• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Seller's Remorse?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I began my comeback, I sold my longtime horn, a Yamaha YTR-734, an early collaberation between Yamaha/Schilke. I sold it because it was too bright, somewhat thin in tone, and didn't slot reliably for me (maybe my flaw). Having said that, I have yet to play another horn that I could "push around" with such flexability. By that, I mean that I could bend notes all over the place, easily change the color of the tone practically just by thinking about it, and make it sound as sassy as Mae West. While I like the warmer, fuller tone of my current horns (see list), I miss the "power" I had over that Yamaha. It seems as though I've lost some of my musical creativity, or something. My question is, what exactly did I give up?
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my 734.
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaser? Do you live in Charlottesville? I sold you that trumpet!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 734 was a nice horn for sure. I owned one of those way back when and mine played much like the one you describe. There are occasionally some 734 horns that show up on eBay now and then or you check out the TL6R-1 Lawler, whch allows much the same kind of flexibility.
Larry
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those are great horns. I had a 738 for a while, which is a little bigger version of the same horn. Of course, Schilke still makes horns like that. Looking at your list of horns you've gone off the deep end of the other end of the spectrum. The Yamaha 6310Z is closest current Yamaha to your old. You'll find the Xeno 8335s as tight and inflexible as the rest of your collection.

Schilke, Selmer Paris, Yamaha (Z only) and a few others still make horns in the vein of your old Yammy. Lots of us love them.

Dave
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, you keep leading me to that Lawler, and I'm beginning to think you're right. A few weeks ago I asked about that "martin committee" sound.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those old Yamahas once although at this point I can't really say if it was a 734 or a 739, but I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

I inherited that horn from my older sister when she got her (and eventually my) Bach Strad. When I got it, I had been playing a really beat up King cornet and ANY halfway decent horn would have been a step up from that so I really didn't realize just how good it was.

Anyway, when Kath (my sister) graduated from HS, as good as she was, she decided to hang it up and I got her Bach Strad, whereupon I put the Yammie in the case in favor of the Strad. It was a Bach Strad after all, it HAD to be a better horn, right? Over the next several years, I pulled the Yamaha out of the case from time to time, but I always ended up going back to the Bach because I believed the reputation, that the Bach Stradivarius was the Cadillac of trumpets, and therefore was the better trumpet. Looking back on it with hindsight being 20/20, I think that the Yamaha actually played better between the two of them.

I eventually sold the Yamaha and there are times when I really wish that I had kept hold of it. Fortunately I sold it as a favor to a guy through a friend of mine so that he could get rid of his old beater trumpet and play something better. Hopefully it's still going strong and in the hands of someone who will really appreciate it. I wish that I still had it because it would be perfect for the playing that I do now which is rock band and big band.

I hope your next horn is as good as the old Yamaha.

"...there's no sound in flutes. All I hear is noise." -- Buddy Rich

[ This Message was edited by: trickg on 2004-01-08 19:44 ]
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebelatheart,

I have not heard anyone who is unhappy with their Lawler TL6r-1a. Roy built them to have the Martin type sound. I've been very happy with mine. I also had the sts option done for versatility. I found the horn to be more responsive after the sts. Call Roy and in 6-8 weeks you will have an awesome horn.

By the way, even though I have the Lawler, I have sellers remorse over selling my Schilke B5. What a back up horn it would have been.

[ This Message was edited by: bkmdano on 2004-01-08 21:00 ]
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Dan. I want a warm sound, which my current horns give me, but I'm begining to feel like I'm in a straight jacket. The Yamaha WAS too bright for me, but I want that ability to EXPRESS myself musically, which that YTR-734 had, and my current horns don't, at least not to the same degree. This is also the reason I didn't buy the Bach. Beautiful tone and timber, but again, felt like a straight jacket. I want that magic back! Hello, Roy? How busy are you?
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure Roy knows what you like about that 734 and what you disliked about it. With the right combination of bell and leadpipe I think you can have your cake and eat it also. Consider the STS so you can use two bells with different tones.

Dave
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you talk to Bruce Lee at Northernbrass, Lawler has just announced his recreation of the Martin Committee, while you are talking to them check out the Eclipse which is making a big impression over here in the UK.
Mark
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

You are a good man!
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wish the bore was .468" or .470" instead of .460" though.

Fantastic, bright, lightweight, ultra-fast responding horn.
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chaser, I forgot to tell you, the valve caps (both top and bottom) should have been numbered, in my opinion. They all seem to fit well on some valve casings, not as well on others. If you remove them all to clean the horn, mark or number them so they return to their respective "happy" homes.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck are you guys talking about? Are we trumpet players not real men or what?

Old trumpets are like lost lovers... regard them gently-- no malice.

They were good while they lasted, but there IS a reason (as hard as it may be to remember in a sentimental moment)... you moved on...
Chaser
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed the 2nd valve making alot of vibration after cleaning it and reassembling the first time.
I figured that the felt/cork that strikes the bottom of the valve cap on the upstroke was worn out. Turns out (I didn't even notice until it was shown to me) that the lead pipe had come unsoldered from the 2nd valve brace.

Rest easy though, she is being resoldered and should be as good as new on Monday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: