• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette Unity Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and just as a matter of trivia (if the online calculator is to be believed) that $415 today would be equivalent to $56.56 in 1969. A VERY expensive mouthpiece back then
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspeyrer wrote:
I’m open to having that discussion if you are;

Dave charging roughly 410X the cost of a mouthpiece seems a hard justification.

You think a mouthpiece costs $1 to make?
1962 Reynolds Argenta LB trumpet
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
2021 Manchester Brass flugel
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone get one yet? What are your thoughts?
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

I’m getting the new B6M size (slightly deeper cup 3C). I’ll post updates with my first impressions and as I fully adjust to it.
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtropical and Subpar wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:

No, I don’t think that.

Please, breakdown mouthpiece production cost for us. I’m keen on finding out how some people do it for a few dollars versus hundreds of dollars.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do we need to have this discussion AGAIN? Can this thread actually be about the mouthpieces, please? If you haven’t played the new Unity design, please stop posting on this thread; you contribute nothing.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a Unity B2-7, the new rim in a Monette 2 size. It is at the platers now. Currently I have a B6D S1 but have moved to larger diameters and was going to order a B2 Prana before these new ones were announced.

I have not been playing too many hours recently and find the Monette pieces harder to play when I am not in good shape, but I am curious what Dave is up to in this new one. I have been able to sell lightly-used pieces for good prices here so it should not be too much skin off my back I hope.
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
Why do we need to have this discussion AGAIN? Can this thread actually be about the mouthpieces, please? If you haven’t played the new Unity design, please stop posting on this thread; you contribute nothing.

Discussing the cost and advertising of the mouthpiece is very much in line with the thread. Both of these factors contribute considerably to one’s impressions of the mouthpieces.

Complaining about the thread because you don’t like the particular opinions or points being made contribute nothing, with all due respect.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe all of the mouthpiece makers, or at least most of them are using CNC lathes. These are quite expensive. But after they are paid off, then the actual cost of the mouthpieces are probably quite low. The brass is cheap. Gold plating might be 30-40 bucks. You need somebody there that knows how to load the brass into the machine correctly, turn the lathe on and off, and put the finished mouthpieces someplace. Let's put it this way. I don't think Monette is taking a loss at charging $410 for a mouthpiece .Why do you think that there are so many mouthpiece makers out there?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
Why do you think that there are so many mouthpiece makers out there?
Because trumpet players love to buy mouthpieces! It's a fun industry.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

The question is, are there any listed in the Marketplace yet?

"Play tested about an hour. Not for me."

Kent
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:

No, I don’t think that.

Please, breakdown mouthpiece production cost for us. I’m keen on finding out how some people do it for a few dollars versus hundreds of dollars.

No, you see you are the person who noted that the Unity mouthpieces, which cost $415, are "roughly 410x the cost of a mouthpiece." It is on you to explain that statement, not me.
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:

No, I don’t think that.

No, you see you are the person who noted that the Unity mouthpieces, which cost $415, are "roughly 410x the cost of a mouthpiece." It is on you to explain that statement, not me.

I already stated I don’t think that.

My 410X comment was a bit of hyperbole. Do you understand that explanation? I’ll concede either way. So, now your turn, can you breakdown the cost of trumpet mouthpiece production? Let’s compare Yamaha with Monette; $30 versus $400 retail
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:

No, I don’t think that.

My 410X comment was a bit of hyperbole. Do you understand that explanation? I’ll concede either way. So, now your turn, can you breakdown the cost of trumpet mouthpiece production? Let’s compare Yamaha with Monette; $30 versus $400 retail
Aspeyrer you should stop. You are saying so many ridiculous things. You know how things come at different prices? Shoes? Clothes? Houses? Everything? It's like that with mouthpieces.
Also, a Yamaha mouthpiece is not $30.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Irving wrote:
Why do you think that there are so many mouthpiece makers out there?
Because trumpet players love to buy mouthpieces! It's a fun industry.
That fits me to a T. I like mouthpieces, I like to try them. I like to see what's out there.

EXCEPT I can't afford it any more. And this isn't against Monette. I have several brands of mouthpiece where, in the past, I could afford to get several similar ones and pick what I liked. That's really not possible for me anymore.

I've got lots of Monette mouthpieces, and I'd like to see what the new one does, but I can't justify (TO ME!!) the cost. I am still interested in what others have to say about it.

Like I said before, it's just different times now. I can't afford to operate now like I have in the past. But I still am interested in new mouthpieces and want to hear about them!
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:

No, I don’t think that.

Aspeyrer you should stop. You are saying so many ridiculous things. You know how things come at different prices? Shoes? Clothes? Houses? Everything? It's like that with mouthpieces.
Also, a Yamaha mouthpiece is not $30.

It is ridiculous to compare small shop at Oregon and multinational company and state that they should sell mouthpieces for the same price. I understand that hundred bucks or more may sound a lot for a mouthpiece but you got to understand that making a living by selling $30 mouthpieces is not enough to pay salaries for your workers.

The price is high and $415 is a lot of money but there are custom pieces and gadgets for trumpets and other instruments that cost a lot more. The problem with Monette is the marketing and lack of valid information about the product which make people think that this is something completely new that no one has ever made or can't make. Not true. There are amazing products in the market from several custom makers that plays extremely well or better than any Monette design IMO. They just advertise their designs more professionally without all the mumbo jumbo.
Subtropical and Subpar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:
Aspeyrer wrote:

No, I don’t think that.

Funny how your statement didn't read as hyperbolic to anyone else. Nice attempt at backpedaling, though. As others have noted, Yammie mouthpieces haven't been $30 in some time. More "hyperbole," perhaps?

Once you get your arguments and maths sorted out, we can talk about economies of scale and cross-subsidization and wage differentials and sundry other topics that inform the price of products. Oh, and the cost of gold, since these Monettes are gold-plated. The going rate for a gold-plated Yamaha trumpet mouthpiece appears to be about $105, and they're just gold-plating the rim, not the entire mouthpiece. Gold-plated Bach trumpet mouthpieces, which are entirely gold-plated, are $160 for a standard blank and around $215-220 for a Megatone blank.

So rather than your now-retracted 410x more expensive claim, these Monette Unity mouthpieces are barely 2x as expensive as the 3C Megatone most of us tooted on in high school once we account for the gold plating, and just a scooch over 2.5x more expensive than the 7C most of us had in elementary or middle school, again once we account for the gold plating. For both standard and Megatone Bach mouthpieces, the gold-plating doubles the price. And yes, you must compare gold-plated to gold-plated, at least if you want to appear as if you are arguing in good faith. Or we can take how gold-plated Bach mouthpieces cost 2x as much as non-gold-plated Bach mouthpieces and presume that a non-gold-plated Monette Unity would sell for around $200.
1965 Conn 38A
1995 Bach LR18072
2003 Kanstul 991
2011 Schilke P5-4 B/G
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address the above, cost of plating would be related to surface area and current cost of gold, which is pretty much the same for all trumpet mouthpieces, so it should not be a multiple of the cost of the silver version.

About it being cheaper to buy a Monette versus having a safari, it only works if you're definitely settling with the Monette, because otherwise the safari will cost more with more expensive mouthpieces. Every loss you take is proportional to new purchase cost, usually about 30% or so for reselling a new mouthpiece. Is there any evidence that Monettes fetch a higher percentage of purchase cost on resale over other brands?

The idea above about flying out to Oregon just to try out mouthpieces I personally find to be a ridiculous waste of money, but I am one to agree with the statement often repeated here about there not being magical mouthpieces.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate post deleted

Last edited by Danbassin on Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd simply like to jump in here to say that I reviewed past TH threads on, for example, Bach's launch of the Artisan mouthpiece line, and Schilke's Symphony series...

At no point with any manufacturer EXCEPT Monette do threads become immediately hijacked by 'experts' who have zero interest in playing the equipment, zero background in the design innovations which make Monette different from Bach/Schilke/GR/etc., and have quite literally zero to offer to a productive discussion other than the digital trail of the sounds of their own 'voices.' Frankly, I'm reliably disgusted by these behaviors, and it has a quieting effect on our entire page - people have left TH because of this nonsense, and I have very little doubt that once my Monette Unity mouthpiece arrives, I'd much rather enjoy playing the thing than contributing to what this thread was actually supposed to be about: Monette Unity Mouthpieces - what are they, and how do they play?

As somewhere in the neighborhood of none of us have actually played these mouthpieces between their announcement and the start of this thread, it really is remarkable how much nothing so many of you Monette haters are so willing to share. So, yes - they're an expensive mouthpiece. Also, they represent the culmination of some 36 years of mouthpiece research and development of this unique American artisan firm.

Oh, also - I actually have played one of the prototype designs: one of the testers for Manny's new Unity mouthpiece, during a shop visit over the summer. They are simply excellent, and an improvement on everything Monette has done before. If it weren't for his equipment, I wouldn't be playing trumpet at this point. That is my personal story. His equipment works for me and allows me to make better music more freely, sounding more and more like myself with each 5/10/15 year upgrade...and I've never had to bother with an endless safari for just the right throat, and alpha angle, and backbore, and Bach-like or not-that-Bach-like blank and weight distribution. Dave and Company take care of all of that for me, and I am a loyal customer because I have firsthand experience of how what they do helps me in my life in music.

So, if you're not a Monette person - why don't you take a beat, check out this thread once players who actually care about this equipment are actually playing the new gear, and then maybe we can have a civil discussion. Otherwise, I don't know what - we should all go to every single other non-Monette thread in the Equipment forum and hate on all the other manufacturers!?!?

Go practice!
-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: