• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is Schilke any different these days?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In speaking with a fellow trumpet player about looking for a trumpet that was perhaps lighter, larger, and less resistant than my current Bb I mentioned Schilke. I thought they would be a good place to start. Although I realized he was a Conn performing artist I did find it interesting when he reminded me that the Schilke family no longer owns the Schilke company. I belive it's Andrew Naumann who owns and is responsible for production of the current product line.

Any there and thoughts, concerns, or comments about this? Is the current Schilke company still producing instruments that are as good as before? Better? Worse? If I don't like a new Schilke should I look into a vintage one or are they basically fairly consistent?
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, the only change at Schilke has been the ownership, and the Schilke family wouldn't have sold to just anyone!

Still the same plant near OHare Airport, still the same craftsmen, still the same quality. A good contact is:
Phil Baughman
Sales Manager
Schilke Music Products, Inc.
ph: +708-343-8858
fax: +708-343-8912
http://www.SchilkeMusic.com

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're either looking for a Schilke (B1, X3 or S?) OR a Selmer Paris Concept TT. Really! I suppose that the V1 could fall into this group IF you get it with the large #50, reverse leadpipe.

Compared to all the horns you've listed as your current trumpets, all those I've suggested will work better for you with a mpc with a tighter cup/throat/backbore, generally. One step tighter (like an MS) will usually do the trick. (If you play lead, you'll want an S).

You know that I prefer the Selmer when you see my signature. Just remember, I tried all those other horns first, plus many custom horns and every conceivable Kanstul, Bach, Yamaha, etc. The SP construction quality and resonance stands up to any comparison. Trouble is, they're very hard to find. (BTW, at one time I played basically the same Yamahas as you).

If you can't find a TT, or don't like it, then I think that B1 or X3 is the horn that fit the description you give.

If you're willing to change your blow and work on precision in you playing, using only the right amount of effort, then a 6310Z or 8310Z could be a great horn for you. It'll work with your current mouthpiece(s), but it'll require that you back off and play with just the right air volume and lip involvement. Played properly, a Z can play with the Schilkes and V1, played improperly you'll be very frustrated. (IMHO, it cannot come close to the TT, but maybe the 8310Z will close that gap).

Happy hunting,

Dave
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the Schilke customer service to be the best. You can call the factory and speak with Phil about any problem or question regarding the performance of your Schilke.
He also will provide you with information on which Schilke you may want to buy. He has always been very prompt about returning phone calls. In my opinion the Schilke is the same if not better. I would not be afraid of purchasing another Schilke.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Baughman is a very knowlegable and cordial sales manager at Schilke. Do not hesitate to look into Schilke Music Products.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...what they ^ said. Don't forget to read SchilkeLoyalist website by Jim Donaldson as well.
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke impresses me more now than they have in the past. If Schilke is the horn you're looking for, I think you will find they are being made as good as ever if not better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: