface of the 13 is flatter than the 14 (more rounded.)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is easier to hit the upper register?

The 13A4A or the 14 A4A.
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a 13A4a for years while in college - mostly big band lead work and rock. Its was a real screamer. A speciality mpc for sure.
Olds Super, 1964 w/ C.M. Purviance 5*K4
Marcinkiewicz: E8.4 Shew 1.75
Schilke Flugel; Kanstul Flugel
Kanstul Valve Bone
Surfboard quiver: 15
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicmork wrote:
Which is easier to hit the upper register?

The 13A4A or the 14 A4A.

The one that feels the best to your chops so you can practice a lot!
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own, if it works for you ,,keep it if doesn't you can mail it to myself. It could be a tool for a certain job.
Wheeler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a dumb thread. We've (you've) been over and over the pros/cons of the 14A4a time and time again. It worked for Forest Buchtel, but most around here don't seem to think much of it. Including me if that helps. If you go to the next page of forum topics, there is a huge thread on this MPC.

The original query doesn't make any sense to me despite reading it 8-10 times... It's a mouthpiece. Play it or sell it.
Wheeler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... The thread is on pg 5.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To an experienced player that has been around the block a time or two, I agree that this might seem like a pretty dumb thread, but when you are an advancing high school player, there is a lot of shrouded mystery where mouthpieces are concerned, specifically mouthpieces designed with lead, upper register playing in mind.

I like the 14A4a with the exception that the sound is a bit on the brittle side and doesn't have as much core as I would like. However, given the fact that I am playing in a miked, amplified situation, I don't worry about that as much as I worry about how it plays for me, and in that regard, the 14A4a has worked pretty well for me since I was about 27, although I have to say that when I was in high school, it would have made a better paper weight than a mouthpiece.

Having said all of that, I offer this advice to the younger, less experienced players wondering about this mouthpiece: don't spend money, spend time. If you have a "standard" mouthpiece that you are currently using, (7C, 5C, 3C, etc) get in the practice room and focus on your playing and your chops because you are still developing those and at this stage, the money for a specialty mouthpiece would probably be wasted. For me, I have never gained any range with a mouthpiece. The mouthpiece will make what I have a bit easier and maybe make the sound more appropriate for the playing situation, but other than adding some ease to the upper register, and maybe a bit of endurance, a shallow mouthpiece does nothing else for me.
- ACB Doubler

badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,
Did you get the 14A4? How does it compare to the 14A4a. I've been thinking about getting a 14A4?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: