• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rhythmic awareness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Rhythmic awareness Reply with quote

Hi

Any tips to get better at rhythm ?

I know there are different levels where I can make some progress :

- rhythm reading. I know I am not familiar with every and single rhythmic combination I might encounter

- rhythm ' awareness ' : where is located every subdivision. I mean sometimes the 2nd and/or 4th 16th of the beat can be ' hard ' to feel. These kind of ' tricky ' rhythms....

- instrumental rhythm : when you know when the note is but the actual playing is ...how to say it...delayed

I kinda of know how to approach these but I 'd be interested with your input on these subjects, maybe some methods/books/YT videos whatever....

Thanks

JiCe
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a simple answer, but do you use a metronome?
(D

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Rhythmic awareness Reply with quote

Rythm (and timing) is the one aspect of playing I never really struggled with, so I'm not sure if I'm the right person to comment on this, but I usually apply a combination of the following:

jicetp wrote:
rhythm reading. I know I am not familiar with every and single rhythmic combination I might encounter

-Determining which notes are on the beat, and which ones aren't...the ones on the beat can be timed rather precisely, and the off-beat ones can at first be approximated by playing them 'somewhere inbetween', and the refined through practice
-Dividing the notes into the smallest parts, and then slowly tap the rythm, applying accents on the notes and light taps on the rests (for example, I learned how to tap both a 2-beat and a 3-beat at the same time by tapping them as 6-note rythms)
-Converting a rythm to a more readable form with the same timing (a 16th has the same timing as an 8th with a dot on it, so reading either shouldn't feel as 'a whole new rythm')
-Playing lots of music: at some point some notations simply start to get familiar and easier to read/perform
jicetp wrote:
rhythm ' awareness ' : where is located every subdivision. I mean sometimes the 2nd and/or 4th 16th of the beat can be ' hard ' to feel. These kind of ' tricky ' rhythms....

-In general I approach these as 'micro oomph-pah' rythms, sometimes combining it with the 'dividing notes' trick mentioned above. The 4th note of the 16th group could also be considered a setup towards the next note, making it easier to play in time when you play 'towards the beat'.
-Listening to recordings of the music (or writing the rythm in something like Musescore or Sibelius) often helps with this kind of timing
-Also, listen to what the rest of the group is doing. A simple example would be playing off-beats in a march, listening to the 'oomph' makes 'pahing' a lot easier, however this applies to lots of music. There's often some form of 'call-answer' effect that helps in finding the right timing for the notes...maybe the bass has the same rythm, or the drums are doing a fill to setup the rythm, or some other instrument played the the same rythm somewhere else in the tune. Make use of what is going on around you.
jicetp wrote:
instrumental rhythm : when you know when the note is but the actual playing is ...how to say it...delayed

That one is tricky. For the most part, it's about mastering the instrument. It can also help to avoid 'relaxing' during rests, but rather staying active and engaged with the music.

And sometimes it just is as it is. I remember a rehersal where our conductor sighed to our trumpet section: "you guys are playing the wrong rythm, however, you're all doing it wrong with the exact same timing that I'm not gonna mess with it...leave it as it is". So ultimately, if the band sounds good, who cares if one or two rythms are a little off?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the forgotten aspects of time and rhythm accuracy is articulation, emphasis, and note shape.
Articulations can be sluggish, as an example, causing inaccuracies.
Emphasizing notes in the wrong place can make an accurately placed pattern sound out of time or phase, and create false security.
And note shape can make things sound out, sluggish, etc.

Metronome work, YES. but also all the other aspects of playing the instrument will cause or hide poor rhythm/time.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do the research, but there are books that develop sight reading. What you want is not one that just teaches random rhythm groups, but that presents them organized with the most common rhythnic patterns to ones lesser used ones. And, technically, progressively. That is, simplist to more complex combinations.

Do them with a metronome.

Learn to "read ahead". That means, you are looking to what comes ahead, while you are playing your present rhythm. You will eventually learn recognizable patterns that you don't have to think
about.

Record yourself. You may think you have played rhythms correctly, while in the heat of battle yet, you don.t. The recorder doesn't lie.

(I think Rhythms Complete is a good starting place. They are jazz rhythms -the author is "Bugs" Bower for Pete's sale - but you can play them straight. Sold by Charles Colin.)

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. the above refers to sight reading but that's the goal of rhythm studies, IMO, don't think the one cancels out the other. Same thing.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
This is a simple answer, but do you use a metronome?
(D

This reply is the end of it.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the metronome like Victor Wooten teaches:

1. Systematically cutting the click in half, decreasing the metronome information to develop the sense of internal time. So play a passage with the metronome at 160; then the same playing tempo but with the met at 80; and again at 40, 20…
2. Move the placement of the click (e.g., click on the and of 4).
3. Use a slow click and odd subdivisions of the click (say 5 beats per click), which moves the placement of the click around the bar.

https://youtu.be/9X1fhVLVF_4
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, do the opposite as well. Run the metronome VERY fast at 2 or 4 times the quarter note tempo (3 or 6 times for triplet, swing and shuffle rhythms) and practice at slow and deliberate base tempos. This is great tool for locking-in your rhythmic habits for various rhythmic figures. Play MANY repetitions.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look into something like this: https://completerhythmtrainer.com/en/

One of the difficulties of improving rhythm is if we don't have anything to base accuracy off of. Also, do you have a counting system that you use?

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your initial post hit on the main areas, internal mental/aural development and then the coordination of technique.

A book like Edwin Gordon’s ‘learning sequences in music’ can help you fill in some of the conceptual stuff. Active listening(listening with score) and audiation practice will help with the internal. As prior mentioned, having a counting system is a starting point as well as understanding the bigger picture of theory, time and meter.

For coordination something simple like a single pitch with rhythmic permeations can be very effective. Things like Breathing gym flow check patterns, Caurso ex 22, the low note articulation warm up in the Vizutti books, Arban page 44 slurs, Bond p. 89, etc….Do them with metronome and things like Aebersold backing tracks at a variety of tempos and this overlaps with baseline articulation practice we should be doing anyway.

Ultimately you are developing time and rhythm, they aren’t quite the same thing and simply playing along with a metronome , while important, will only get you so far without the larger conceptual frame work and internalization.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:

Also, do you have a counting system that you use?

I am interested in this. What do you mean ? Could you please elaborate ?
Thanks
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have written a very long post, as you’ve made me think long and hard about my sense of pulse and rhythm… I tend to annoy people by be8ng a bit too accurate…

Bottom line. THINK AND COUNT. Every beat of every bar of every piece you play or listen to. Don’t even pick the horn up to play unless there is a pulse up and running - ever. Long notes included. Chuck the how to books and associated monetising. Just count everything.

Once you do this, issues will melt away.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
mafields627 wrote:

Also, do you have a counting system that you use?

I am interested in this. What do you mean ? Could you please elaborate ?
Thanks

I'm just refering to a systematic way to approach counting rhythms so that you're not just guessing at what you're playing.

Here's a good primer for probably the most popular system in the US: https://utminers.utep.edu/charlesl/Counting1e&a.pdf

Here's another common system used in the US: http://www.ocdmusician.com/images/eastman.pdf

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok 👍

Many thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: