• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High C - Time to forget Lips not Tongue control pitch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject: High C - Time to forget Lips not Tongue control pitch? Reply with quote

Hello Trumpet Players

I was watching a Javier Gonzalez video - he explains how he focused on the lead pipe for a year - working on the tongue position to change pitch. "Nice Guy but in that respect he's wrong" I thought. Eminent (in TH) physicists like Kalijah have proved that."But then a second thought occurred to me "How can Javier be so wrong (about the tongue) and yet play so right - is there a connection?"

I know the notes above the staff are very close together - and assuming you have a Balanced enough Embouchure - small, indeed very small changes are required to change pitch. I accept all the arguments that Lip Posture effect the change but is it counter productive /not useful / slows progress if, in our mental/physical set up we take the Tongue out of the pitch equation?

I read just now there are 8 muscles in the tongue. It's not floating around in our mouth like some Wordsworthian cloud - the Tongue must be pretty much connected to everything. So by treating / experimenting with the Tongue as an agent of pitch change will you be starting a sequence of events that initiate pitch change? Furthurmore because the Tongue is, unlike the lips, not the Primary agent, is it more effective at achieving the level of fine tuning you need above the staff? Indeed could thinking "lips for pitch change" above the staff be also counterproductive - using a hammer to crack an egg? Maybe to all intents and purposes Javier was right all along.

Best wishes and stay safe Steve in Helsinki
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he does on the lead pipe is crazy!

I think most everything in the embouchure is connected in some way. Too many small muscles moving in coordination to actually control them specifically or individually. What certain players choose to focus on is up to them. Lots of the control comes almost as a side effect.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
think most everything in the embouchure is connected in some way. Too many small muscles moving in coordination to actually control them specifically or individually. What certain players choose to focus on is up to them. Lots of the control comes almost as a side effect

Great answer!!

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: High C - Time to forget Lips not Tongue control pitch? Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
... the Tongue must be pretty much connected to everything. So by treating / experimenting with the Tongue as an agent of pitch change will you be starting a sequence of events that initiate pitch change? ...

------------------------------
'agent of pitch change' - a reasonable way to view it.

It's likely that some people have better feeling and control of their tongue position than of their lips. So they attribute the tongue as having a more direct effect than other aspects of overall embouchure control.

I think that most players get it to 'work' using similar physical mechanics, but individuals have their own feelings and description about how they sense those mechanics.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: High C - Time to forget Lips not Tongue control pitch? Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
steve0930 wrote:
... the Tongue must be pretty much connected to everything. So by treating / experimenting with the Tongue as an agent of pitch change will you be starting a sequence of events that initiate pitch change? ...

------------------------------
'agent of pitch change' - a reasonable way to view it.

It's likely that some people have better feeling and control of their tongue position than of their lips. So they attribute the tongue as having a more direct effect than other aspects of overall embouchure control.

I think that most players get it to 'work' using similar physical mechanics, but individuals have their own feelings and description about how they sense those mechanics.

This is exactly what I was thinking and trying to figure out how to say.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Indeed could thinking "lips for pitch change" above the staff be also counterproductive - using a hammer to crack an egg?

I'm not necessarily thinking THAT, neither am I thinking "tongue for pitch change", which could be equally (or more) distracting.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t matter that the partials are closer together in the upper register. That doesn’t make higher notes easier to hit unfortunately.

There is so much variation among players and also the big variation in the upper register especially is DYNAMIC level. How loud you are playing has a lot to do with the mechanics up high. Mechanics can’t be put into words that work for players across the board.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here comes the monkey wrench. I was listening to an interview of Eric Miyashiro, and he said that he never uses the tongue (for range/pitch).

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dstpt on Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
ErikA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to rely only on aperture and diaphragm to change pitch. Perhaps my tongue moved too but it didn't feel like it and I never felt the need to add it to the toolkit. Then I started consciously using the tongue as well, and that seems to help.

Whatever the physics are, it helps mentally to be conscious of all the different ways to change pitch. The trick is learning how to blend them. Still working on that.
kurth83

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first famous trumpet player I know of who claimed that tongue was a contributor to pitch control was Claude Gordon. I studied under him for a bit so I can regurgitate some of what he said.

This was one of Claude's favorite stories on "tongue level" as he called it:
There was a famous trumpet player back then (known for his high register) who claimed he did not use tongue for pitch in response to Claude's claims. It took a while but Claude eventually convinced him to be x-rayed while playing, and yes he did indeed use the tongue as Claude claimed. Claude usually told it anonymously like that, but we all knew it was Maurice Andre.

So when another player claims no tongue, I tend to figure they are simply un aware of what they are doing.

I think the moral of the story is that thinking about the tongue is optional, but using it is not. Claude however taught consciously using the tongue "aw-ee-aw-ee" as you went up and down.

Now those older guys used traditional embouchures AFAIK. I suppose it is possible that things really are different with BE and others like it, but I kinda want to see the xrays (or maybe ultra-sound these days)...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref. use of tongue for range/pitch. Isn't that in Arban?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
kurth83

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, so it dates back to the "beginning", Arban, Clark, etc. And been controversial just as long I think.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Ref. use of tongue for range/pitch. Isn't that in Arban?

-------------------------
I could not find anything in Arban's about using tongue control, position, arch, etc. related to range or pitch.

Pops McLaughlin does mention it in his edition called "The New Arban Book", and I think those mentions were McLaughlin's personal thoughts.

https://www.bbtrumpet.com/blogs/Uncategorized/the-pops-mclaughlin-trumpet-foundation-page

http://www.mallstore.biz/books/NewArban.pdf

What I mostly read in actual Arban's was use of mouthpiece pressure, lip tightening and stretching for pitch control.
Note that Arban mentioned that notes higher than Bb above the staff should be used sparingly - that is in section labeled 'Compass of the Cornet'
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So when another player claims no tongue, I tend to figure they are simply un aware of what they are doing.

I think the moral of the story is that thinking about the tongue is optional, but using it is not.

Replace the word "lips" or "lip tension" for "tongue" in the above statements and they are every bit as true.

Quote:
Claude however taught consciously using the tongue "aw-ee-aw-ee" as you went up and down.

Most players already do this instinctively. And it is taught by many. But the lips ultimately control the pitch.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:

Most players already do this instinctively. And it is taught by many. But the lips ultimately control the pitch.

It wasn't until I got ahold of the Balanced Embouchure and its roll in-roll out exercises that my upper register "unlocked." I was pinning my lips in place with a spread open aperture and that, while giving me a nice tone, inhibited flexibility and range. Learning to let the lips move freely inside the mouthpiece fixed a LOT of things for me. I'm sure that the tongue does something, thought I'm not sure what. What I am sure of is that FOR ME rolled out = low and rolled in = high.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
It doesn’t matter that the partials are closer together in the upper register. That doesn’t make higher notes easier to hit unfortunately.

There is so much variation among players and also the big variation in the upper register especially is DYNAMIC level. How loud you are playing has a lot to do with the mechanics up high. Mechanics can’t be put into words that work for players across the board.

I feel this is a key to the high note thing. I can play a double c and higher, but at nowhere near the volume needed to play above the band. Every lead player in the pro ranks I’ve seen had a loud upper volume. I think that learning to hit the notes with some control is the first step. I took me a long time (like 5 years to hit it as a pitch with a minimum of control).I can now play a f with volume but the g I can’t pull off yet. I’ve found the means to hit the notes mp but f and ff shut me off. I know that I am trying to use too much air but I haven’t found the resonance I need, and truthfully I can’t say that I have much idea to correct that. The notes aren’t really used in anything I play above hi g, but I’ve worked hard and would like the g just to say I had pro range. I play at most 1.5 hours a day and I question if I’m playing enough to develop the fine coordination. I certainly don’t have the lips I had 50 years ago when I stopped playing but my range only went to hi e in hi school and I played 6 hours a day. Just playing the notes took many years, I hope I have enough years left to pop a dbl c at volume before I pop.
Rod
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:

I feel this is a key to the high note thing. I can play a double c and higher, but at nowhere near the volume needed to play above the band. Every lead player in the pro ranks I’ve seen had a loud upper volume. I think that learning to hit the notes with some control is the first step. I took me a long time (like 5 years to hit it as a pitch with a minimum of control).I can now play a f with volume but the g I can’t pull off yet. I’ve found the means to hit the notes mp but f and ff shut me off. I know that I am trying to use too much air but I haven’t found the resonance I need, and truthfully I can’t say that I have much idea to correct that. The notes aren’t really used in anything I play above hi g, but I’ve worked hard and would like the g just to say I had pro range. I play at most 1.5 hours a day and I question if I’m playing enough to develop the fine coordination. I certainly don’t have the lips I had 50 years ago when I stopped playing but my range only went to hi e in hi school and I played 6 hours a day. Just playing the notes took many years, I hope I have enough years left to pop a dbl c at volume before I pop.
Rod
I also discovered my high notes playing very soft. However, I've been around cats from Cuba that play really high and they get it from blowing their asses off. They play LOUD. They don't even think about trying to play soft up there. So really, all bets are off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: