• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chet Committee to Benge conversion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject: Chet Committee to Benge conversion Reply with quote

Thinking out loud. This is purely rhetorical so feel free to pass on by.

What adjustment in equipment (tuning slide, mouthpiece, etc.) would you make to a Benge 3X to strive for a Chet Baker-ish sound? Or would someone just wind up with a Frankenhorn that just can't do the trick?

I have a Committee which, for sure, is the true pathway. But I'm not sure I do enough playing anymore to justify having two trumpets, and I'm not a collector. And rankly, I've just never seen what the big deal about Committees is. This is my fourth.

I've had good luck with a MK/Drawing tuning slide on a Bach Commercial and one on a Yamaha Shew but somehow, I think this might be square pegging a round hole. Any thoughts?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Chet Committee to Benge conversion Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

What adjustment in equipment (tuning slide, mouthpiece, etc.) would you make to a Benge 3X to strive for a Chet Baker-ish sound? Or would someone just wind up with a Frankenhorn that just can't do the trick?

I have a Committee which, for sure, is the true pathway. But I'm not sure I do enough playing anymore to justify having two trumpets, and I'm not a collector. And rankly, I've just never seen what the big deal about Committees is. This is my fourth.

I've had good luck with a MK/Drawing tuning slide on a Bach Commercial and one on a Yamaha Shew but somehow, I think this might be square pegging a round hole. Any thoughts?

-First thing that comes to mind is to get a Committee-like bell installed on your Benge. A lot of the Committee sound is due to the larger conical bell.

-The second thing might be the leadpipe of the Committee, this may also help.

-Third thing would be sound concept, just try to play like Chet and maybe you will sound close to him in your Benge, playing with the mouthpiece model he played can also help a teeny little, I think Chet played a Bach 6B size mouthpiece.

Last edited by SilverSpunk on Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani, you must have too much time on your hands to come up with such twisted ideas! (Just kidding )

Actually, everyone says Chet managed to "sound like Chet" no matter what horn he played (Committee, Conn 38B, student Buescher, Bach), so . . . maybe you can save yourself some money? Or maybe just buy yourself a Bach 6B or 6C mouthpiece (I guess maybe Chet tried a Bach 10 1/2C for a while, too).

All in fun, all in fun.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Chet Committee to Benge conversion Reply with quote

SilverSpunk wrote:

-First thing that comes to mind is to get a Committee-like bell installed on your Benge. A lot of the Committee sound is due to the larger conical bell.

Then get yourself a Committee valve block and tuning slides, and you're all set!

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Chet Committee to Benge conversion Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
SilverSpunk wrote:

Then get yourself a Committee valve block and tuning slides, and you're all set!

Last step would be to try and surgically alter your lips and jaw structure to be like his.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mental concept of the sound and mouthpiece choice.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Chet Committee to Benge conversion Reply with quote

SilverSpunk wrote:
Last step would be to try and surgically alter your lips and jaw structure to be like his.

In a pinch, you could have your teeth pulled and wear dentures . . . or learn to play without teeth. That way you'll get that singular 'airy' quality and attack that Chet had on some of his later European recordings.

Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani - While I am not familiar with the Benge horn receivers/gaps, I do know that my Committee’s receive gap is HUGE. The receiver depth is 1.954” and my average gap of my 21 mouthpieces is 0.941”. My two Martin mouthpieces (7 & 10) have gaps of 1.052” and 0.954” respectively. I can achieve that Committee smokey/slippery sound on both the Martin mouthpieces. These Martin mouthpieces seem to match up well with my Committee horn.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote an article that began by describing the Martin Committee mystique. It was pretty polarizing, which was kind of the point of writing it. I remember my first exposure to a Committee. It was a medium bore version owned by our own Ed Mann. I was excoriated for writing that it didn't seem too different from my Benge 5X.

It was different, though. Just not as much as I thought it would be, in magnitude. It was in the subtleties, mostly. Those differences add up, though. I gave up trying to make it sound like a Martin and just made the Benge better at being a Benge.

Here are the things I tried. Some of them worked better than others.

1) Mouthpiece - At that time, I could try various Kanstul modular components for a week or two and return them, if I didn't want them. I tried the #3, #7 and #24 back bores. I thought the #7 was the best combination of rich tone, muted brilliance and "lyrical" slotting. Eventually, I bought a B3C Woody cup, because the wood was cool looking and was supposed to deaden a bit of that brilliance.

2) Valve clearances - Mine were really loose! It made the slotting ("Slotting!!?? We don't need no stinking slotting!) um..., sloppy. That was fine, until the valves got hopelessly sticky. Rebuilding them restored their action to a higher level than any piston instrument I've ever played, but tightened up said slotting to near Bach levels. Not bad, but not really Chet.

3) Bell - The #5 bell is the largest Benge bell. Nothing to do there, except find an old Martin or Holton 302 bell and hope for the best.

4) Slides - I hand picked a set of NOS large bore Benge slides and had them finished and plated by Kanstul. This probably did more to expand and darken the timbre of the horn than any other single thing. I tried to find a set of 4 slides that worked well together and gave the horn a homogenous timbre, but Flip Oakes felt that the horn no longer played evenly across its range.

5) Play a Wild Thing - All you old-timers have read the multitude of posts about my Wild Thing experiences. Can it do the Chet Thing? Probably, but not with me playing.

6) Play a 1603 or real 1956 Large Bore Martin Committee Deluxe - Yep, I tried them both for a few weeks. Together! These two trumpets were terrific. I got a clear view of why people value them so highly and, yes, there is a definite "Committee Sound." Alas, still no Chet.

Conclusion? "It's the Indian, not the arrow."

Jens Lindemann published a video some years back that featured Arturo Sandoval demonstrating how he could produce a huge variety of sound colors with just one trumpet and one mouthpiece. I figure that I might be able to somewhat emulate Chet Baker if I wanted to put in the work to discover how to do it, but for me it's not the sound that I love.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa guys, you're making a quantum leap and I should've been more specific.

I would not replace any original equipment that cannot be immediately reversed. With a different tuning slide, I can just switch the old with the new and vice versa. Conversely, I cannot simply go back and forth with affixed bells or other affixed equipment.

My oversight, sorry!

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chet Committee to Benge conversion Reply with quote

SilverSpunk wrote:

Would it help to get one of my front teeth removed, too?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Chet Committee to Benge conversion Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
SilverSpunk wrote:

Would it help to get one of my front teeth removed, too?

Oh, so you are going for the 'pre-brutal assault on his teeth' Chet sound.

Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet played softly and way up in the microphone especially at the end of his career. He also sounded better on his last few recordings on the Bach Strad he was playing at the time.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quintessential Chet sound was in large part done with the conn 38B, and the Bach, and the buescher. I think there are more recordings of those three than the committee. On the committee he sounded great of course, but the others….
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like what MK can do with their slides, but no MK slide is going to do enough to make either of my Benge's (3X and 4X, S# 14XXX) lean toward that Chet-like sound. Both of my Benge's lean towards a very nice clear, pure trumpet tone... But neither sound smoky or dark.

Mouthpiece options can surely help, but again, that breathy sound isn't close to what my Benge's lean toward. I like the Curry VC (Vintage Cornet) for a somewhat breathy, warm sound on my cornets, and I've got a GR cornet-to-trumpet adapter which I just plugged into my Benge 4X... No one's gonna mistake me for Chet with this setup. However, I've got a Andrea Giuffredi model by CarolBrass; with it's big bell and the Curry VC mouthpiece - it's much closer.

Great question though, and glad you're thinking out loud... It does us all good to conjecture from time to time.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chet Committee to Benge conversion Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

What adjustment in equipment (tuning slide, mouthpiece, etc.) would you make to a Benge 3X to strive for a Chet Baker-ish sound? Or would someone just wind up with a Frankenhorn that just can't do the trick?.......

Arturo Sandoval explains and demonstrates how to create the sound you are seeking in this interview with Jens Lindemann:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlJ6OiVLX9I

(Watch beginning at the 7:30 minute mark through the 11:00 mark.)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it might just be something to do with his teeth, I think he used the technique of pulling his front teeth/jaw back a little bit to get the slightly airy sound when he is playing slow ballads and then it completely changes when he player faster bop stuff like this,

Link

When he is playing ballads, you can notice that his embouchure seems to shift a little bit while he is playing, maybe he is constantly manipulating the airflow by using is bottom jaw,

Link
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone identify this horn? Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
SilverSpunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

I'm pretty sure he is playing a Buescher Aristocrat trumpet from the mid 1960s which was marketed to students I think.

Dillons Music has one for sale at the moment and as you can see the horn is identical (3rd slide bracing, the reciever, the top finger caps/button ect.)

https://www.dillonmusic.com/used-buescher-aristocrat-bb-trumpet-sn-511069/

Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverSpunk wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

I'm pretty sure he is playing a Buescher Aristocrat trumpet from the mid 1960s which was marketed to students I think.

After watching the second video posted by SilverSpunk on YouTube (where I can expand it to full screen), I'm inclined to agree that the horn is a Buescher. Those finger buttons look very much like the ones on the Buescher 207 that I own (the models Buescher was making in the 60's carried over minor hardware like that).

That portrait of Chet is kind of unsettling to me -- there is optimism and innocence in those eyes (or maybe it's a frankness in the way he confronts the camera), yet also a haunted quality.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: