• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Advice on MP please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Advice on MP please Reply with quote

I bought an old Pocket Cornet recently.
It has the original mp, a 7c with a harsh bite and feels like a bucket.

I like vintage Martin trumpet MPs so I found a vintage Martin No.7 Cornet mp and ordered it. I'd like a shallow mp option for my Cornet but I've never seen one.

I did see a Schilke Piccolo Trumper mp (8A4x) with a Cornet Shank and wondered if that would work in my Cornet?

Is the Schilke mp meant to be used in a Cornet if it has a Cornet Shank?
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Schilke cornet mouthpiece will probably work fine. Can’t say I’ve ever seen an 8A4x, but it’ll work fine. The x backbore isn’t often used with a cornet, but it’s possible that a larger backbore like that could help open up the sound of a pocket cornet.
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan. The 8A4X I've seen is actually a s/h Piccolo Trumpet mp. Will this still.l work and achieve what I'm wanting?

I take it that Piccolos can use either a Trumpet or Cornet mp depending on the Shank used in the instrument.

The other option I've seen that might work for me is a Schilke 13A4a Cornet mp which is described as shallow cup, wide, flattish Rim and ideal for high end register and lead playing

The reason I was considering the Piccolo mp is that it has a Cornet Shank and is half the price of what I would be paying for the 13A4a Cornet mp, which I can only find new atm.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Schilke 8A4 (without the X) cornet mouthpiece on an old cornet for years. It’s a fairly shallow funnel with a wide rim. I used it mainly for endurance on long, demanding gigs, but it doesn’t produce a very mellow cornet tone. I recently had Mark Curry make one of his 3C. mouthpieces with a cornet shank for me, and I really like it. Not acceptable for anything like brass band, but produces a pleasing tone and is really easy to play and comfortable.
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I played a Schilke 8A4 (without the X) cornet mouthpiece on an old cornet for years.

Thanks Dale,

So will the 8A4 Piccolo Trumpet mp with a Cornet Shank work?

Would it be the same as a 8A4 Cornet mp?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeway wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:
I played a Schilke 8A4 (without the X) cornet mouthpiece on an old cornet for years.

Thanks Dale,

It would probably work, yes.

The fourth character in schilke models is the backbore - x is an extra large backbore intended for piccolo.

You have to be slightly careful with schilke cornet mouthpieces sometimes, though - they insert quite a bit further info the receiver than most other corner mouthpieces. If your cornet has a gap, it can potentially refuse to seat at all - uncommon, but not completely unheard of.

Bear in mind that's probably been custom ordered - custom order mouthpieces tend to be much more difficult to sell again than standard models if they don't suit you, even if it's just the non-standard backbore like the X on an 8a4
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Leeway wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Thanks Dale,

It would probably work, yes.

The fourth character in schilke models is the backbore - x is an extra large backbore intended for piccolo.

You have to be slightly careful with schilke cornet mouthpieces sometimes, though - they insert quite a bit further info the receiver than most other corner mouthpieces. If your cornet has a gap, it can potentially refuse to seat at all - uncommon, but not completely unheard of.

Bear in mind that's probably been custom ordered - custom order mouthpieces tend to be much more difficult to sell again than standard models if they don't suit you, even if it's just the non-standard backbore like the X on an 8a4

Thanks TK, this Cornet uses a Shank and if the mp sunk in further than usual I don't think it would be s problem, the horn plays flat anyway, so you have to keep the tuning slide in. The mp further in might bring the horn sharp so I can use the tuning slide to compensate.

Still deliberating whether to go for the 8A4x Piccolo or spend a bit more and get a 13A4a Cornet mp. I can get one of those for US$75.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leeway wrote:

Thanks TK, this Cornet uses a Shank and if the mp sunk in further than usual I don't think it would be s problem, the horn plays flat anyway, so you have to keep the tuning slide in. The mp further in might bring the horn sharp so I can use the tuning slide to compensate.

Still deliberating whether to go for the 8A4x Piccolo or spend a bit more and get a 13A4a Cornet mp. I can get one of those for US$75.

It's not a problem on plenty of cornets, but on some it can be.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that going in further is going to sharpen anything either, it will have an effect on the response and the general intonation tendencies (as experience with Warburton S and regular series of the same number/profile show me) but whether it'll play great for you or not is as much guesswork as any other mouthpiece you buy without trying it first.

Also worth bearing in mind Schilke cornet blanks are longer fullstop than most others - again, one factor among many.

A 13a4a is very different again, we're talking about huge Vs tiny backbores as well as different rim ID, different cup shape and different rim shape - the only thing they'd have in common is the blank and the throat bore.

How experienced a player are you, out of interest?

What playing do you want to do with this pocket cornet that the shallower piece will help with?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t use a 13A4a on a cornet - it’s a very radical mouthpiece that most people can’t use with good results. It’s very shallow with an extremely tight blow. As for the length of Schilke cornet mouthpieces, they are slightly longer than most cornet mouthpieces, with a smaller diameter at the tip. Because of that, they can bottom out before they seat if your cornet has a ridge in the end of the receiver that produces a gap. Some cornets do, and many don’t. My Bach 184 cornet does have a ridge, and Schilke mouthpieces won’t fit it correctly. As far as compensating for the tuning of a cornet that plays flat, the extra insertion depth of a Schilke mouthpiece won’t help, because the mouthpiece is longer, so the combined length of the mouthpiece and cornet remains the same as when using a standard cornet mouthpiece.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with some Curry 600 series MPCs purely by accident and now I'll never want for another. I'm now duplicating them in Trumpet, i like the cornet pieces so much. If you are simply wanting to expand your range, try a 30 M. Not saying cause it works for me, it must work for everyone, but gosh what a BIG difference. I preserved the bottom end and tone across the range. I might have tried a 40m in retrospect but man this 30m is nice.
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I'm on the wrong track altogether.

I'll wait for my Martin mp to turn up and see how that works.

I play just for enjoyment and an ongoing challenge these days, my pro days are long gone.

I'll keep looking for a vintage Martin mp in a 10 and grab one if it turns up.

The other trumpet mp that works for me is the Conn 5, maybe there's a Conn Cornet mp in a 5 out there somewhere!

Mouthpieces are such a head****!!!

Thanks to all for their input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: