• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

40s vs 60s Olds Super

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject: 40s vs 60s Olds Super Reply with quote

I've been playing a 60s Super for the past year for commercial/jazz stuff and been really enjoying it. Recently, a 40s Super has popped up locally. I've heard lots of good things about the earlier Supers and how they're even better than the later versions, so the horn's got me interested.

I could probably sell my 60s Super for $500 without much issue and can likely get the 40s for $800, maybe less. From the description it's in good shape with reasonable compression, but had the lacquer stripped at some point.

I'd appreciate any advice regarding the value of making the swap to the older Super - are the earlier horns 'better' enough to be worth the time and cost of doing a swap?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a very similar discussion with my teacher yesterday: in both our experience the major difference between modern and vintage horns is the individual state of the specimen. If a 40s horn has been well maintained it may be a gem. If not, maybe not so much.

Moreover, the build differences/tolerances between vintage horns of the same make and model may be larger than, say, between two new Yamahas. Simply because modern manufacturing is generally more precise. So,having played a great vintage horn of some type may not necessarily mean that all horns of the same type play the same.

Not very helpful, I know.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
krax
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you feel that your 60's Super has a somewhat laser-beam-like sound, then you won't find it in the 40's Super. It will be similar, but not that focused-concentrated. Instead, it will be lighter, with more of ballet-like elegance. The entire horn will feel lighter (they are lighter) and more versatile.

At least that was my experience, comparing a Super from '67 with one from '46 and one from '42. I prefer the older version with its thinner brass.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: 40s vs 60s Olds Super Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
I've been playing a 60s Super for the past year for commercial/jazz stuff and been really enjoying it. Recently, a 40s Super has popped up locally. I've heard lots of good things about the earlier Supers and how they're even better than the later versions, so the horn's got me interested.

I could probably sell my 60s Super for $500 without much issue and can likely get the 40s for $800, maybe less. From the description it's in good shape with reasonable compression, but had the lacquer stripped at some point.

I'd appreciate any advice regarding the value of making the swap to the older Super - are the earlier horns 'better' enough to be worth the time and cost of doing a swap?

I have no idea about your financial situation, but I never sell instruments I like. I didn't play my Bach 184ML cornet at all for nearly 11 years, but owing to returning to a brass band with a matched set, it is now my main cornet. It is a good job that I didn't sell it, as Bach 184MLs are selling new for the late £3000 in the UK, even over £4000, and everywhere is out of stock. There are two used one for sale for around the £1200-1500 mark, but how lucky I kept mine.

I know that around $800 is hardly loose change, but If you want to get the 40s Super, and can afford to buy it without selling your 60s one, I would at least keep your 60s one for now. You can always sell it later.

I completely agree with Brassnose regarding the build differences/tolerances between vintage horns of the same make and model possibly being larger than between two new Yamahas, and would go as far as to change the word possibly to probably. Add to that, everything which may have happened to it in the following getting on for eighty years, repairs modifications etc., in my opinion, you really need to play it for yourself before you consider doing anything.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand Louise about not selling a horn you like, I also understand the wish to not hoard trumpets (or anything, really). I usually go the other way around: I see a horn I’m interested and - finances allowing - I purchase it (or make an appointment for a play test). Then I play it for awhile, compare it to my other horns and only then, after having time to compare for quite some time I decide on who to sell. My personal theory is that at some point - with always keeping the horns that suit me best and selling the others - I’ll end up with the perfect horn for me (some horns will not be for sale in spite of my smart theory ).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. The projection and intensity I can get out of the 60s Super are some of the things I like most about the horn. It still sounds like the 40s Super is worth taking a look at.

As far as selling before buying something else, I'm trying not to become a trumpet hoarder, but I find these vintage instruments very interesting and enjoyable to play. It's hard to resist taking a look at these less-common vintage horns when they occasionally pop-up locally.
Rogerrr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some of the same 40s vs 60s Super ideas in my head...I have a 60s one now and curious about the 40s Super

I'm in the DC area too, but don't worry....I won't snap up any local 40s Supers
....not for a while anyway
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't read through Centex Brass' Super Evolution page, it's a very thorough documentation of the changes to the Supers over time. The main difference is in the weight - they went to a heavier brass about 1947, SN ~19000.

https://centexbrass.com/superevolution

I have a '40, and a '46 Super and love them both. The '46 has the brass tone ring and I would give it a little edge, if I had to pick one.

I've not played a 60's Super, but have had both a '46 and '63 Super Cornet. I very much preferred (and kept) the '46, which is also a brass tone ring model.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1947 Super with the brass tone ring. It's in the 21,XXX serial number range. It is an extremely light weight horn, probably the lightest weight horn I own. The Supers became a lot heavier in later years. The examples with brass tone rings were not made for very long and are especially rare.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
While I understand Louise about not selling a horn you like, I also understand the wish to not hoard trumpets (or anything, really). I usually go the other way around: I see a horn I’m interested and - finances allowing - I purchase it (or make an appointment for a play test). Then I play it for awhile, compare it to my other horns and only then, after having time to compare for quite some time I decide on who to sell. My personal theory is that at some point - with always keeping the horns that suit me best and selling the others - I’ll end up with the perfect horn for me (some horns will not be for sale in spite of my smart theory ).

Hi Brassnose

I fully understand, thanks. I did however say the following:

I know that around $800 is hardly loose change, but If you want to get the 40s Super, and can afford to buy it without selling your 60s one, I would at least keep your 60s one for now. You can always sell it later.

When I said that I never sell instruments that I like, I was probably meaning along the lines of what you mean when you said that you have some horns that will not be for sale.

I was never going to sell my Bach 184ML cornet, as I bought it with the funds from a trust fund that my parents started for me as a baby. Probably for the purchase of a car, but I already had a car by this point. I also played it for 18 years and we have a lot of history together. I never expected to end up back on it. I'll probably never sell my Bach 37 either. I've had it for many years.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix864 wrote:
I'm trying not to become a trumpet hoarder, but I find these vintage instruments very interesting and enjoyable to play. It's hard to resist taking a look at these less-common vintage horns when they occasionally pop-up locally.

Can relate. Been looking out for a Super to try some day...but even though I definitely won't need it, I'm half afraid I'll end up buying it anyway. Something about vintage instruments that just scream: 'pick me, play me!'
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: